Free Member
May 8, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 1974 on and off
When I remove the dipstick ,after the its been standing for a few hours,it shows the level to be below the min level. If dipped again even after 30 mins it shows just under the full level. Should I take the first reading , or the second ? I dont want to have too little oil ,but I know too much isn`t good either.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Firstly...is your vehicle perfectly level when you are taking the readings?
If its only slightly off level you will not get a true reading.
Was always taught to check oil first thing in a morning after vehicle has stood overnight on level ground.
You are correct by saying to much is as bad as to little,if its overfull you take the risk of blowing seals.
I have found that diesel engines find there own level which is not always on the full mark,somtimes being a little under full.

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
That does sound a bit spooky but as said above, leave overnight on level ground and then check it.
At the moment if your getting a nearly full reading on the dipstick, leave it alone.

Jim

peter marshall

Free Member
Mar 5, 2009
Cleveleys,Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
9 Years
Hi Poppys
Reminds me of a situation years ago, I drove a security van for a living, once about every 6 weeks, I had to start work early when it was my turn to check oil and water in the van that serviced the lake district so the driver could start later and not go over his driving hours, the particular van in question had the wrong short dip stick unbeknown to me, the regular driver knew that if oil shown on the tip of the stick it was full, You can just imagine the mess it made going up the motorway, They were not amused :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
So dont overfill your MH before you solve your riddle of the levels.

Pete

Mixter

Free Member
Dec 2, 2009
Keighley, West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Now a year - cant believe it!
Surely you should get the same reading if the van hasnt moved, no matter how many times you test it. Are you sure you arent getting some oil 'drag' from the first reading? Is this higher mark an obvious all-the-way-round dark line, or is it smeared up the stick.?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
P

poppys

Free Member
May 8, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 1974 on and off
I dont have the oppartunity to leave it overnight anywhere level.The reason I think that the second reading is higher is because when the dipstick is put back after the first withdrawal the oil is forced up the dipstick tube.
The handbook says to check in the normal way and that there is a visual display on the dashboard,but the book display is different to mine that makes it useless.The engine is a Peogeut 2 Ltr HDI.

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Not quite on topic but it was an age old trick when petrol stations were manned for the attendant to ask if you want your oil checked.

They would show you the dipstick which will show below max because with an engine that has been running will have an amount of oil still in various parts of the engine before it has had time to make its way back to the sump where the dipstick measures.

Thus they could sell you a can of (overpriced) oil that you didn´t need...

Never heard of it the other way around though.

JJ

PS... NO... that attendant was NOT me...!

Mixter

Free Member
Dec 2, 2009
Keighley, West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Now a year - cant believe it!
I dont have the oppartunity to leave it overnight anywhere level.The reason I think that the second reading is higher is because when the dipstick is put back after the first withdrawal the oil is forced up the dipstick tube.
The handbook says to check in the normal way and that there is a visual display on the dashboard,but the book display is different to mine that makes it useless.The engine is a Peogeut 2 Ltr HDI.
What does the dash reading say if you fire it up on the level in a car park or similar? This will be the true level, despite yours being different to the book.

Mine has the same engine as yours. If i dip it level, its where it needs to be. But, as its parked on a bit of a slope, the dash says HIGH when its started.

I once checked a works van as a matter of course. Its was bone dry! I put a quart in. Still dry. I put another quart in, STILL dry. I put ANOTHER quart in, it bubbled out of the filler hole. The dip tube had come out of the block at the bottom.:ROFLMAO:

Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
When you pull the dipstick out, wipe it clean, then dip it. Take that reading, if unsure dip it again with a clean dipstick. It's best done first thing in the morning, after a rest.

Craig

Swisstony

Free Member
Aug 29, 2010
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since August 2010
When I remove the dipstick ,after the its been standing for a few hours,it shows the level to be below the min level. If dipped again even after 30 mins it shows just under the full level. Should I take the first reading , or the second ? I dont want to have too little oil ,but I know too much isn`t good either.

You didn't do this on a Ferry Crossing did you? :winky:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
now this is just a theory so dont take my word for it but....

when you first dip the oil you pull out the stick and have a gander then shove it back in....yes?

later, you do the same...pull out the stick and look at it. ?

just possible, if the crankcase breather is partly blocked, it could be the crank pressure is pushing the stick up slightly, beyond its O ring, to release the pressure....its only 1/2" or so.

when you push it back in the first time, you push it all the way.

later, you dip again but the stick was pushed right in last time, hence the higher reading second time round.

next time on the first check, try removing, wiping then inserting all the way in, then check.

apologies if this is what you're doing.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
The engine is a Peogeut 2 Ltr HDI.

Ours is the Fiat 2l JTD, I think the same and the dipstick is definitely a bit odd. I put it down to the tube to the sump maybe a bit small and collects sludge so not getting a free flow of oil.

Dip it a few times.

The on screen level always seem OK. It's something like

oooooooo-- or ----------oo

I forget but looks logical with zero oil on the left and full on the right.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Ours is the Fiat 2l JTD, I think the same and the dipstick is definitely a bit odd. I put it down to the tube to the sump maybe a bit small and collects sludge so not getting a free flow of oil.

Dip it a few times.

The on screen level always seem OK. It's something like

oooooooo-- or ----------oo

I forget but looks logical with zero oil on the left and full on the right.
our work vans, citroen berlingo's, have the same indicator.....

could be anything from 00000000 to ------------0 at any time of starting but its always full.

never put full faith in anything electronic if theres a foolproof manual version available.

the coolant indicator also comes on but again its always full.

niggle

Banned - Rule 1
Banned
Aug 5, 2010
SOUTH AND FRANCE
Funster No
MH
A CLASS
Exp
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: just like your daily pcv checks,, or dont you check hmmmmmm:ROFLMAO:

Eyeore

Free Member
Nov 5, 2010
Funster No
Dipsticks

Pull dipstick, wipe, insert, withdraw and check level. The plug that keeps the stick in and the dirt out creates a seal; the air in that area contracts/expands and sucks oil in or keeps it out of the tube thus giving false readings.

OP
OP
P

poppys

Free Member
May 8, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 1974 on and off
Firstly thanks to all for the replys,I do think Im dipping in the correct way,but Ive never come across such widely differing readings before and as to the dashboard reading the display is just a flat line (---)with out any graduations ,the handbook shows a number of squares, 6 being maximun ,1 minimum. Thus the confusion.

seymore

Free Member
Feb 13, 2010
Newcastle under Lyme.
Funster No
MH
Van coversion
Exp
This is the 4th van weve done
conflicting dipstick readings

Hi I have exactly the same problem with my merc 2.8 diesel.I have found that first thing in the morning the dipstick indicates low oil,wipe it ,test again and its where you would expect it to be,3/4 full .I have found that If I leave it and try it later it will repeat the higher level .I think when the engine is running and the oil is pumped around the engine it drains from the under side of the of the "S" bend in the dip stick.This seems a very good fit in the tube, I dont think it allows the oil to return to the correct level because it is air locked. Weve done 103000 miles to date, had this problem since we got it.happy travelling, dave

betterthenatent

Free Member
Aug 23, 2010
Funster No
Exp
first year
when we bought our van just over a year ago the dealer had over filled it with oil .They couldnt deny it as they stamped the service book. We made them drain some off. I mentioned this to the chap who dose our servicing and he said that Boxers are notorious slow fillers. the oil takes a long time to drain back to the sump. So when you are topping it up you look at the dip stick an think that it needs a bit more when really it is still finding its was down to the bottom of the engine. He said that you have to leave it a good half hour to check the oil after the engine has been running.

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
Hi I have exactly the same problem with my merc 2.8 diesel.I have found that first thing in the morning the dipstick indicates low oil,wipe it ,test again and its where you would expect it to be,3/4 full .I have found that If I leave it and try it later it will repeat the higher level .I think when the engine is running and the oil is pumped around the engine it drains from the under side of the of the "S" bend in the dip stick.This seems a very good fit in the tube, I dont think it allows the oil to return to the correct level because it is air locked. Weve done 103000 miles to date, had this problem since we got it.happy travelling, dave

I agree.

Many of these modern dip stick pipes tend to bend and curve down to the sump. Also they have quite a tight seal when the dipstick is in situ.

I always withdraw the dipstick, clean it, then put it back in, and push it fully in and out several times, so as to clear the airway and remove any possible oil trapped in the bends or curve of the pipe.

I then make sure the dipstick is nice and clean then slowly push it back in till fully inserted, leave a couple of seconds, then withdraw and check the level....:thumb:

On the level of course, I am, honest!!!:Eeek:

spannermanwigan

Free Member
May 22, 2008
wigan, lancs
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 1973

the correct method of manualy dipping any engine oil level is as follows,

if engine has been running stop and allow to stand for 5 mins. if not continue as
follows.

1) remove dipstick and wipe.
2) re insert fully.
3) remove and view level
4) repeat 1,2, and 3.

this should give 2 readings the same, this is the correct level.

your second reading is in fact the correct level

mechanic for 40+ years

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back