Old vans - do they need power steering? (1 Viewer)

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
You lot are whimps worrying about no PAS on an old van. That was all we had at one time and a fully laden 5 tonne lorry was shall we say hard work. The older drivers fitted a ball on the steering which really helped
Five tonne,,child's play,,On an eight legged you had fifteen ton on the back and two steering Axel's to steer..Stand up job when shunting..Faster you drove the lighter the steering. BUSBYšŸ˜€šŸ˜€

Apr 12, 2012
N/E Lincs
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Rienza
Exp
as above
When I was doing my class two test in the army I had a newish AEC with power steering and a synchro box for training.
When it came to test day my boss allocated me my own truck and told me to take my test in it. I think Montgomery would have been proud of it in his army.
It was an AEC with no power steering, crash gearbox and an Atlas Crane on the back of the cab.
It was a hot summers day and to do the reverse bit of the test I had to stand up to heave the steering over. My legs and arms were like jelly after that. Fortunately I had done the road drive first. The tester said he couldnā€™t fail me out of sympathy.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back