Oil level (1 Viewer)

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
I decided to check the engine oil today (2003 Ducato 2.8 diesel) and noted it needed a top up.
Unfortunately I misjudged how much would be needed and seem to have over filled it !
As the dash display reads HIGH on start up.
I only had about a litre so I`m guessing it`s overfilled by around a half to three quarters of a litre.
Question - do I need to worry ?

Mel

Free Member
Oct 6, 2012
De Haan Belgium
Funster No
MH
Caravan LMC
Exp
Since 2010 Caravan since 1995
If it where me I would remove the excess.
Its not good to run with too much oil in the engine

OP
OP
Figaro
Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
I thought that might be the answer.
Could be messy draining a bit from the sump plug.
Perhaps if I wipe the dip stick 500 times ?
Ah well, a job for next weekend.
Note to self, don`t mess with anything under the bonnet !

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
There's no cat or DPF on your van so I wouldn't worry too much. If you see blue exhaust smoke at speed then you will have to drain some but smoke is unlikely with an extra litre.

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
The dashboard displays are ntoriously inaccurate on oil level so check it on the dipstick, it may well be correct. My 2.0 litre Ducato work van regularly shows the oil level as low on the dash display despite being spot on on the dipstick.

D.

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
Never used one but you can get an oil extractor that uses a thin tube to remove oil from the top

Oct 7, 2015
newark
Funster No
MH
Swift escape 624
Exp
Ignore the dash warnings, never had one that was accurate , you have a dipstick is it over the full line?
if so drain some out as the level should be between the two lines, the top line is max not what it should be filled to. big problem is how many times you have to dip it before you get a correct reading, and ensuring the van is cold and level.
for some reason (seals or relief valve)an engine that starts burning oil when overfilled seems to keep burning it when back to level if run for to long

Last edited:

Scattycat

Free Member
Jan 3, 2013
Mayenne, France
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
Since 2010
I'm not sure how accurate the coment was but back in the dark ages when I first started driving I'm sure I read that if you over fill the oil then it can cause pressure to build up in the engine and may cause a problem with gaskets blowing.
As I said, I'm not sure how accurate the info was but on the odd occasions I've put too much oil in an engine I've taken steps to take out the excess .
I'm sure if I'm wrong someone will soon pipe up and tell me I'm talking rot

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
If you are really worried about it and it is showing VERY high on the dip stick, go to Boots and buy the biggest syringe they do.. then pop to the local pet shop and buy a metre of air line.
Attach air line to syringe and stick it down the dip stick hole.
Suck out what you do not want .. Simples :)

OP
OP
Figaro
Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
I like the tube and syringe idea, I'll try that at the weekend if the dipstick tells me it's overfilled. Just going off the dash display at the moment.
Thanks for replies everyone

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
A few years ago there were several garages that offered a quick oil change service..
All they did was pull out the dip stick, stick a tube down the hole and suck the old oil out..
Up until 2008 as standard, Smart cars never had a drain plug.. The only way to change the oil was to use the same method !
2008 on, with the advent of the use of the Mitsi engine, a drain plug was fitted ( and indeed, there was an aftermarket sump for the older Smarties that had a drain plug too :)

DJK

Free Member
Jul 29, 2015
Bury Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E645
Exp
I'm a Newbie
tube and large syringe from a chemist. make sure the tube is on tight to the syringe "YOU" don't want to leave it behind

OP
OP
Figaro
Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
I ordered the syringe off ebay and it came today. I`ll have a go at sucking some oil out at the weekend (y)

Can`t believe anyone would make a car without a sump drain, whats the world coming to and who thought that was good idea ?

DJK

Free Member
Jul 29, 2015
Bury Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E645
Exp
I'm a Newbie
Automation Why do you need a sump plug in main dealer They just suck it out into a big tank stored at the back no oil on the floor.
But then we come along and don't have an oil sucker outer and we are knackered. You could always have one welded in not a big job

DJK

Free Member
Jul 29, 2015
Bury Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E645
Exp
I'm a Newbie
Or use the great idea from Terry
If you don't want to drain some out then just remove the oil filter and replace it with a (empty) new one

OP
OP
Figaro
Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Automation Why do you need a sump plug in main dealer They just suck it out into a big tank stored at the back no oil on the floor.
But then we come along and don't have an oil sucker outer and we are knackered. You could always have one welded in not a big job

Ah, ok then.

If you don't want to drain some out then just remove the oil filter and replace it with a (empty) new one

No thanks, that would result in an oil slick down the drive. I much prefer the syringe idea

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back