Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
first, I know absolutely nothing about computerisation boxes. I do go on the Internet at home. First question what is mifi? Second question what do I need to get mifi? Third question how much is it. Seen a few threads about 3 SIM cards . Aren't these just mobile phones or does the SIM card go in something other than a phone to get internet. If the SIM card does go in something else what does it go in and what does the thing it goes in look like? Next where can I get one of these things?
I think that is about all for now but will no doubt think of loads more to ask.
Thanks in advance Glenn.

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Good link above.. must have a read right through later..
You could also have a look at this http://www.motorhomewifi.com/
they are members on here... you may get similar equipment cheaper off e bay etc , but imho they sell quality gear and you have a good back up and help if you have problems..
ta andy

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Hi Glenn
If you know nothing about computers and don't want to browse the Internet when away from home then you probably don't need a mifi
If you stay on campsites which have wifi then you probably don't need mifi
MIFI is used to give you internet on the move BUT you have to be comfortable setting one up.
May not be worth the hassle

Oct 5, 2014
somerset
Funster No
MH
firebrand campervan
Exp
mifi is mobile broadband via the mobile phone service. you need a dongle (small piece of equipment about 3"x2"x 1") a data only sim card. I have a 3 sim card which is great. Have a word with addie member on here, very helpful will be able to advise and help (http://www.motorhomewifi.com/) hope this helps

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Hi Glenn
If you know nothing about computers and don't want to browse the Internet when away from home then you probably don't need a mifi
If you stay on campsites which have wifi then you probably don't need mifi
MIFI is used to give you internet on the move BUT you have to be comfortable setting one up.
May not be worth the hassle
well im pretty thick when it comes to all this sort of stuff but unfortunate as it may sound its become just about an essential part of life to be able to get on line now, for things like telephone numbers, ferry and camp site bookings etc etc, so im doing my best to become familiar with it all and there are plenty willing to help....
that's just my thoughts and some may be able to do without for what they do..
ta andy

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
well im pretty thick when it comes to all this sort of stuff but unfortunate as it may sound its become just about an essential part of life to be able to get on line now, for things like telephone numbers, ferry and camp site bookings etc etc, so im doing my best to become familiar with it all and there are plenty willing to help....
ta andy

have you considered a phablet phone (BIG phone) that's what I use most of the time with a 3 SIM. no tech stuff whatsoever:)

Mifi only for when you want to connect multiple devices to one SIM? ( I fink) say a couple of laptops....

Jun 11, 2011
Somerset
Funster No
MH
hymer s820
Exp
ta andy
andy63 is certainly not thick, he was very helpful with his screenshot on the unusual setup for 3 data on the Huawei R207, a lot of people don't know how to do this or that but this forum can certainly come up with some brilliant ways of getting things sorted.

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
have you considered a phablet phone

thought you had done a typo lol.. didn't know what a phablet phone was, but I do now:LOL: thanks..

to me the mifi device is just another option along with I boost for trying to get on line when away.. both allow multible device connection, and with camp site wi fi the I boost can have you connecting multiple devices but is only seen as one connection on the site ..so im told :)

andy63 is certainly not thick

you will have to take my word for it.. haha... I was only passing on info others had been good enough to help me with... but thanks for your kind words..
andy

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
I bought the Huawei mifi with a 3 network SIM a few years ago and have since had one with a Samsung tablet, also on 3. Variable signal on the North Norfolk coast a few weeks back but sitting in the van in Yarmouth with the family we had a very good signal. Rainy Sunday so there we were on our phones and tablets but I couldn't get a signal on the tablet and was somewhat puzzled as the others appeared quite contented.

"You got a signal?", I said, addressing nobody in particular.
"Yes", said Nick.
"Yes", said Rachel, and one of the boys, (7 and 4) is on.

I then had a count up and realised my phone on the shelf was on as was another unused phone making up the 5 connected devices. :doh:

So it works!

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
thought you had done a typo lol.. didn't know what a phablet phone was, but I do now:LOL: thanks..

to me the mifi device is just another option along with I boost for trying to get on line when away.. both allow multible device connection, and with camp site wi fi the I boost can have you connecting multiple devices but is only seen as one connection on the site ..so im told :)

you will have to take my word for it.. haha... I was only passing on info others had been good enough to help me with... but thanks for your kind words..
andy

the point I was trying to make was you dont need fancy kit to get online when away particularly for the circumstances you mentioned?

we just have 2 x 3 sims. does us most of the time. I have a massive Acer phone and can do most things on it.

I also have a wifi aerial and router for use on sites where there is wifi. this is where a MIF comes in handy as you can use your own sim to connect multiple devices.

just make sure you need it that's all...

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back