OMG silicone lubricating spray.. (1 Viewer)

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
Oh my days, this stuff is brilliant. Bought a can of silicone spray last week, there is now not a squeak or stiffness which has not been sprayed with it. The effects are marvellous. This is my latest best buy, it's made the new Hymers blinds glide beautifully, I've used it on the overhead bed hinge things, in fact I've been spraying it with gay abandon...I may be a bit high....

I've also got a can of graphite spray which I think you use on locks? Haven't tried that yet.

SMB

Apr 26, 2013
Spain
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Fulltiming since February 2013
Is it the same as WD40? Excuse my ignorance of anything that does not connect to the internet

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
Is it the same as WD40? Excuse my ignorance of anything that does not connect to the internet

No, WD40 is an excellent penetrating oil but it should not be used as a lubricant.
Silicone spray when used as an oil, has all the best qualities of a lubricant... non-reactive to most substances, maintains its greasiness in extreme temperature ranges, low friction, and does not oxidize. These same qualities make it an excellent rubber product in hostile environments. Silicone in its many forms is used in airplanes, prosthetic devices, body implants, as a waterproofing for paper and ceramics, as a caulk, adhesive, heat resistant insulator, and as a lubricant.

I used it to lubricate the cars for the main-sail on my yacht and one spray worked for a whole sailing season.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Don't put anything silicone anywhere near any electrical connectors!
Its the best electrical insulator going!

Aslo WD40 does not retain water. It is a water dispersant. The clue is in the name!

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Thanks chaps, Silicone spray has jumped to the top of my shopping list!
Halfords sell it in a similar can to WD40* with a little red tube for squirting into those hard to get at bits.

*The WD stands for Water Dispersant, and the 40 because recipes 1 to 39 didn't work well enough. Originally created as a thing for spraying on rocket bits to stop them corroding. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WD-40

Reactions: SMB
Nov 11, 2013
Tewkesbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL 668
Exp
March 2014
Just be careful you specify "DIY equipment" if you do a search for some on eBay. It's amazing how many other unmentionable bits it lubricates as well.....

Sep 21, 2013
Isle of Wight
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since Apr 2013
The silicon spray is fantastic on the rubber strips around the opening windows of your motorhome. It stops them sticking together and ripping when you try and open them after they've been closed too long

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
Amazing what you learn on here, I didn't realise wd meant that doh!!!
I'll have to avoid that in future.
I've been spraying with abandon also.

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
Silicone spray and grease are brilliant lubricants .... Just don't get them on to surfaces which are due to be painted as it is difficilt to remove and applied paints will not adhere.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
I have some silicone lubricant which is used on a lot of things but for blinds etc, I use my sailing lubricant (McLube) which is a dry lubricant. Brilliant stuff but a bit pricey........

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Blimey I'm amazed people don't know about silicon spray - marvellous for sliding caravan awnings into the rails that hold em!

and that was so long ago, I rather assumed everybody in the world knew about it, cos I'm usually the last LOL

(We (me & #1 husband) had a Hymer caravan by the way LOL)

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
I use it on my rubbers, brilliant stuff, slides in and out no trouble :Eeek:
Slideout rubbers need lubrication :clap2:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Just don't get either product on any type of soft material it will NOT come out!

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Oh my days, this stuff is brilliant. Bought a can of silicone spray last week, there is now not a squeak or stiffness which has not been sprayed with it. The effects are marvellous. This is my latest best buy, it's made the new Hymers blinds glide beautifully, I've used it on the overhead bed hinge things, in fact I've been spraying it with gay abandon...I may be a bit high....

I've also got a can of graphite spray which I think you use on locks? Haven't tried that yet.
Lard is pretty good as well. And it works with chips. (y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back