ok, you got me! what is a B2B charger (1 Viewer)

sadlonelygit

Free Member
Jan 28, 2014
forest of dean
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
since 1975
i know it's battery to battery........
homer-simpson-doh.gif
.............but how is it wired in and just what does it do?

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Its a voltage amplifier which provides a rapid 4 step charge to your leisure battery whilst your engine is running.
It will charge your battery 5 times faster and 20% more than the original split charge system.

Kiwi Coss

Free Member
Jan 3, 2013
New Zealand
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Is it worthwhile investing in? I have 3x 110watt batteries total 330 watt and I have run out of batt only once. We full time wild camp so depend heavily on the batts as a long time between electri hookups. also 180 watts solar panels.
Colin

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
You have got to be driving though, if you are parked up for days on end it's not going to make any difference.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
You have got to be driving though, if you are parked up for days on end it's not going to make any difference.

Yes it will. A one hour engine run will stuff in 5h of charge, allegedly, never tried one.

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Heres an example,

We park up in the Alps for a weeks skiing.
There is little daylight because we are in a valley and it is winter. The roof is covered in snow, so solar is a waste of time (and bad for your batteries anyway, but that's another story).

We have the heating running 24/7 to stop things freezing, use the hairdryer a little, charge tablets, phones, etc and use the TV and lights as required.

After 2 days, the batteries are a bit discharged so I run the engine for an hour and a half whilst we have dinner. The habitation batteries are now fully charged and we wait another two days before running up the engine again.

Our battery bank is 345Ah and the Sterling Alternator to Battery charger charges at 90 amps on tickover.
A 50 amp battery to battery charger would take twice as long, but you get the idea.

OP
OP
sadlonelygit

sadlonelygit

Free Member
Jan 28, 2014
forest of dean
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
since 1975
so...........we have a 110a/hr battery with a 2k inverter (hairdryer and andrew james griddle thingy), so it seems like the dobrey that tricks the alternator into giving some serious juice is the answer.
so how easy/hard/friggin' impossible are they to fit, bearing in mind i'm quite happy to strip a motorcycle gearbox to bits................and get it working again:)

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
I wired mine in and trust me.....

I'm proper thick ....

Would personally add another battery too if you can though....

lou020

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 5, 2010
huddersfield
Funster No
MH
autotrail chieftain
Exp
since 2010
i was always told, never rapid charge a vehicle battery as it shortens its life dramatically.
It should be trickle charged ?

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
If slow charging was best for batteries, our fleet of rental forklift trucks would need 6 batteries each to keep up with their shift patterns!
Our habitation batteries are now over 6 years old with full capacity still remaining. They have always been charged by a fast charging Sterling product.
Fast charging is only bad for batteries if you don't or can't keep the electrolyte topped up.
Open lead acid batteries lend themselves best to fast charging, sealed, AGM and gel types cannot be charged as rapidly, but certainly faster than with a conventional split charge system.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Jim knowing John if he says it's bad for them he WILL have experimented to find out why-they may not get fully (100%)charged or something :)-looking forward to his reply
terry

Sep 30, 2022
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68
I have a Rapido v68 with ECU, victron Mppt and shunt. Any idea how / where I would wire this into? Mkke

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
I have a Rapido v68 with ECU, victron Mppt and shunt. Any idea how / where I would wire this into? Mkke
Hi BOOMEL. šŸ‘‹

The thread you have posted in is about 9 x years old since the last reply.
It might be better to start a new thread, and copy and paste your question on there.
You could try a search as there are many threads covering your question subject.

Good luck. šŸ‘

Jock. šŸ˜€

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
so...........we have a 110a/hr battery with a 2k inverter (hairdryer and andrew james griddle thingy), so it seems like the dobrey that tricks the alternator into giving some serious juice is the answer.
so how easy/hard/friggin' impossible are they to fit, bearing in mind i'm quite happy to strip a motorcycle gearbox to bits................and get it working again:)
Thatā€™s better than my last effort!šŸ¤¬

Oct 5, 2019
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
autotrail
Exp
im a newbie
hi i fitted the sterling b2b my self thought it was very easy ,,sterling will help you through if you ask them theres a chart to work out what cable size you need from the amps ,,and the length from battery to battery ,,there tech help is very good ,,a set of hydraulic crimps makes the job easy and not to expensive,, as i found out ,,

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back