Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
Yes Jim, but any "use by" date can only be a recommendation (and a cop out should you ignore the advice) I would guess that their are tens of millions of tyres working away, quite safely, many years over the recommended use by date. The manufactures have no control over how a tyre will be stored or used so a proper specification would be hard to produce. Presently the "use-by" recommendation is just a big umbrella that they put up to shield themselves if a tyre fails. Like you say, it would be much better for the end user if the tyre wall had a definitive "Do not use after date" stamp, until then its best to use the manufacturers date stamp and change when they are 5 or 6 years old, no matter how pristine they still look.

I agree.
Jim
::bigsmile:

OP
OP
chrisboyo

chrisboyo

Free Member
Aug 5, 2009
Newport South Wales
Funster No
MH
Autosleepers Sussex Duo
Exp
5 + 30 years a tugger
Result !!!!:thumb:
Nice man at Chelstons has offered to pay 50% towards my new tyres, which I think is fair as I have done appox 11000 mile since purchase.

When checking around for prices I found commercial tyres to fit my MH from £63.00 inc right up to £145.00 for so called MH tyres

Speaking to the tyre 'experts' they did not think there was any diference other that the wording on the tyre walls to so called Camping tyres but I settled for a set at just under £100.00 each which seemed a good compromise

It was interesting, that on seeing my tyres all of the 'experts'
said they would not have changed them, even though dated at 2001. But as we intend keeping 'Hengist' for at least another 2 years, that would have made the tyres 12 years old, it was best to change them, especialy in view of Chelstons offer

So thanks to Chelston,s Hengist has a new set of shoes:thumb:
Happy Daze
Chrisboyo

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back