EastAngler

Free Member
Apr 23, 2019
Bury St Edmunds
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 1993
Exp
Have spent today looking at a few MHs. As per my Introduce Yourself thread we are newbies and looked at a couple of private sale vans and a good few at Wellsbridge in Ramsey.

Our thinking is that we will start with something quite cheap top see whether we like the life and liked the layout of the older Hymer B544s.

Can I ask for your views on this one please? Broken Link Removed

It has been owned by one couple since imported in 2004 who obviously cared for it. Full set of service stamps, MOT certs and a lot of service invoices etc along with an "owners handbook" he (recently deceased) put together with notes / photos on equipment and how things work.

Couldn't see one for Cambelt so am assuming I need to get that done at next Service / MOT in July. Any idea what that is likely to cost?

Wondering about payload - The rating plate shows:

2800Kg permissible total weight with Front Axle at 1600 and Rear at 1700.

It will just be 2 of us with 2 dogs (about 40Kg together) and associated stuff for long weekends in tht main but would like to take pop-up gazebo, picnic table / chairs and a small BBQ for example.

Not sure what it weighs at the moment but can anyone with experience of this model offer a view? It has what looks like the original sun awning, leisure battery, top box and cycle rack so guess they will have eaten into it.

Final query for now - Any idea why it has an aerial either side of the cab? If you zoom in on the windscreen pillars you can see them.

Thanks

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
If you get stopped the only weight the police will be interested in is what is on the plate. Think it's definitely worth talking to SV Tech about getting it uprated.

Denise

Upvote 0

Mel

Free Member
Oct 6, 2012
De Haan Belgium
Funster No
MH
Caravan LMC
Exp
Since 2010 Caravan since 1995
Nice MH
Enjoy
It will always be worth what you paid for it.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
E

EastAngler

Free Member
Apr 23, 2019
Bury St Edmunds
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 1993
Exp
Ok Been to the weighbridge today. 1220Kg front axle, 1320Kg rear axle and 2540Kg overall. That leaves 260Kg payload.

Shade under half tank diesel, half tank fresh water, no people in it and minimal personal stuff.

Not ideal but at least it's legal and I have a bit of time to investigate uprating.

All set for my solo test outing near home, Kings Forest Caravan Park in West Stow, Suffolk - www.kingsforestholidays.co.uk.

Nice site, friendly relaxed owners and right on the edge of the forest. If you are into horses they have stables as well and direct access to forest bridle paths.

Bury St. Edmunds is about 10 minutes away, and even though I am biased, it's a lovely market town to visit f you want to stay over this way.

Upvote 0

Mark and Mindy

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2017
Nr Bicester
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640 SGX
Exp
Since 2019
Ok Been to the weighbridge today. 1220Kg front axle, 1320Kg rear axle and 2540Kg overall. That leaves 260Kg payload.

Shade under half tank diesel, half tank fresh water, no people in it and minimal personal stuff.

Not ideal but at least it's legal and I have a bit of time to investigate uprating.

All set for my solo test outing near home, Kings Forest Caravan Park in West Stow, Suffolk - www.kingsforestholidays.co.uk.

Nice site, friendly relaxed owners and right on the edge of the forest. If you are into horses they have stables as well and direct access to forest bridle paths.

Bury St. Edmunds is about 10 minutes away, and even though I am biased, it's a lovely market town to visit f you want to stay over this way.
Thanks for the info on the Caravan Park, my mum is in a care home in Bury St Edmunds and we visit regularly, took the van last time and found a site further over towards Lowestoft - https://www.jaydenetouringcaravanpark.co.uk - lovely small adult only site, we were down the bottom on the right when looking at the picture.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back