Older diesels may be banned from some German cities (1 Viewer)

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
When 82% of all German diesels are euro4 or worse & 85% of all vehicles in spain are diesel I think it will be a long time coming.

We're on the slippery slope for sure Gus and I certainly don't think it will be that long before we see some big changes.

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Not that the aircraft flying over the cities dumping fuel is a problem(n)

If, on the odd occasion that aircraft have to dump fuel to get down to landing weight due to an emergency then ATC direct them to a pre-determined dump area, often over the sea but away from populated areas.

Worldwide it probably happens a handful of times on longhaul flights, since on shorthaul the take-off weight is often within the landing weight since the fuel load is low.

Geoff

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
If, on the odd occasion that aircraft have to dump fuel to get down to landing weight due to an emergency then ATC direct them to a pre-determined dump area, often over the sea but away from populated areas.

Worldwide it probably happens a handful of times on longhaul flights, since on shorthaul the take-off weight is often within the landing weight since the fuel load is low.

Geoff

Interesting point Geoff, though it doesn`t explain when I park at airports for a length of time why when I pick my car up the shine has totally gone and my car plus everyone else`s is covered in Kerosene.

Pernickety

Free Member
Mar 4, 2018
Scottyland, the boring bit in the middle
Funster No
MH
None, still looking
Exp
And if I get a Euro6 today, how long's that going to last? Three/four years till what, Euro7? Maybe I should plan to leave a hole in the roof for mast and sails?

When 82% of all German diesels are euro4 or worse & 85% of all vehicles in spain are diesel I think it will be a long time coming.
Agreed, there's a heck of a lot of diesel infrastructure outside of cities still. I think this will more of a problem for city dwellers rather than coastal wanderers.

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Interesting point Geoff, though it doesn`t explain when I park at airports for a length of time why when I pick my car up the shine has totally gone and my car plus everyone else`s is covered in Kerosene.

I did not say there was no pollution, just that aircraft very rarely dump fuel(as in unburnt Jet A1 ) from the fuel tanks, and if they do it is away from conurbations.

Geoff

joka250

Free Member
Jul 29, 2017
Fylde Coast.
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1985
Obviously for all of us any further restrictions on diesel vehicles wether Euro 1 or 21 is a worry but i feel many of the new restrictions, particularly Germany, will be city wide not country wide and in effect much like current 3.5 ton limits, a pain at times but not insurmountable. I'm sure we will work around it, and I'm not known for optimism.

Cheshirecat57

Free Member
Feb 3, 2018
Mid Cheshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years on and off
Here's my bit
Euro 6 diesel is massively cleaner than a 12 year okd Euro3 diesel
Euro 7 will not be a quantum leap foward from E6, certainly not enough to justify any penalty for E6 engines in 5 years

With the exception of major cities ( which dont operate in most peoples real world- London in particular) the other proposed ULEZ zones will police themselves in the medium term
For example if Nottingham brings a charge zone in, and Derby for example doesnt, how long will it be before all the formers shops are empty unless they spend billions on public transport.........they can throw s**t loads at London....but not Nottingham

Im not burying my head, I just think its council bullshit

Old gas central heating boilers and cows farting are a problem, but much harder to tax, so they leave them alone

Cheshirecat57

Free Member
Feb 3, 2018
Mid Cheshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years on and off
Remember Spain only has to “say” that it will comply to get the grants, apparently it doesn’t actually “have” to comply to anything

Aug 2, 2017
South Kent Coast.
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2004
I always recommend to new members on here looking for their first van to buy as near to new as possible.
Buying earlier vans built in Germany are a special case but most are still being pulled along by Euro 3 /4 / 5 Fiat diesel engines.

Cheshirecat57

Free Member
Feb 3, 2018
Mid Cheshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years on and off
If i ever want to visit Paris, i cant imagine it will not be in a 7 metre+ motorhome thats for sure
I will park 20kms away and get the train

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
I remember the £2 a litre fuel scare a few years ago. Everyone ran to the dealers trying to get rid of 4x4's and thirsty petrols. Wiped tens of thousands of some cars.

You try buying a Petrol Range Rover, BMW X5 or a Mercedes V8 Petrol cheap now!

No chance.

We live in a Suburb of South Manchester that has a traffic corridor running past the M60. We are choked with Diesel fumes and pollution. But its not really old motorhomes. Its fairly new badly maintained cars, vans and older trucks, busses and coaches.

You should see some of the crap that comes out of peoples car exhausts.

I think there should be more roadside checks for pollution. Ill bet many of the cars have no or bent MOT's and are uninsured with no RFL.

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
Getting rid of old motors is ok but a lot of low paid people rely on old motors to get to work as many low paid jobs start or finish when there is no public transport. I guess you got to add up if it’s cheaper to pay them dole money or let them use old motors

Cheshirecat57

Free Member
Feb 3, 2018
Mid Cheshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years on and off
Getting rid of old motors is ok but a lot of low paid people rely on old motors to get to work as many low paid jobs start or finish when there is no public transport. I guess you got to add up if it’s cheaper to pay them dole money or let them use old motors
You have,to a certain extent, hit the proverbial nail on the head
Getting rid of old motors is quite a hot potato, politically

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
You have,to a certain extent, hit the proverbial nail on the head
Getting rid of old motors is quite a hot potato, politically
And you’re quite lucky up there with the public transport system in Manchester with its trams, but I bet it’s far from perfect.

Cheshirecat57

Free Member
Feb 3, 2018
Mid Cheshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years on and off
And you’re quite lucky up there with the public transport system in Manchester with its trams, but I bet it’s far from perfect.
We live 30 miles West of Manchester, the train takes over an hour! Several times a day, but make sure you dont want to stay after 10 at night
Public transport in MOST of the north is a joke to be honest,if you are slightly out of town

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back