LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I screwed up on an order to O'Leary's, "can I change this", "certainly".

So off I went to O'Leary's. What a place, every town had the local ironmonger like this, a bit like "Four Candles".

"Do you have a valve for a 1902 Hymer Panzer"
"Yes of course, in white or black".

That sort of place. Here are a few poor quality snaps.....
Oleary1.jpg
oleary2.jpg
oleary3.jpg
oleary4.jpg
oleary5.jpg

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
You ain't seen nothing ... that's just ONE of O'Leary's warehouses! They've got several!!! I know 'cause I did an article on them for a magazine and my main comment then was that it was an "Aladin's cave" ... and it's got bigger!!!

Next time you're coming this way let me know, you can come for a cuppa as we're not far away!

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Pity they no longer attend shows, always managed to find something I 'needed'.
Could not agree more .. Lord knows how much they have taken off us in the first few years we were motorhoming

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Reactions: GJH
OP
OP
hilldweller

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I can imagine they paid a high fee for the large marquee they used to have at Peterborough. Plenty of sales needed to make that back.

And would the sales justify the huge effort ? In this e-commerce world I think they've got it right now.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
And would the sales justify the huge effort ? In this e-commerce world I think they've got it right now.
When we initially had our business we used to attend all the family history fairs in the north east and several in the north west and midlands. We gradually cut them back to the larger ones because the attendance at smaller ones didn't justify the outlay.
We always refused, despite frequent attempts to persuade us, to attend the big WDYTYA event in London. Adding transport and accommodation on top of high exhibition costs made it uneconomic.

f6c

Nov 7, 2010
gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu 640
Exp
23 Years
There was an iron mongers in my home town and some of the prices where in Pounds Shillings & Pence:whistle::whistle::whistle::whistle:

Jun 6, 2012
Leeds
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2012
I ordered a couple of things from them and was very impressed with the service and also received them the very next day

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I did chat to Russ shortly after we got our PVC, this was back in Autumn 2012 just after he'd done the show at Shepton I think, the last one he said he was doing. They'd only decided to do that as Mick O'Leary had bought so much stock from dealers who'd gone out of business that they needed to shift some of it or rent extra warehousing which didn't make economic sense. He said then it wasn't financially viable for them to do the shows anymore due to the high costs of the pitches and transporting all their bits and bobs there to sell, plus of course the time involved organising it all and their then being away from their core business location.

Its a real shame as I used to love going round their stand and always found something that I didn't know I needed ... or being able to definitely get what I DID need!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back