OK Dover parkers, how much do you spend? (2 Viewers)

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
We currently have threads Broken Link Removed and Broken Link Removed about changes to parking for motorhomes in Dover. As usual there are claims about how much we boost the economy of places we stay. Dover council's report states that it is unlikely that we contribute much to the local economy.

So, those of you who stay in Dover before/after a ferry crossing what is the truth? On your last visit how much did you spend in the town itself?

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Never parked at Dover.. But I know a couple of folk who park up on top of the hill at the RAF memorial

Sixbows

Free Member
Aug 10, 2014
Funster No
MH
Overcab bed
Exp
Maybe the ferry companies should be involved in the upkeep costs as surely they benefit the most here?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 12, 2012
Fleet, UK
Funster No
MH
Pilote Atlantis 34
Exp
MoHoing since 09/04/12
We have overnighted a couple of times on the esplanade. Arrive late at night, get up for an early ferry. Only spend was to fill up at the petrol station.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Zero... We also time the trip to make the crossing and prefer to park overnight in France..
Only ever stayed in Dover once and that was bad weather in late March 2013 and we got snowed in for the night..

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
im a paracite.,. we pull up, we let the dog on the beach, she does her stuff, I use the dover dog bin, I then go to sleep, I wake up, I let the dog out, stick more dog poo in the bin and then drive off for my ferry.

However, in the last 15 years, I have bought a curry there one night and had fish and chips twice. shame if it closes but hey ho, will just plan the journey a bit better.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
The only time I have spent anything in Dover is at Tesco at the top of the hill. I have overnighted there in the past when coming home on a late ferry but they have stopped that now as its 2 hours parking. I asked why, and was told that they caught someone emptying a cassette in the hedge on CCTV. Not me I may add, I have a blacktank.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Zero... We also time the trip to make the crossing and prefer to park overnight in France..
Only ever stayed in Dover once and that was bad weather in late March 2013 and we got snowed in for the night..

Same here..gives you a good start next day...BUSBY..

LARRY99

LIFE MEMBER
May 27, 2011
South wales
Funster No
MH
C class Rv/ Dethleff
Exp
Ages
How much did I spend,,,, last time about £20 in weatherspoons ( 2 people)
Time before that ,about £60 ,Chinese resturant ( 4 people) , time before that ? Time before that?....

We all seem to talk about getting over the the channel in droves , so when we have nowhere to park up for the night ,how do you expect Johnny Foreigner to feel , oh of course not that many come over ,,, I wonder why?

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
Hi, we are the same as most spend very little (nil) as only sleep there if early sailing or on the way back if late arrival, pleasant stay on parade perhaps they should in stall over night parking charges .
Terry FIDGET

May 20, 2009
Haute Vienne, France
Funster No
how do you expect Johnny Foreigner to feel , oh of course not that many come over ,,, I wonder why?

Traffic, unfriendly councils not letting them park up, weather........i could go on and on.....:whistle::whistle:

OP
OP
G

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
unfriendly councils not letting them park up
Excluding Greater London (where any parking is difficult) there are 410 councils in the UK with parking responsibility. In general, district councils are responsible for off-street car parks, county councils are responsible for on-street parking plus parking in countryside parks and (sometimes) park & ride sites; unitary councils are responsible for all parking in their area.

Of those 410 councils, 205 councils have off-street parking provision for motorhomes and 114 ask that people check with them as to the best car parks to use. Only 90 say they have no off-street parking areas suitable for motorhomes.

On-street parking for motorhomes can be found in all council areas.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Time before that ,about £60 ,Chinese resturant ( 4 people) , time before that ? Time before that?....

We all seem to talk about getting over the the channel in droves , so when we have nowhere to park up for the night ,how do you expect Johnny Foreigner to feel , oh of course not that many come over ,,, I wonder why?
Here are a few options, there are many more......
http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/sites/townlisting.asp?town=Dover

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
220 litres of LPG at £0.70 £154.00 and 140 litres of unleaded at £1.27 £177.80 plus a bag of sweeties Great garage at the roundabout as you come in, but to be honest would have filled up there anyway even if we were going straight to the ferry.

The only way that Dover council would make money would be to provide a overnight space and charge for it, and enforce the charge.

SandJ

Free Member
Sep 14, 2007
North Yorks
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Too long lol
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Out of the above suggestion a FEW is correct as only 2 are open all year and are available to anyone. The others are part year, caravan club only or campsites (not overnight parking for a motorhome)
We use or used Dover seafront every trip for early ferry spent various amounts and ££££ in Tesco.
How many do you need?

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
With some exceptions, this thread is knocking the oft repeated principle of "If councils provide parking, motorhomers spend money" into a cocked hat.
The current situation seems to be MHers are TAKING parking for free and spending nowt, how will that change if it's actually provided and charged for?

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
IMHO the ferry operators should provide a parking facility for motorhomes and caravans, as long as they are booked with them.What has happened to the old Hoverport?

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
We get some fish and chips from the local chippy or have a few drinks in a local bar, so about £10.00 per visit.
Not a problem for us if they stop overnight parking, we will make a later crossing and park up on the other side.

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
With some exceptions, this thread is knocking the oft repeated principle of "If councils provide parking, motorhomers spend money" into a cocked hat.
The current situation seems to be MHers are TAKING parking for free and spending nowt, how will that change if it's actually provided and charged for?

Dover is not really the best example to draw conclusions on the "stop and spend" theme .

Most motorhomers use Dover as a transit point for the ferry. They do not go to Dover as they want to spend time there, though some will visit the Castle, Battle of Britain site etc. Other towns are frequented and visited by motorhomers, because they are nice and interesting places to visit.

In saying that in each of the last 3 years, we have overnighted on the front at Dover, after the drive down from the North East before getting our ferry in the morning. On each occasion our minimum spend was about £25, up to a maximum of about £50, whether on fish and chips, a Pub meal, or a takeaway, and a few drinks as well.

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
We never stop at Dover we arrive in time for the ferry and try to time it to avoid the dartford tunnel toll. Just begrudge giving them more after all the times we have used the tunnel.

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
Callum,
I did say "with exceptions".
It appears most motorhomers overnighting in Dover do just that, spending little or nothing.

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
Calais has an aire when you get there so it's fair to say money is spent in the local area if facilities are provided
If Dover had a similar area that we were welcome at with adequate facilities then am sure many would arrive earlier and explore the town before there ferry crossing and spend money in the town, I certainly would have , but I arrived just before my crossing like many others because they don't want us there
I am coming back from France on Sunday, but will get to Calais on Saturday because I know there is an aire close to the ferry that wants me there and in return I will spend my money shopping in the town
I have been traveling with 2 other couples throu France for the last 2 weeks staying mainly on aires and we have spent in total £3000 between us so it's fair to say if the you provide facilities then M/H will come and spend money

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back