OK so got new Moho, but Bobby the Cat is holding us hostage! (1 Viewer)

Stretto Boy

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2016
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2011
The Initial Approach ,Thats what we are now concerned about.
They are going to automatically think that we somehow enticed him to live with us initially even 5 years ago! Then they might think yea so why after all this time are your bringing him back to us?
Are you fed up with him now or what?
Then we have to lay out our side of things very sensitively, and hope they believe we had no idea which house/road he was from. Then how we only wanted the best for him, we never took away his opportunity to go to his real home, he is a free spirit spending half the day & night outside on his travels etc
Living outside under BBQ or under shelter in the coldest months and burglarising our cat flap and probably everyone elses in the area to get food.
Strangest thing is one of my friends Jenny lives with her disabled husband in a large house only two doors away from no 7, and she has never seen Bobby or his sister twin, or heard of the "White" surname,just shows what we are like down south these days. There is also a small red post box just past No7 that we use very occasionally, but it is a fair way across many gardens for him to get to us behind them.(and he always beat Les back home to the back door taking the cross gardens route) you know it wont surprise us if he has being going back occasionally over the years but choosing not to stay somehow.
So now we need to draw up our introduction plan, like some of your cunning suggestions like knocking on a few doors either side, then Oh my Gosh its you! But its gonna be so hard to do as we love him so much, and it took a long time to win his confidence & trust as he was almost half ferrel in nature back then.

Mmmm. It’s a tricky one isn’t it? I must confess that I think Bobby’s welfare is the most important thing and he seems to be happier with you than with his real owners. So maybe just leave things as they are? You do seem to have forged a very close and loving two way relationship with him.

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
If I can suggest you just knock on a couple of doors before the house you think it is.
Then go to the house you think.

Hi we are just asking in the neighbourhood if you have lost a cat?
A white one has taken a liking to our cat and feeds with it.

We did take it to the vets as it needed looking at, could it be your cat as they said it was chipped and local to the area.

Maybe add you are happy looking after it if does happen to be theirs.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

treetops1

Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
yorkshire/ lincolnshire.
Funster No
MH
Sold last van-
Exp
a long time,since 1996
I would tell them the truth .tell them how long she has being and how you love her to bits and you do Not really want to lose her after all these years .I feel sure they would understand and maybe happy to know she is still alive .you can tell them you tried to find her owners as she was poorly when you found her so she may have being living rough for a while .I would go for it ,whatever you do you know she is still going to come home to yourselves .

Oct 15, 2011
Not Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011
The Initial Approach ,Thats what we are now concerned about.
They are going to automatically think that we somehow enticed him to live with us initially even 5 years ago! Then they might think yea so why after all this time are your bringing him back to us?
Are you fed up with him now or what?
Then we have to lay out our side of things very sensitively, and hope they believe we had no idea which house/road he was from. Then how we only wanted the best for him, we never took away his opportunity to go to his real home, he is a free spirit spending half the day & night outside on his travels etc
Living outside under BBQ or under shelter in the coldest months and burglarising our cat flap and probably everyone elses in the area to get food.
Strangest thing is one of my friends Jenny lives with her disabled husband in a large house only two doors away from no 7, and she has never seen Bobby or his sister twin, or heard of the "White" surname,just shows what we are like down south these days. There is also a small red post box just past No7 that we use very occasionally, but it is a fair way across many gardens for him to get to us behind them.(and he always beat Les back home to the back door taking the cross gardens route) you know it wont surprise us if he has being going back occasionally over the years but choosing not to stay somehow.
So now we need to draw up our introduction plan, like some of your cunning suggestions like knocking on a few doors either side, then Oh my Gosh its you! But its gonna be so hard to do as we love him so much, and it took a long time to win his confidence & trust as he was almost half ferrel in nature back then.
I'am reading your side of things and it sounds very similar to my situation,you started off saying that he was visiting every neighbour and now you are saying that he probably is visiting every neighbour,from the very start you should have discouraged him from visiting your house for food. As I have found out with my cat some are opportunists and will search out food wherever they can even if they are well fed and looked after at home,the neighbour that is feeding my cat doesn't feels she is doing any harm but MY cat because of his background doesn't have any idea where he really belongs because of her behaviour. The number of nights I have went out to fetch him home I have lost count of. One time my wife went to talk to her and she told her he is upstairs sleeping,my wife asked her to get him and she got a packet of Dreamies and shook them to get him downstairs. (n) I can understand if you feel he is totally neglected but there are a number of similarities between your story and what I'am going through with my neighbour. I really don't want to get into a legal dispute with my neighbour because the only people that win in such a scenario are lawyers and I have worked too hard for what I have to give it to the likes of them,there just seems no talking to her and her family.

OP
OP
TinaLes
Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
I do feel for your situation Bigtree, and I dont know how you can resolve it with the unhelpful neighbours you have. My question to her would be, are you prepared to take on the legal responsibility of OUR cat?, are you going to pay the vets fees to get its flu jab & health check each year?, who is going to look after it when you go on holiday, or long term sick, as you would not be able to put it in a cattery without a med certificate?
Personally if I were you I would wait until your cat comes home, and if necessary fit a harness onto it for a while at least so it cant stray too far. (thats what Moho owners with cats have to do I am told) We have spent thousand on our old girl cat over the years, the older they get the more goes wrong, just like us humans really.
As for Bobby our big boy!, we didnt feed him directly, he used to sneak in via the cat flap at various times of day & night and steal our cats food, once he even chewed through a brand new unopened bag of Whiskas Crunchies and spread them all over the floor, he even worked out where we kept our cats sachets of food and would chew straight through them also, sometimes eating the corner off the packets also. No cat food could be left on worktops or in open cupboards as he would find it! Then because he had gorged his food too quickly in fear that he would be discovered he would then throw up outside our back door! We couldn't lock the cat flap as our older cat needed to get out to do her business. If we ignored Bobby on the coldest wettest nights he would yam so loudly outside that he would wake us up and not stop until we let him in. In the early days we could have been out, then come home only to discover in the middle of the night he had crept upstairs and was hiding in the back of one of our walk in wardrobes, it was quite scary to be woken up in the early hours with the loudest cat Yam you have ever heard! He was never a lap cat, and still doesn't like being picked up, but does show respect to our old cat who is less than half his size, and lets her eat first before he polishes the rest off, he would lick the bowl so hard we thought he would take the pattern off the plate! now hes not raiding the neighbours so much as he knows he has our cats food on tap. Funny thing is if our cat turns her nose up at what she has been presented with, so does he!

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
We have had 3 cats 'adopt' us...

The first arrived from the next door neighbour as a youngster. They already had an older cat but 'Molly' jumped ship when they then bought a dog. The neighbors accepted that Molly didn't want to stay and she's been with us for 16 years.

Cat no 2 'Splodge' was part of a pair of kittens bought for another neighbour's children by the grandparents. Splodge was an independant cat and called round when he felt like it. Unfortunately one day he just disappeared, presumably killed, he was about 1 year old (10 years ago)

Cat no 3 'Mimi' was the other 'kitten' that only started coming into our garden after Splodge disappeared.
Mimi didn't/doesn't get on with Molly, is a sandwich short of a picnic, but decided she was staying with us but would disappear - we assumed back 'home'

We never wanted cats.......

About 5 years ago we realised that Mimi's owners had sold up and left, not a word - just left the cat

If I ever move I would take both cats with me

Oct 20, 2014
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 680 SL
Exp
Since 2014
Another way I was going to suggest before Minxy Girl’s good detective work was - write a letter to the owners and ask the vet to forward it to them. They would not be divulging the owners’ name to you then. :)

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
Keep the cat,sell the Moho.

Oct 15, 2011
Not Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011
IMG_2735.JPG
IMG_2778.JPG
IMG_2825.JPG
I do feel for your situation Bigtree, and I dont know how you can resolve it with the unhelpful neighbours you have. My question to her would be, are you prepared to take on the legal responsibility of OUR cat?, are you going to pay the vets fees to get its flu jab & health check each year?, who is going to look after it when you go on holiday, or long term sick, as you would not be able to put it in a cattery without a med certificate?

We did offer her OUR cat for what we paid for him but she said she didn't want any more cats as she already had two and didn't want any more,why would she pay for a cat that she could steal by enticement?
Pictures are him with our other cat who is 21, me playing with him in a tree in the garden and how he used to always be with me before the witch enticed him.

Last edited:
Oct 15, 2011
Not Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011
IMG_3564.JPG
IMG_3337.JPG
IMG_3542.JPG
IMG_3558.JPG
When we have the van at home he loves crashing out on the back bed and when we had them on our northern trip he enjoyed walking with the harness once he got used to it,I didn't want to keep it on full time as he was always scratching at it. I left it on for a week when we came home so that the neighbour might get the idea that he was ours and not feed him unfortunately it didn't work. :mad: Sorry about the quality of the first and last pictures but they were quite late at night,that's when he really likes to walk.

OP
OP
TinaLes
Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Fantastic pictures Bigtree! Your are also brave at taking them away with you!, even with a harness which Bobby would hate as he cannot be confined not even in an empty room, I dont think we could put Booby into harness. Your cat has similar markings to Bobby, but is much more slender, and has a sharper face.
Keep up the good work leave the harness on, and keep in in the boundaries of you property, I think its the only way you keep him away from "The Witch" Its Halloween soon lets hope she flies off somewhere else on her broomstick! :devil:

Oct 15, 2011
Not Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011
Not possible to keep him confined as he has so much energy,when they were away with us a mile walk wasn't enough for him.:eek:

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Tell the vet he is mistaken about the confidential issue and is talking rubbish. The idea of chipping is to identify the cat, not keep its owners secret they paid to keep him safe and the vet thinks it is an invasion of privacy??????????????????? WTF.

Oct 15, 2011
Not Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011
When I got Midas I found out he was chipped by my vet who is also my friend,he wouldn't tell me who the previous owner was. I had to get an email from the previous owners son to confirm that he had sold him to me and I was now the new owner of him before they would update their records.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Tell the vet he is mistaken about the confidential issue and is talking rubbish. The idea of chipping is to identify the cat, not keep its owners secret they paid to keep him safe and the vet thinks it is an invasion of privacy??????????????????? WTF.
No-one can disclose the details of the registered owner to a stranger, Data Protection and all that, so the vet isn't talking rubbish, if he DID divulge the info he would be in very very deep do-do! Would you like your vet to let someone know your personal info without your permission?

Oct 15, 2011
Not Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011
No-one can disclose the details of the registered owner to a stranger, Data Protection and all that, so the vet isn't talking rubbish, if he DID divulge the info he would be in very very deep do-do! Would you like your vet to let someone know your personal info without your permission?
As I said above. :cautious:

OP
OP
TinaLes
Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Its probably easier to get human records hacked from the NHS than getting details from a pets chip these days!.
Just had a silly thought, please forgive me in advance:
When Bigtree had his cat Midas,s Chip re-mapped with new owner details etc, did it eat less, poop less, and go faster?:D Sorry.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back