Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Originally Posted by johnp10
If this were so, pet foods, accessories, etc. would attract VAT at the current 20% rate.
It already does!

Perhaps a licence fee then. Seeing as it tends to be the hairs on dogs that cause most allergy problems maybe the fee could be related to the hairiness rather than pure size?

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
Perhaps a licence fee then. Seeing as it tends to be the hairs on dogs that cause most allergy problems maybe the fee could be related to the hairiness rather than pure size?

Good idea and would stop so many unwanted pets.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Not sure if we are 'bovvered' by crude oil prices, the pump prices rarely have any correlation!
We'll get shafted either way!::bigsmile:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
How about extra tax on roll your own tobacco and papers? By doing the job themselves smokers or roll-ups are reducing the demand for ready-mades. That means there are less jobs for people making the cigarettes and less jobs means more unemployment. Seems logical, then, that smokers of roll-ups should pay extra to help the cost of the unemployment they cause.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Not just recompense for dog crap all over the place.

I thought they had put a stop to MPs fiddling ? Or is that not what you meant about the dogs crapping on us ?

Seriously though, due to circumstances I have to live in the UK.
If the ferry prices rise so much I cannot escape every now and then I would close the firm, lay off those working for me and move abroad permanently.

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
How about extra tax on roll your own tobacco and papers? By doing the job themselves smokers or roll-ups are reducing the demand for ready-mades. That means there are less jobs for people making the cigarettes and less jobs means more unemployment. Seems logical, then, that smokers of roll-ups should pay extra to help the cost of the unemployment they cause.

Good idea.
Tax revenue from papers couls then help fund the dole.

runrig

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 22, 2007
sheffield
Funster No
MH
Compass Kensington
Exp
25 years
Hi Folks,

Maybe there is light on the horizon, have just read an article in the Daily Express about Cella Energy inventing a revolutionary fuel which is hyrogen based and costs only 90 pence a gallon and can be used in current engines so no adaptions would be necessary. They claim it could be available in as little as 3 years.
It is set to be tested with vehicle manufacturere in 2012.

Lets hope it comes off and that the greedy government dont levy a tax on it :ROFLMAO:

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
The thing that always annoys me about the pricing is that the price is given in litre's at the pumps but the mileage in gallons. If it stated that we get 6 miles to the litre instead of 30 miles to the gallon I think a lot more would stop and think before jumping in the car for any short journey.

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
Hi Folks,

Maybe there is light on the horizon, have just read an article in the Daily Express about Cella Energy inventing a revolutionary fuel which is hyrogen based and costs only 90 pence a gallon and can be used in current engines so no adaptions would be necessary. They claim it could be available in as little as 3 years.

Lets hope it comes off and that the greedy government dont levy a tax on it :ROFLMAO:

the government are sure to get a hand on that I reckon:Angry:

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
The thing that always annoys me about the pricing is that the price is given in litre's at the pumps but the mileage in gallons. If it stated that we get 6 miles to the litre instead of 30 miles to the gallon I think a lot more would stop and think before jumping in the car for any short journey.
Or litre's per mile in the case of some RVs.::bigsmile:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
I have been reading this thread for a while now and it is obvious to me you are all brainwashed. The answer to the problem is not one of raising taxes but reducing costs. Excessive numbers of members of Parliament, all getting paid too much and most claiming every expense under the sun. Everytime I see a broadcast from parliament the house is damn near empty. Why not just reduce the number to those who attend. Excessive numbers of useless white collar workers and civil servants, huge numbers of people claiming benefits they are not entitled to, armaments scrapped and billions wasted. Involvement is wars that are really no concern of ours. Supporting vast numbers of immigrants and providing them with housing etc far above the normal standards of where they have come from. Vets charging the earth because of insurance far beyond the viable cost of a farm animal. Everybody expecting to own a house all these thing and more are the reasons for high taxation and all could be dealt with to reduce taxation and get this country moving again.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I might not agree 100% Roger but broadly speaking can't argue.

Trouble is there are too many vested interests to allow sorting out and your example of "Everybody expecting to own a house" shows that the vested interests aren't restricted to a small number.

We could do with a few more people learning the differences between "right" and "privilege" and between "need" and "want".

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
Hi Folks,

Not a new concept. Hydrogen as a fuel has been mooted long ago.
The problem is the oil companies and oil producing nations. They are rich enough to buy up any patents and thereby block develpoment.
Reemember in recent history ICI developing an oil free fuel?
where is it now?
We need more taxation on things like land. (Smallholdings, for instance.)

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
I have been reading this thread for a while now and it is obvious to me you are all brainwashed. The answer to the problem is not one of raising taxes but reducing costs. Excessive numbers of members of Parliament, all getting paid too much and most claiming every expense under the sun. Everytime I see a broadcast from parliament the house is damn near empty. Why not just reduce the number to those who attend. Excessive numbers of useless white collar workers and civil servants, huge numbers of people claiming benefits they are not entitled to, armaments scrapped and billions wasted. Involvement is wars that are really no concern of ours. Supporting vast numbers of immigrants and providing them with housing etc far above the normal standards of where they have come from. Vets charging the earth because of insurance far beyond the viable cost of a farm animal. Everybody expecting to own a house all these thing and more are the reasons for high taxation and all could be dealt with to reduce taxation and get this country moving again.

excuse me sir, Perhaps you would like to go back and read my post and then delete the all, add, agree with haganap under it.
As for GJH not arguing with you? well that's strange, when I offer the reduction in price argument, the reply to my thread is that it will cause problems on the roads, like pot holes and that :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: have you not been out this side of Christmas Graham:thumb:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
excuse me sir, Perhaps you would like to go back and read my post and then delete the all, add, agree with haganap under it.
As for GJH not arguing with you? well that's strange, when I offer the reduction in price argument, the reply to my thread is that it will cause problems on the roads, like pot holes and that :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: have you not been out this side of Christmas Graham:thumb:

The difference Paul (as far as I read it anyway) is that Roger is arguing for across the board reductions in expenditure, which could be followed by a reduction in overall taxation, whereas you were arguing that a reduction in tax on a single commodity (fuel) would lead to increased purchase which would, in turn, bring the income to the Treasury up to the same level as before the reduction. If it were that simple then governments would have been taking that course for many years.

That argument ignores the fact that the majority of people (unlike you and I) will not alter the amount of fuel they purchase because they are still have to service the same lifestyle whatever the price - daily commute/school run/whatever and they don't have the time/inclination to dramatically increase their usage. To an extent you and I are exceptions which prove the rule because we have both altered our fuel consumption rates as a result of lifestyle changes unrelated to the fuel price.

The argument I was putting forward (which you responded to) is that the Treasury has to maintain whatever level of income the government of the day has decided on. Therefore, because most people will not change their (e.g.) fuel usage, any reduction in duty will have to be offset by raising the same amount in another way.

As I said in that post, in the main the same people (the 70% of the population between the extremes of low and high income) are going to end up paying the amount which the Treasury decides upon anyway. So, if fuel duty is reduced such that it saves Joe Bloggs £10 a month but income tax (say) is increased so that it costs Joe Bloggs an extra £10 a month then Joe Bloggs is in the same position, which is another reason he cannot afford to increase his fuel usage.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back