OK you fonts of all knowledge. Air suspension. (1 Viewer)

Nik

Oct 29, 2014
Cornish exile in Surrey
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
1 year
A couple of questions regarding rear air suspension (Non Alko) for X250 Fiat based Moho.

I'm looking at 3 options
a, the one currently on eBay for £279 minus compressor
b, the same with compressor £309
and
c, one supplied by Marcle Leisure £396, minus compressor and gauges (available for an extra cost).

If you have fitted either, were there any quality issues particularly with the cheaper one.

Is it preferable to have a compressor fitted? if so the Ebay one doesn't look as substantial as the Marcle Leisure one, excepting the price difference.

Regarding an 'in built' compressor, whilst you can raise the suspension at the press of a button how easy is it to deflate as required.

What I'm intimating here is if you are come across a situation where you need to inflate immediately to avoid a grounding but when past the area can deflate to normal pressure. I grounded the rear driving into a car wash this week due to the in ramp angle. Saved by my tow bar from serious damage but the noise made people look!

I will be fitting it myself and have looked at the instructions from Marcle which seem pretty straight forward. Hints and tips welcome though.
I have an Auto-Trail with a side skirt locker and was thinking of fitting a compressor in there by the leisure batteries with the control/gauge within easy reach of the driver near the base of the seat or on what passes as the B pillar near the seat belt mounting area but lower down so it can be operated as required without inconvenience.

I expect it's not as simple as I imagine but you opinions, based on direct experience, would be welcome.
Thanks in advance.
Nik.

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
We have a compressor for our air assist rear suspension. It is installed under the drivers seat.

We have a twin gauge with two dump valves and inflate button on the dash on the RH side of the steering wheel. So I can change pressures etc whilst on the move.

The gauges etc are mounted in a plate supplied by I assume someone like marcle leisure that is purpose built to fit in the dash.

Oct 7, 2015
newark
Funster No
MH
Swift escape 624
Exp
We got ours from e bay with gauges, one button to inflate and two buttons to deflate, hooked the compressor to the leisure battery and mounted the gauges near the rear door as handy to judge the levels. second van we have fitted to took about 2 hours.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 11, 2011
Nr Hastings, East Sussex
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail Tracker RL
Exp
since 2010
I have the Marcle leisure kit without gauges or compressor. However my objective was to uprate not be be able to raise/lower the rear end. Hence I check the pressures prior to a trip and adjust with a tyre compressor if needed. I was pleased with the kit from Marcle and fitted it myself.
Two tips:
a) use some cable ties to reduce the height of the bellows to make it easier to fit - make sure you remove them afterwards!
b) I needed to borrow a torque wrench to make sure the U-bolts were correctly torqued

By the way, I terminated the pipes in the gas locker but left all the excess pipe in place in case the next owner wants to feed them through to the cab and fit a gauge/compressor.

Nov 8, 2015
Rakitnika, Varna, Bulgaria
Funster No
MH
Damon Daybreak RV
Exp
Now in fifth year and with American RV
Have you looked at the EasyTop version from Italy yet, looks well made and 2 year warranty, if you order from them direct there is big saving on eBay price, lots of good reviews. I am just about to order for my Sprinter based Mirage.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
With or without a compressor it isn't a particularly quick operation to raise or lower the pressure. Raising it is much quicker because you're using a high pressure source to push air in. Lowering is slower because you only have whatever pressure is in the units trying to get out. Pipes to the units run the length of the van and are approx. 2mm bore hence it takes time to shift air through them. So inflation will take maybe 5 to 10 seconds to lift from running to full height. Lowering will take twice that or more.

Louis

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 29, 2016
Anglesey
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auotrail
Exp
6 Months with motorhome(35 years tugging)
Have you looked at the EasyTop version from Italy yet, looks well made and 2 year warranty, if you order from them direct there is big saving on eBay price, lots of good reviews. I am just about to order for my Sprinter based Mirage.
I fitted these, very good quality & quick delivery (y)

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
Fitted the eBay version including compressor and twin guages , shipped from abroad.
With me within a week.
Fitted in a day , including tea breaks ,
Pump under the driver's seat ,and no problems to fit if you plan it out .
IMG_20160901_092215.jpg
IMG_20160901_142845_668.JPG
IMG_20160830_155555.jpg

Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
A little off subject but a bit info anyway. I have air bags on the rear and when I got 2 new tyres fitted, the "man" had to deflate the old tyres to remove the wheels as the air bags wouldn't allow the wheel to drop far enough to enable removal, and the same when refitting. I also thought you were not supposed to stretch the air bags by jacking up by the bodywork and not by the leaf spring.
IMG_20170408_194854.jpg

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
Just jack mine up on the rear axle plate .
don't have a problem with clearance ,
but I would have thought increasing hight would overcome that sort of problem .
IMG_20170408_190838_717.JPG

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp

I fitted this kit to my Ducato X230 and I'm very pleased with it , well made kit and easy to fit.

OP
OP
Nik

Nik

Oct 29, 2014
Cornish exile in Surrey
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
1 year
Thanks to all, @Boringfrog, @Mike4727, @Manic, @jollyrodger, @Louis, @tonyidle, @Bill_OR, @Lofty1, @MikeD for your useful responses.

I didn't know about Easy Top, I have just looked at the web site so will send a few questions in the week. @Mike4727, @Manic did you get a compressor with it?
The pics and tips (ie, cable ties) are very useful thanks and I never considered putting the compressor under the drivers seat. Great idea, is it easy to get the air tubes and power to there?
@MikeD, I have PM'd you with a request.

This is one of the great things about MoHofun that there is a wealth of experience out there and people are very willing to help.
Thank you all.
Safe journies.
Nik

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Buy the cheapest option ( as long as the bags are a decent make )
We ran without a compressor for the first year of airbag ownership.. Was simply too busy to fit a compressor etc
The following year we was at a show and I bought some gauges off the lovely people at A.S

Following Sunday picked up a cheapo air compressor ( from memory it was £9.99 from Halfrauds or some such place )
An hour later it was all fitted and working.

Nov 8, 2015
Rakitnika, Varna, Bulgaria
Funster No
MH
Damon Daybreak RV
Exp
Now in fifth year and with American RV
Hi Nik, no compressor with that kit but I have my ancient and trusty Michelin inflator that should do the job well enough, if not they are cheap enough to buy. I have seen a couple of Easy Top installations and was very impressed with the bracketry.

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I have no compressor, I either use my 12 volt tyre pump or small mountain bike pump.
When I fitted mine I bought some plastic tube and slit it and cable tied it on the air pipes where it goes near metal edges.

Chriseui

Free Member
Jun 22, 2017
Cambridge
Funster No
MH
X250 LWB Van Conversion
Exp
Hi All

I'm a newbie to this forum, but I'm going through the same process at the moment trying to decide on what make of air suspension to get.

One observation I have about the Ebay system shown above is that the air inlet pipe is on the bottom of the bag. I would have thought basic mechanic whould have told the designers to put it on top, like Al-Ko, EasyTop.

Top entry means the pipe enters the unit at a fixed point which does not move relative to the body of the vehicle and the rest of the pipe run.

Fitting it to the bottom means as the axle tramps up and down the pipe has to track it to the fixed point on the chassis where you run the pipes to the inlet/gauges. I know the pipe is quite flexible but being mechanically flexed and while under pressure, surely this will lead to an earlier failure than if it was top mounted?

Chris

Chriseui

Free Member
Jun 22, 2017
Cambridge
Funster No
MH
X250 LWB Van Conversion
Exp
In answer to Boringfrog; the Dunlop system tells you to let the air out before body jack to prevent damage to the bags by stretching under pressure.

I have not seen any similar advice for Al-Ko but I've just started my research:)

chris

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
the only issue with the cheap airbag systems is that they use the rabena airbags. these are much lighter duty and thinner rubber than the firestone or dunlop bags. given the weight of many motorhomes, the thinner bags may not last well

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Hi All

I'm a newbie to this forum, but I'm going through the same process at the moment trying to decide on what make of air suspension to get.

One observation I have about the Ebay system shown above is that the air inlet pipe is on the bottom of the bag. I would have thought basic mechanic whould have told the designers to put it on top, like Al-Ko, EasyTop.

Top entry means the pipe enters the unit at a fixed point which does not move relative to the body of the vehicle and the rest of the pipe run.

Fitting it to the bottom means as the axle tramps up and down the pipe has to track it to the fixed point on the chassis where you run the pipes to the inlet/gauges. I know the pipe is quite flexible but being mechanically flexed and while under pressure, surely this will lead to an earlier failure than if it was top mounted?

Chris
I've had both types (top & bottom entry). The pipe to the unit moving isn't an issue - the pipes can follow the brake flexibles (which are under much higher pressure) - but the top entry pipe connection sits in a recess. Which fills with water & corrodes the connection. It isn't a problem unless you need to disconnect the pipe - when you find the corroded area. I'm in favour of bottom entry. Quality of the airbags tends to vary very little if you stick to those made by the various tyre manufacturers. A compressor on its own isn't much different to using a footpump as it's rarely needed and does little work when it is. A compressor plus convenient controls for each airbag really is useful enabling substantial levelling ability and the means to lift the tail when additional ground clearance for ferry ramps or very steep canal bridges.

Louis

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 29, 2016
Anglesey
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auotrail
Exp
6 Months with motorhome(35 years tugging)
Bike pump does the same job, and as mentioned above very little seperates them on quality

Chriseui

Free Member
Jun 22, 2017
Cambridge
Funster No
MH
X250 LWB Van Conversion
Exp
Hi Manic

How did you get on ordering the parts?

I've been trying all morning to get a response from the guys at easytop, now of course they are off for the W/E. There is no quick way to place an order you just have to email and wait for someone to respond!!!

I've also been trying to contact Campersun another Italian company for several days they just don't respond. According to Google there are no public holiday this week.

Do these guys just not want to take orders from people or are they just ignoring me coz of Brexit;)

Chris

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Bought the £279 kit from eBay as our m/h grounded on leaving our drive, due to a steep drive and severe camber on the road.

Very easy to fit and no problems experienced. We have the manual inflation system using a hand operated cycle "track pump".

We inflate to 65 psi to get out of the drive and reduce the pressure to 40-45 psi for running. It takes only a few minutes to do and we have also found an improvement in ride quality.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Had the Dunlop system on rear of a 2013 AT Tracker we owned very good and never had a problem with it didn't have compressor as it is easy to top up with a bike pump

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Four pumps on an Aldi Bike pump and it is up but it takes bit of push to do high pressure,two gauges in the garage.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back