Free Member
Aug 10, 2019
Funster No
MH
Don’t own one yet
Exp
I’m a newbie
Hi
Please can anyone help with my questions regarding purchase of an older Hymer? I've seen one I absolutely love, but I'm conscious that there are considerations I need to have before spending all my savings! Firstly, the interior is fabulous- layout is perfect and loads of great extras. The considerations are:
LH drive and manual - any advice please?
19 years old - breakdown cover? Been lovingly maintained, but what should I look out for? It's diesel, mot until July next year .....
Any advice very welcome as I'm sure there a mountain of things I've not yet thought of!
Many thanks

Flamenca

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 21, 2013
Europe
Funster No
MH
Hymer 564
Exp
Since 2010
My 27 year old Hymer is still on the road and there are many even older around.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

EastAngler

Free Member
Apr 23, 2019
Bury St Edmunds
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 1993
Exp
Join the Classic Hymers & Hymermarket groups on Facebook, loads of information and advice on CH and loads of vans advertised on the market (to help you get a feel for pricing).

Mine is 26 years old, LHD, Fiat 2.5TD and manual and runs well.

Upvote 0
Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
LHD is ok once you get used to right hand gear changes.
Is it on a fiat ducato ?
Get the chassis checked for rust, sump and front crossmember under radiator are common areas to corrode, easily dealt with but in the main chassis can be a big problem.
Looked after and serviced they go on for years.

Upvote 0

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
My 19 year old Hymer 754 is just short of 200000kms and pulls like a train. I am just returning from a 3 month tour of Europe and the only issue is a broken speedo cable. That era of Hymer was by far the best in my opinion before the beancounters took control. Regarding breakdown cover, Nationwide building society give breakdown cover for any vehicle up to 7.5 tons regardless of age anywhere in Europe. Some of the horror stories we now hear about new vans being not fit for purpose make an older Hymer seem far more attractive.

Upvote 0

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
Best era for Hymers, quality dropped off later.
Ours is a B584 3 berth, 2001 & (apart from a paint issue on the bumpers) is a fantastic van!

Upvote 0

Rob and Val

Free Member
Oct 17, 2010
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Talbot Compass Calypso
Exp
Since July 2010
Might be an idea to check its MOT history to see if it's been in need of any chassis work.
If you know the reg. no. you can check here: -
Broken Link Removed

Upvote 0
Oct 24, 2007
Funster No
Ours is 27 yes old. We are off to the classic hymer meet next week where there are about 200 motorhomes going.
We use Nationwide flex plus account for breakdown ( and ADAC which you can't get now and not sure if it's going to be any use soon!)
Otherwise the age can be a problem for breakdown cover although I believe you can get it through some insurance policies.
As has been said already the classic hymer Facebook group is a mine of information

Upvote 0

TuftyTwo

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 years and Loving it
I have a 1993 B 644 and wouldn't hesitate to recommend them. Be sure to have the gearbox oil level checked before you part with any cash. Apparently some have been known to lose their oil and fail. Repair / replacements will be expensive and difficult to source.

Upvote 0
Oct 24, 2015
Helgas house
Funster No
MH
hymer e650 battered!!
Exp
None
Hi
Please can anyone help with my questions regarding purchase of an older Hymer? I've seen one I absolutely love, but I'm conscious that there are considerations I need to have before spending all my savings! Firstly, the interior is fabulous- layout is perfect and loads of great extras. The considerations are:
LH drive and manual - any advice please?
19 years old - breakdown cover? Been lovingly maintained, but what should I look out for? It's diesel, mot until July next year .....
Any advice very welcome as I'm sure there a mountain of things I've not yet thought of!
Many thanks

I have a 99 Hymer, rhd, great merc engine, I have had her for 4 years, and she’s never missed a beat! S650 model,, lots of extras too!

The only thing I have to now consider is that safeguard, my ins co, will no longer give me breakdown and recovery cover, when she reaches 20,,, wichnin my case will end in December when I have to renew again!

I have no idea if all companies do this, but safeguard does! Good luck with it all,, Ian

Upvote 0

Fab

Free Member
Sep 10, 2019
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer
Exp
Since 2017
We have 29 year old still going strong. Classic Hymer group on Facebook is a great place to start. Full of great information and helpful people.

Upvote 0
May 23, 2013
Not on the Coast East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B504
Exp
Since 2013
Just a Consideration on where you are likely to go and whether the emission zones such as France or Germany would cause any concerns. We had a 2001 and had to avoid a couple of places in Germany this year but no major drama.

Upvote 0

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
See what the age limit is for breakdown cover. Some I think is 20 years.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back