OK..back to basics- shape/length (1 Viewer)

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Most of the larger A class on the IVECO chassis dont offer a driver or passenger door due to the practicality of getting in which requires 4 steps at the habitation door.

Martin

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
Not having driver and passenger doors makes the vehicle much more secure, warmer and less noisy. It also gives much more useable space up front. We looked at an A Class which had a passenger door and because of the internal steps required it felt very odd and of course the storage space on that side was reduced considerably.

Jul 29, 2014
Norfolk and Correze, France
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Had one for 5 years many moons ago. Now starting again.
I have just moved from an Adria coachbuilt to a Hymer A class. They were similar layouts, with fixed twin single beds at the rear over a garage. The A class is only 270mm longer but looks so much bigger inside and out and has so much more usable space.

Early days yet but we already think we have made the right decision.

Can I ask what model Hymer you have?
Eventually we will be returning to motorhoming and want one with twin single beds. I am keeping a list of those that fit the bill for when the buying hat goes on.:)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
I have the B678. They do two versions, the "standard" B class and the Premium Line B class, which are similar but not the same. We preferred the "standard" so that is what we ended up with. They also do similar layouts in the Exsis-i, B class SL, ML-I and Starline S ranges, so plenty to choose from.
At the moment @StefAndDi have their Starline S for sale in the same layout, which will be a good bargain for anybody who is looking for a top of the range Hymer. Look in the classified section of this forum.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I agree with almost everything Lenny says. However you will rarely see a RHD A class with a driver's door. Most have a passenger's door though!
Didn't think about that mines LHD so it has a drivers door, but rarely used only on fuel stops. Most A Class are LHD anyway.
Ours is twin singles above a garage as well, most popular layout in Europe so plenty to choose from.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Think hymer have missed a trick by not offering a Premium version of the exsis

Mar 1, 2015
Liverpool
Funster No
MH
Frankia 840GD
Exp
Since 2015
Several years ago I saw an A Class that had been in a crash. Not a particularly bad crash but the cab area was totally destroyed. Fiat and Peugeot spend millions of £ developing a crash protection zone around the driver and passenger to protect them in the event of an accident. But yet the A Class vans seem seem to use the same materials around the cab area as around the rest of the van. I do like the look of some A class MH but I would like to see the results if one was put through a Euro NCAP safety tests that cars and vans go through.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
We've had PVC, A class and at present a coachbuilt. Our new van will also be coachbuilt crossover. The main consideration was layout - we saw an A class Hymer that had the layout we liked but it had been sold - then we saw the SunLiving / Adria with a very similar layout on a coachbuilt, so have ordered it.

PVC, A class, coachbuilt etc is nor reason to dismiss any van if the layout and size will work for you. Each has advantages and disadvantages. :)

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Eddie, the problem is with the extra kit the PL has they would struggle to even pretend it was below the magic 3.5T mark.

I'm not sure what all the extra kit is to be honest..... was really just talking about interior finish/ambiance to be honest as whomer very plain compared to Carthago and they have models that work at 3500

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Several years ago I saw an A Class that had been in a crash. Not a particularly bad crash but the cab area was totally destroyed. Fiat and Peugeot spend millions of £ developing a crash protection zone around the driver and passenger to protect them in the event of an accident. But yet the A Class vans seem seem to use the same materials around the cab area as around the rest of the van. I do like the look of some A class MH but I would like to see the results if one was put through a Euro NCAP safety tests that cars and vans go through.
On the other hand if you opted to use a scooter for shopping forays you would negate any advantage to your odds of survival offered by a crumple zone :).

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
I'm not sure what all the extra kit is to be honest..... was really just talking about interior finish/ambiance to be honest
The PL is not much plusher IMHO - in fact we did not like the finished as much as the ordinary class. The wood and other wall finishes was much darker and made the interior feel darker.

In the UK the the following is standard in the PL that is not in the ordinary class:
Larger water and waste tanks
Smart tec tower refrigerator
special coil springs on front axle
auto air conditioning
cruise control,
luxury gourmet kitchen, with corian type worktop
Different interior colour and finishes
Electric waste tank drain
Additional roof vent
Wider habitation door.
Double electric step rather than single
2 additional drawers in kitchen.

Not sure what that add up to but it would be at least 60kg I reckon (the auto air conditioning is 30kg alone).

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back