Oil Leak on Oil Feed to Turbo 3.0 litre (180) (1 Viewer)

Apr 15, 2015
Whitchurch, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago E-Line 50
Exp
Since May 2011
Hello All,

Over the past couple of months I've noticed a smell of burning oil when I come to a stop when the engine is hot. Can't smell it whilst moving. It's a Fiat Ducato 3.0 litre (180).

Upon examination, and confirmation by a Fiat dealer during its 2 year service, it seems that I have a minor oil leak on the high pressure oil feed pipe that supplies oil to the turbo bearings. The amount of oil lost over 5000 miles or so has not required an engine oil top-up. The level on the dipstick was still over three-quarters when the oil was changed at service.

Firstly, does anyone know if this is common problem, and secondly, how easy is it to fix?

I'm assuming that it's just a case of dismantling the joint, cleaning it and replacing the washers. The Fiat dealer says that they have 'nipped up' the joint and think that it's fixed but I'm not so sure.

The problem is that the turbo appears quite difficult to access. My motorhome is a Hymer B class (A class to us Brits). It can't be accessed from the top of the engine. Even on a standard cab I would imagine access would be difficult because it's at the back of the engine underneath the inlet manifold . It can be accessed from underneath the vehicle.

It's still under warranty and I've been asked to run it for a few miles and take it back for a check. The dealership cleaned up the joint so any leakage should be obvious when I return.

Anyone else had this problem?

Mike.

Jan 22, 2013
London SE
Funster No
MH
A class Adria vision I707
Exp
since 1971
the oil feed pipe is normally a union with two small copper washers between it and the turbo, and the other end is usually a common olive type Union , so nipping them up could well sort out your leak,
keeping checking and if you are still loosing a bit then removal of pipe and replacement of copper washers is needed

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back