Old Timers Need Help (1 Viewer)

pierrpoint

Free Member
Jul 24, 2010
Funster No
Hi everyone,no info about us yet just joined,but plenty of questions,just a bout to dump the house and all responsibility for a life on the road,.first question how big a motor home to buy just me, her,one jacko,and two cat,s all trained i might add, and trussed,we live in France at the moment but that end,s in September,as we want to start our,adventure in the uk,will a large rv,say 30 ft, be a problem with parking e.t.c.are there any special routes to take due to the size of the motor home any advice from you freedom junkies.

Last edited by a moderator:

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
Hi and welcome

sounds as if you are planning an adventure, I will leave it for the fulltimers and those wth RVs to answer your question

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Hi and welcome,if you are fulltiming IMO you need 30 ft but no longer.
Once you get above 30ft you start to pay premiums on ferries and campsites that can take above 30ft.
IMO you need 30ft to store all the stuff you carry around and have a sertain amount of comfort.
I know many do manage with smaller campers when fulltiming but this is only my opinion based on trial and error.
It is possible to fulltime in a tent,as I know one person that does but would you realy want too???.
It all depends on the level of comfort you have been used to and which you now require.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
Well worth while trawling this and RVOC for Full Timing threads, worth purchasing this www.the-big-pitch-guide.com as it will give you a lot of sites suited to larger vehicles and the best ways to approach them. Apart from that keep watching here

Welcome and good luck enjoy

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Hi and welcome to the site. Englands roads are not as good as France and are a lot more crowded. You will find yourself restricted (on the whole to major routes and campsites, though the further north you go the more truck laybyes and opportunities for wild parking, camping call it what you will.
30ft will limit you in the towns and villages so you will need a toad for shopping. do the cats have to be chipped and passported the same as a dog? Get the regs right or you could find yourself with a massive quarentine bill. good luck with the new life and keep us all informed of developements. Lots of bargain RV's out there at the moment, Dealers will give you a warrenty whilst private sellers and eBay will not so you pays you money and makes your choice. You will be buying a fully furnished home so take your time in deciding, you will have to live with it every day.

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
wow! What an adventure you are about to embark on..... sounds wonderful if not also full of a big learning curve. I think you have already been given the best advice by whoever told you to join this site.... from hereon things can only get better..... Looking forward to hearing your tales and adventures.:Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Hi and welcome,

Why buy a big RV, there are plenty of Tag axle Coachbuilts and A class motorhomes about with loads of room and storage plus good winterizing.

If you over 70 or getting near that age watch out for C1 qualification on driving licence for vans over 3500kg

Peter

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back