Oil prices agin diesel prices (1 Viewer)

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Back in February diesel prices fell to £1.08 a litre around Thetford ( I get an automatic mail update of local prices ).. It is now, already, back to £1.18 a litre

The cost of crude has risen but only very slightly..
So who is pocketing the billions in extra revenue/profits being raised by a 10p per litre hike in less than 2 months !!

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
It seems to creep up every couple of days without you noticing it.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Retail fuel price movements have at least as much to do with supply and demand of components as well as crude pricing. I'm out of the business now but at a guess would say that demand in USA has pushed feedstock prices higher in Europe

appydaze

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 12, 2009
southend on sea essex
Funster No
MH
Merc high top
Exp
20 years
Back in February diesel prices fell to £1.08 a litre around Thetford ( I get an automatic mail update of local prices ).. It is now, already, back to £1.18 a litre

The cost of crude has risen but only very slightly..
So who is pocketing the billions in extra revenue/profits being raised by a 10p per litre hike in less than 2 months !!

Considering diesel is cheaper to produce than petrol merely reinforces this argument. Years ago I switched to diesel because it was cheaper and got you further. I wonder if its worth switching back again, now they tell us its not such a clean fuel as was first suggested.

Sep 23, 2014
weston s mare
Funster No
MH
frankia A class
Exp
It is the same down here in the South West ( Bristol Area ) it went down to 107 a lt it is now 118 in the supermarkets and rising a bit every week. It would be interesting to know who's getting the difference

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
it never got any where near that price around us think the lowest it wen was 1.13
and were not that far Frome the refinery's
don't think it went much below 1.15 in Aberdeen nether work that one out
bill

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Considering diesel is cheaper to produce than petrol merely reinforces this argument. Years ago I switched to diesel because it was cheaper and got you further. I wonder if its worth switching back again, now they tell us its not such a clean fuel as was first suggested.
Diesel prices rose in the country because so many of us switched to diesel vehicles. It didn't happen in the rest of Europe because petrol remained more popular. Supply & demand or price fixing by the producers? Dunno :)

There is, perhaps, another factor in that the supermarkets seemed to fall over themselves to lower prices a few months ago and probably went further than they should have due to the hype.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
As I said, if someone can make more money by selling their diesel or gasoline elsewhere then they will do so. This drives up the price that someone has to pay for fuels in UK. certainly it isn't the retailers making a fortune at our expense - margins are painfully thin, which is why most of the oil majors have withdrawn from that market. The only real money made in oil is getting the stuff out of the ground...... the rest of the supply chain is a necessary evil, which is why many oil majors have also contracted out their transport and sold their smaller refining capacity

tick59

Free Member
Dec 25, 2007
Newcastle Upon Tyne
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
"Since 2005"
Fracking has a lot to do with oil prices as the big companies are keeping oil prices low so it costs more to invest in fracking. Oil will go back up again in the summer months as per normal.My son works in the Norwegian oil fields and his money has dropped due to strong pound and low oil price and he says it has a lot to do with trying to stop Fracking as it will cost the oil companies a lot of money. fun!!! fun!!! fun!!!

Feb 26, 2012
Funster No
MH
coach
Exp
Motorhome since 2006 (caravanning 38yrs)
wow! It never got lower than 1.12 around here and the lowest I saw in Cornwall mid March was 1.14

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
wow! It never got lower than 1.12 around here and the lowest I saw in Cornwall mid March was 1.14
Just shows how the companies manipulate prices according to local competition (i.e. what they can get away with). I think it was about the same here as Thetford but we do have quite a few supermarkets competing with each other.

etap

Free Member
Nov 19, 2014
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 610
Exp
3 years
When diesel was £1.40 a litre a barrel of oil was 150 U.S. Dollars a barrel, today's price is 56 U.S. Dollars a barrel and diesel is about £1.18 a litre, so on ratio if it goes back to 150 U.S. D then we will be paying about 3pounds a litre, unlikely but today's price should be more like 60 p a litre so someone is making a killing, and it does not seem to be the oil companies, over to you retailers!
Not exact percentages but near enough to make a point.
Etap

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Diesel prices rose in the country because so many of us switched to diesel vehicles. It didn't happen in the rest of Europe because petrol remained more popular. Supply & demand or price fixing by the producers? Dunno :)

No unfortunately the truth is that the UK governments are just greedy barstewards,
In many EU countries diesels outsell petrols by 2-1 here for example.
In France it is over 3-1.
The on road % is falling slightly here in Spain , it used to be around 85% of all vehicles were diesel but now it is around 81%.
Diesel price has always been lower.

EU comparison , from 2012 when sales still in doldrums.

http://ec.europa.eu/eurostat/statis...ssenger_cars_by_type_of_engine_fuel,_2012.png

From what I have seen over the years most petrol vehicles are normally smaller cars in families ; Are cars young women tend to buy or are the real high end AMG Mercs, M series BM's,porsche etc.
I personally do not know anyone,Spanish or foreign ,here that has bought a petrol vehicle.

Daifuse

Free Member
Feb 20, 2013
Milford Haven
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Since 2011
Privately run garage a few miles from here on the A40 is selling diesel and petrol at the same price - £1.15 a litre.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
No unfortunately the truth is that the UK governments are just greedy barstewards,
In many EU countries diesels outsell petrols by 2-1 here for example.
In France it is over 3-1.
The on road % is falling slightly here in Spain , it used to be around 85% of all vehicles were diesel but now it is around 81%.
Diesel price has always been lower.

EU comparison , from 2012 when sales still in doldrums.

http://ec.europa.eu/eurostat/statis...ssenger_cars_by_type_of_engine_fuel,_2012.png

From what I have seen over the years most petrol vehicles are normally smaller cars in families ; Are cars young women tend to buy or are the real high end AMG Mercs, M series BM's,porsche etc.
I personally do not know anyone,Spanish or foreign ,here that has bought a petrol vehicle.
The difference in prices is nothing to do with the government. Tax is the same on both petrol and diesel. The difference is down to the sellers.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back