Old American RVs - pros/cons? (1 Viewer)

Clouseau

Free Member
Jun 12, 2019
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Hello
New to this forum. This is my first post.
I have, for some time now, been considering buying a motorhome. And more recently looking at what sizes and age of vehicle are available in my budget of up to 15K max. I am a UK expat currently living in France where motorhomes are very popular and roads very quiet.
In my search, I keep coming across old American RVs which tend to be (a) from the late nineties (b) in need of some TLC, (c) have much larger engines, but are also very large and spacious and come with a host of fixtures and fittings that you don't seem to get on smaller yet younger European vans.
My heart says go for it, but my head says get something more modern, simpler and less old. I am not so much bothered about MPG and insurance but I don't want to have to be constantly repairing an old van. I only intend short trips to the coast around France several hours away.
I'd be very interested to hear the views/experience/advice (good or bad) of anyone who has had the same predicament in terms of buying (or not) an old American motorhome versus a smaller newer less equipped camper.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Your main problem will be trying to import an American RV into France. I sold one years ago to a Frenchman and he found it impossible to get it French registered.

Upvote 0

thebriars

Free Member
Oct 20, 2018
Teesside
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 1990
I've hired 5 US RVs of various sorts and none have been as well equipped as my current new motorhome. The only thing they often have is an onboard genny. While you might not be bothered about mpg, even a medium sized one only does 10-12mpg. The other thing they have is a tank for the toilet waste, and black waste emptying points are not always easy to find.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Listen to Snowbird.
Even importing a used European motorhome into France is a nightmare.
If it doesn't fit their strict criteria for a motorhome it doesn't get registered.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
C

Clouseau

Free Member
Jun 12, 2019
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Thanks all.

I appreciate the difficulties of the French authorities. If I cannot find an already French registered US van then I would likely buy in the UK and tax/insure in the UK and use as and when I needed to tour UK and France. I still have a house in the UK so would keep it there.

So I am basically still asking the same question I posted about whether anyone would buy a much older US camper vs a newer European one. Especially regarding spare parts availability, general usability of a longer van, ease of obtaining breakdown assistance with a van from the 90's etc?

Thanks for tip about toilet tank waste.

Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Most spares for the engine and running gear will be available, it's the parts made specifically for the RV you will likely have trouble with.
Black tank emptying is not a problem, many sites have ground level facilities for European vans to dump their grey tanks and you can use them.

Upvote 0

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
If you think you can get around the French registration process then there is no problem to running an older RV.
I have owned several over the years, all with Cummins diesel engines, which are virtually bombproof and parts available anywhere in Europe,as its the same engine fitted to the DAF 7.5 tonner. You can expect around 18 MPG from this running gear, so it will not break the bank. What you do have to watch out for, is if the vehicle has been properly maintained, as many due to there size have not. Many people that buy RVs, do few miles in them and maintenance is not high on there list of priorities. Tyres are neglected and old, and expensive to replace, the older 19.5 tyres are like finding hens teeth in the UK, and unheard of in Europe. I have run 2 older RVs around North Africa and above the Arctic Circle, both costing less than £10K, but I spent a month checking them over before leaving. Parts are available from the States within 3 days if not available here in the UK and are reasonably priced. One thing that does seem to go wrong with older RVs is the fridge packs up, so make sure that is working, if not £1500 to replace it. Remember that most RVs are 110 volt with a transformer to bring it up to 220 Euro spek. If not converted properly, this can be problematic. Many older RV owners are enthusiasts and do there own maintenance and repairs as finding a good RV mechanic that knows what he is doing is not easy or cheap. Bear in mind that owning one of these things is not like owning a gun, where you can keep it in a gun safe for months bringing it out a couple of times a year and use it. They require regular care and maintenance. Good luck with your search, you will need it, and allow a good contingency fund for the many problems you will encounter.

Upvote 0
Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
I’m not aware of what complications you might meet importing to France but there are plenty of RVs available here to buy.
Having had RVs myself the main advantages over eurovans are slideouts giving much more living space, always a sizeable bed, lots of locker space and a sizeable payload , on board generator and holding tanks which can be emptied using a wastehog/ tote tank if no drive over dump point.
Disadvantages are fuel economy but if LPG converted or diesel then not bad for a 7 ton vehicle. Also width is a consideration as most are around 2.5 m .
Spares are readily available/obtainable in U.K.
If you have a decent budget and the licence to drive a vehicle above 3500kgs then there are some real beauties available.
Might be worth looking in to sister site www.rvoc.co.uk which is RV dedicated .
Good luck.

Upvote 0

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
We bought our first RV new in 1990, and it was a V8 diesel, did after run in about 14 mpg

Dash air con, roof air con, genny, heated holding tanks, 6 gallon hot water, electric and gas, double door fridge freezer with ice maker, glass double glazed windows, outside shower, Corian worktops, microwave hob and oven, sitz bath in the bathroom, and massive holding tanks

Since then we have had eight more RV’s and love the space and the toys

Dumping is easy, especially in France, where even the rest aires often have drive over dumping facilities, and loads of Aires have them to. I have a “tote tank” which is basically a bigger Thetford cassette (those little plastic pots European motorhome owners have to poo in ;)) so if I want to I can dump the tanks where cassettes are emptied.

I would rather buy back my 1990 Gulf Stream that my 1989 Kon Tiki

Upvote 0
Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
Usually an American is a better bang for your buck than a Eurovan , they are much roomier with slide out .
The smaller RVs are about the same build robustness as a Eurovan , but when you get into the bigger RVs they are far more durable , as they are not being built down to weight constraints . MPG is not that bad my 12 tonne 12mtr was a solid 14mpg . They can have all facilities including on board washer drier . The bigger ones use 22.5 truck/bus tyres . Most running servicing etc can be dealt with by truck/bus garages . Breakdown was handled thru RAC arrivals ( I never needed it) . You can get parts with out too much bother
I had a windscreen replaced within 5 days from USA . It depends on what you want out of the vehicle you buy . Like any motorhome you need to examine very carefully , as there is wide range of condition out there
There are usually a good few advertised on Mobile.de , in various European countries, inc France. sister site RVOC forum will help with further info, from those that have, or currently own .

Upvote 0
OP
OP
C

Clouseau

Free Member
Jun 12, 2019
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Thank you all so much for taking the time to give your advice. It is greatly appreciated and gives me more food for thought. What a great forum.
I can do most of my own maintenance, except serious heavy mechanical work. I think a smaller RV in as good a condition as possible is what I am searching for. I'll take a look at
www.rvoc.co.uk
and www.m
obile.de

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back