Older Fiat Ducato Turbo Hose - Worth Checking (1 Viewer)

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
On a recent trip I'd noticed my 2005 Fiat Ducato 2.3 JTD's MPG had dropped a bit. On our latest trip I heard a distinct 'pop' sound whilst cruising down the Brum Toll Road at 70mph and suddenly I couldn't get it to go over 60mph. The culprit was the jubilee clip on the turbo hose, which had worked loose with vibration (see arrow below) causing the hose to pop off:

Broken Link Removed

Not the first time either - it went very early on when we bought it new 10 years ago. The Fiat factory fitted clip appeared to be Space Alien technology, as no known human tool could adjust it or re-fit it. The recovery guy who attended at the time replaced it with a standard jubilee clip and gave me a spare one just in case.

Fair enough, it's taken a decade to go again, but this time I was able to fix it very quickly at the roadside with a screwdriver before getting straight on with our trip. Not only that, but the MPG improved noticeably.

I thought I'd share this experience with fellow old Ducato owners in the hope that it might spare you some future bother. My advice is:

1. Before any long trip check this clip is fully tightened, especially if engine performance has been flagging recently.
2. If you've still got the original Space Alien Fiat clip on the hose, carry a spare jubilee clip of suitable size in case it pops, then you won't have to wait ages for roadside recovery.

You have not been charged for this service :)

grasscutter

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 11, 2009
East Wittering. West Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis i588
Exp
Started in 1980
Also beware. My turbo hose was rubbing against the top of the radiator and wore through while we were in Spain. Thankfully Fiat garage in Benidorm got me a replacement within three days.

Jan 10, 2015
East sussex
Funster No
MH
2002 Eura mobile
Exp
Since 2014
Same here, top turbo hose blew off 3 times before i sussed it was the clip. Replaced & now carry a spare. The other turbo has now cracked slightly. Apart from fiat anybody know where I can get a replacement?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 29, 2017
Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Champ H621
Exp
15yrs
Try Coastal Motorhomes
They have been very helpful to me in sorting out filters on out 2005 2.8JTD
Mike & Ann

Jan 29, 2017
Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Champ H621
Exp
15yrs
It was so bumpy on trip to Donegal that the rad bottom hose rubbed on a bracket and wore thru. When its stationary there is at least a 40mm gap!
Mike & Ann

Trout bum

Free Member
Sep 7, 2016
Ayr
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix M670SL
Exp
I always carry some emergency tape with me it can be a god send if any hose bursts it can take seriously high pressure and temperature and you can use it even on wet surfaces great stuff to have on board

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 29, 2017
Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Champ H621
Exp
15yrs
Yes that's what I used. First met it on PO as tape self amalgamating it was used to do a short term repair on cables but bear in mind it doesn't like UV as it's designed for underground . Works well though and literally bonds to itself as long as you stretch it 50%
Mike

Trout bum

Free Member
Sep 7, 2016
Ayr
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix M670SL
Exp
That's it Mike although the stuff I get is Called Rescue tape and it can handle uv no problem I even use it for maintenance at work on the hoses on our laser cutting machines , while we wait for new hoses from Germany it's pulled us out of a few holes as they say , great stuff

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back