LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi does anyone know the name of a program /patch to make old games play on the newer computers? I came across a old copy of Dionakra that we put away years ago when we stopped using windows 98. I have been told that such a thing is available by a mate but he cannot remember it's name, anyone know of it ? thanks
terry

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Hi Terry,

I run Virtual Machines in VMWare for exactly that reason.

You can run any operating system/systems in it's/their own workspace.:thumb:

Here's a similar resolution.You need a fairly well-specced machine with reasonable ram and plenty of hard disk space.

You can stop and start individual operating systems (virtual machines) at will.

I believe Microsoft do a free version. HERE----http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...02-3199-48a3-afa2-2dc0b40a73b6&displaylang=en

Regards Steve.

How to bring back Windows 98
First of all, round up a copy of Windows 98 and the appropriate registration key. Next, and we're sure this also won't be much of a shocker, you'll need to grab and install Link Removed.
Now for the juicy bit: installing Windows 98. Run Virtual PC (it'll be in the root of your Start menu) and you'll instantly be faced with the installation wizard, which will take you through the process. Choose 'Create a virtual machine', name it, then choose the OS you're installing. It may seem small, but it's best to stick with the default allocation of 64MB RAM for a Windows 98 installation.
Next, you'll build a virtual hard drive – Choose 'A new virtual hard disk', and keep the default size. Now that your VM is configured, it's time to install Windows. Just double-click the VM within the VirtualPC Console, click 'CD', then, depending on your media, either select 'Capture ISO image' or the appropriate 'use physical drive' option for your chosen optical drive. It's more convenient to use an ISO file rather than a physical CD, although both mediums are equally applicable here.
Now simply install Windows 98 to your liking. Don't be afraid if it appears to be formatting your C drive: this is a virtual machine, meaning your main PC is safe.
The final step once your guest OS has booted up is to install VirtualPC's toolkit, which ensures good communication between your guest and host OS.
Just go to 'Action' and select 'Install or update Virtual Machine add-ons'. If you don't do this, you'll generally have problems tunnelling your network and internet connections through your host and guest OS.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Terry

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
OK Steve :thumb: it is all over my head :ROFLMAO: but I am sure it will make sense to my mate :thumb: when he gets down here to do it in a few days time.This will get me no end of brownie points with the boss who has been asking for this game back for years :thumb:
thanks terry

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Terry

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Steve I have just phoned my mate and he says he understand what you say but the problem for him will be windows 98 OS :ROFLMAO: he threw it in the bin (with the copy of mine that he gave me ) a very long time ago :ROFLMAO:
terry

andycotterell

Free Member
Apr 13, 2009
Europe-wide
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Don't know if you find a fix for this already, but what you need to do is run the game in "compatibility mode". Right click on the .exe file that runs the game and you'll see the options under Properties.
If you are using a dual-core machine, once the the game is running, pause it, bring up Windows Task Manager, right click on the process that represents the game, choose "Set Affinity" and then switch one of the cores off.

OP
OP
Terry

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi my mate came in and took about 2 mins to tell the computer to run the game in a 98 comparable mode :thumb: yesterday :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:He came with the idea of partitioning my HD but there was no need :thumb: Simple when you know how :Doh: Did not understand how he did it but it was very easy so if anyone is stuck the same as me I can alwaysask him how he did it :ROFLMAO: about 4 clicks of the mouse :Sad::ROFLMAO::thumb:
terry

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back