olden days (1 Viewer)

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
I use to help out on a Paraffin round on a Saturday. Think it was a shilling a gallon for Esso Blue....

My old mum had a hardwhere shop and she had a paraffin tank at the back it held 400 gallons it cost £60 pounds to fill it to the top.
She sold it at 22p a gallon making 5p a gallon profit she used to get a good living Frome it I used to deliver
I used to deliver it all over the village and the local town after school and at weekends I got 5p for every 5 gallons plus tips I delivered with my bike and a trailer I made from a old pram and box
I could make £15 in a week::bigsmile: age 13to16
some grown men weren't making that for 8hr day
bill

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
now I can remember spangles. then you could get all black ones. and going to the pictures with 2/6p take your girl friend. two 9p seats. two orange ices, at 3p. and then two bags of chips at 3p a packet. go home broke , but had a goodnight. and they used to show two films for that.

O

Old Soldier

Deleted User
My old mum had a hardwhere shop and she had a paraffin tank at the back it held 400 gallons it cost £60 pounds to fill it to the top.
She sold it at 22p a gallon making 5p a gallon profit she used to get a good living Frome it I used to deliver
I used to deliver it all over the village and the local town after school and at weekends I got 5p for every 5 gallons plus tips I delivered with my bike and a trailer I made from a old pram and box
I could make £15 in a week::bigsmile: age 13to16
some grown men weren't making that for 8hr day
bill

Can't remember the price but remember the small Esso Blue ( and pink ) tankers that Sid, the driver and I use to use. I guess I was 15. Came home stinking of the stuff! :oops2:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Can't remember the price but remember the small Esso Blue ( and pink ) tankers that Sid, the driver and I use to use. I guess I was 15. Came home stinking of the stuff! :oops2:
only reason I know the price is on a Wednesday I had to pay the tanker driver he always delivered on a Wednesday at 5pm we were the last on the run and mum used to count out the money in to my hand
and my job was to sell the paraffin at the back of the shop the back boor.
I had to fill the one gallon measuring container to exactly the line then dis pence in to there contemnors.
we used to get weights and meuars send folk for paraffin we were the only place never find for short measuring or wrong calibration.
and on a few occasions advised that we were over issuing word got around and we were never short of folks to shell it to
bill

Last edited:
OP
OP
parknride

parknride

Free Member
Jan 21, 2014
cumbria
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 1988
[QUOTE

Try this :)

Thank you thank you thank you! That is brilliant what memories. Been watching it for ages - still not finished yet. Didn't they speak rather posh on the adverts????

Easyliving

Free Member
Dec 4, 2012
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
Perhaps we sat together or we threw cans at each other.! I use to live in Barnet from time to time in the 50s ( 41 Mays Lane ) and often went to the Odeon just down the road!! :emo::emo::emo::emo::emo::emo::emo::emo::wait:

Wow, I also lived in Mays Lane for a while, at number 305. You must have been at the posh end!

whoa

Free Member
May 2, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
It's been sold, no more
Exp
I'm a newbie
As a kid, my favourites were wagon wheels which I always remembered as being large round chocolate and biscuit discs, but as I grew up they seemed to get smaller, also sherbet dips with the liquorice straw, well that's how I used it, but it used to block up, and sherbet up the nose is not good, not quite like snorting but did make you sneeze, and farthings were still around at primary school we either took in silver or milk bottle tops for the blind associations, and farthings for some other collections, or was I at St trinians, and this was the betting money for the dogs or horse racing syndicates:LOL::cool::pinocchio:

O

Old Soldier

Deleted User
As a kid, my favourites were wagon wheels which I always remembered as being large round chocolate and biscuit discs, but as I grew up they seemed to get smaller, also sherbet dips with the liquorice straw, well that's how I used it, but it used to block up, and sherbet up the nose is not good, not quite like snorting but did make you sneeze

Me and my twin Sister did the same!! And yes, they are mini wheels these days!! I loved Victory V's, I think you can still get them? ::bigsmile:

O

Old Soldier

Deleted User
Wow, I also lived in Mays Lane for a while, at number 305. You must have been at the posh end!

Brilliant, bet you went to Underhill Primary School too?
We use to stay at times with my Aunty in Mays Lane as Dad was in the Army. Bet you knew them....the Smith's !!:clap:

Easyliving

Free Member
Dec 4, 2012
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
Its a tradition that my wife still buys me sherbet fountains for Christmas (no, that's not my only present!) I still have a supply of them in the van at the moment.

I remember reading the ingredients in Victory V's, contained some really weird stuff like chloroform!

@ Old Soldier - don't tell me you went to Underhill / Elizabeth Allen schools?

Paul

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Jeez ! you old farts are just like the Curtain Twitcher over the road!

""In 1951 I could fill me motorbike up for xxxx, you could buy a 3 bedroom bungalow for xxxx!"

I was born in 1940, I can't even remember how much I paid for anything! Don't even care!

All I DO know is; When I arrived in NZ, Xmas eve, at mid day, I had $NZ3 in my pocket, which was enough for a packet of Rothmans 25s and 2 jugs of beer while I was waiting for me mate to pick me up from the pub in Wellington after he attended his Xmas do.

whoa

Free Member
May 2, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
It's been sold, no more
Exp
I'm a newbie
Rangi on that basis in comparison I'm a whippersnapper compared to you, at 13 years younger, so all I ever heard was oldies moaning about the young people (me) and the world, so that's what we learnt from the oldies, it's either moaning or reminiscing or having our turn at it, I really don't want to do the Monty Python sketch when I were young we live 36 in a cardboard box etc, but I'm not old yet(y):rolleyes::reel:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I well remember my then girl friend and I going on a bus to the Odean to see Barberella .. After we left, into Wimpy's for burger chips and a milk shake ( and it WAS milk back then ) and then the bus home.. Just got change of ten bob !!

Gong back further.. crisps ( with the blue bag of salt ) 3d, loaf of bread 5d, pint of milk was about 6d

I still remember seeing a new house ( BIG for the day.. 3 bedroom ) go up for sale with a big banner on it.. £500

Simon

Free Member
Aug 29, 2014
Ramsgate, Kent
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 600
Exp
First year under our belt!
Can you remember the cost of things when you were young?
I can remember fish and chips being 7d for a fish and 3d for chips wi' bits on. I think.

Any others?

You also have to remember how much you were paid at the time. That usually brings the old buggers down a bit :)

O

Old Soldier

Deleted User
Its a tradition that my wife still buys me sherbet fountains for Christmas (no, that's not my only present!) I still have a supply of them in the van at the moment.

I remember reading the ingredients in Victory V's, contained some really weird stuff like chloroform!

@ Old Soldier - don't tell me you went to Underhill / Elizabeth Allen schools?

Paul

Paul....You're not my long lost missing step brother are you? :giggler:

Dec 11, 2011
Nr Hastings, East Sussex
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail Tracker RL
Exp
since 2010
fag and a match for a penny (old one) from the local shop - us 10 year olds couldn't afford to buy a pack! Oh yes - they were Cadets, if you remember that brand.

... nostalgia ... it's not what it used to be ;-)

OP
OP
parknride

parknride

Free Member
Jan 21, 2014
cumbria
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 1988
Rangi on that basis in comparison I'm a whippersnapper compared to you, at 13 years younger, so all I ever heard was oldies moaning about the young people (me) and the world, so that's what we learnt from the oldies, it's either moaning or reminiscing or having our turn at it, I really don't want to do the Monty Python sketch when I were young we live 36 in a cardboard box etc, but I'm not old yet(y):rolleyes::reel:
And when did that sketch come out?

You also have to remember how much you were paid at the time. That usually brings the old buggers down a bit :)

I wasn't working, was only a kid and scared of going to the chippy in the dark..:crying::crying:

OP
OP
parknride

parknride

Free Member
Jan 21, 2014
cumbria
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 1988
fag and a match for a penny (old one) from the local shop - us 10 year olds couldn't afford to buy a pack! Oh yes - they were Cadets, if you remember that brand.
I remember 5 park drive in a small carton, don't know how much...was about 14 yr
first wage was£2. 6 shillings and 6p.

£8.50 woollies cashier

O

Old Soldier

Deleted User

Yes, I remember the corner shop near School in Leighton Buzzard selling us fags in ones and fives. Embassy no 1, Players ( I think ) no 10, Navy Cut and Woodbines......

O

Old Soldier

Deleted User
first wage was£2. 6 shillings and 6p.

Can't remember what Sid gave me for helping on parrafin round but do remember that my first weekly wage in the Army was 10/6. Seemed a fortune at the time!! :happy:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back