Oil filled radiotor (1 Viewer)

JulieJuJu

Free Member
Jul 5, 2021
Funster No
MH
c class
Hi, we’ve just bought our first motorhome and are total novices. We’ve booked a few trips with 10 amp hook up. My question is, would a 500 watt oil filled radiator be ok with the level of hook up we’ll be getting or will it trip? Thank you in advance for any responses....regards Julie 😊

Oct 11, 2016
Bognor Regis
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 69-4
Exp
6 years
Hi, we’ve just bought our first motorhome and are total novices. We’ve booked a few trips with 10 amp hook up. My question is, would a 500 watt oil filled radiator be ok with the level of hook up we’ll be getting or will it trip? Thank you in advance for any responses....regards Julie 😊
You'll need it this summer 😁

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 10, 2009
Bishop's Stortford
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
Since 2011
After watching a number of vlogs about motorhoming in cold weather we are considering taking a small oil filled radiator with us to use when we have EHU on site to reduce/eliminate condensation overnight. We will also have our Silver Screen on and our motorhome heating on low.
if we ever get back to France and Spain during the winter we will definitely take it!

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Your 10A hookup will allow you 2300W. Just add up everything you need at once and turn things off if you'll go over. Water heaters will take a lot. A standard domestic kettle goes up to 3000W these days, so you might want to choose carefully.

However, you do call it a "motorhome" rather than "campervan". Typically, these will have heating built in and you wouldn't need to bring along additional heating.

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
No problem using 500 watts on a 10-amp hook-up. You should also plenty of spare capacity for running the fridge on mains and charging your batteries simultaneously. :giggle:

Oh, and :welcome3: !! (y)

marchie

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Welcome to the Fun! Elaine and I are a pair of low tech meanies; we use a pair of hot water bottles that can be filled from the gas kettle; and the heating control involves kicking one, or both, of the bottles out of the bed ... :LOL: (y)

Steve & Elaine

OP
OP
JulieJuJu

JulieJuJu

Free Member
Jul 5, 2021
Funster No
MH
c class
Your 10A hookup will allow you 2300W. Just add up everything you need at once and turn things off if you'll go over. Water heaters will take a lot. A standard domestic kettle goes up to 3000W these days, so you might want to choose carefully.

However, you do call it a "motorhome" rather than "campervan". Typically, these will have heating built in and you wouldn't need to bring along additional heating.
Hi, I’ve bought a low watt kettle. It is a motorhome with a heater & airflow system but we just wanted something we could leave on to air the place for when it’s chilly & we pop out for a bite to eat on an evening (obviously not going out in the motorhome) but also wanted something safe to use for an awning, we’re not keen on fan heaters, find them temperamental. Thank you for helping me. I’m sure i’ll be posting many more questions on here in the coming weeks 😊

Aug 4, 2019
North East Riviera
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Enough to Survive
Hi, I’ve bought a low watt kettle. It is a motorhome with a heater & airflow system but we just wanted something we could leave on to air the place for when it’s chilly & we pop out for a bite to eat on an evening (obviously not going out in the motorhome) but also wanted something safe to use for an awning, we’re not keen on fan heaters, find them temperamental. Thank you for helping me. I’m sure i’ll be posting many more questions on here in the coming weeks 😊
As already mentioned….it’ll be perfect for your suggested use.

A friend who surfs uses one in a bedroom annex on his awning that he uses for a drying room for their wetsuits.

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Welcome to the Fun! Elaine and I are a pair of low tech meanies; we use a pair of hot water bottles that can be filled from the gas kettle;
Me too and the still warm water saves a bit of gas when I return it to the kettle to make my morning cuppa.

marchie

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner
If you don't mind the illumination, a halogen heater with 400w, 800w [and possibly 1200w] settings would take the chill off the awning. We bought one in Spain for the winter evenings, and were able to 'exchange' the noise of the fan heater for the illumination of the halogen ... At 400w setting left on overnight, it was enough to keep the caravan interior pleasantly clear of the night chill, and at no risk of creating a stuffy atmosphere.

Steve & Elaine

Feb 26, 2012
Funster No
MH
coach
Exp
Motorhome since 2006 (caravanning 38yrs)
Me too and the still warm water saves a bit of gas when I return it to the kettle to make my morning cuppa.
Oh, I couldn't do that. Doesn't it develop a taste?

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Oh, I couldn't do that. Doesn't it develop a taste?
I need two mugs first thing of strong China tea with two sugars in which you could stand yer spoon up before basic speech returns and it's absorutley rubbery.

Caggsie1

Free Member
Sep 2, 2013
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2008
We use a small oil filled radiator overnight and as background during the day. Heating is on very low overnight, 1 or 2 as I find it too drying and hot if it’s cold enough to come on.

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012

When I've had Truma heaters before, they had a 500W setting anyway and could be run without the fan. Your system might be different. The oil radiator will definitely work, but you may find you're soon looking for ways to reduce the weight and/or bulk of what you take with you. An oil radiator is heavy and bulky. If I was looking for a small, lightweight and safe heater, I'd go for ceramic, although they are noiser than radiators, which might be an issue.

BTW, a 500W oil radiator in an awning would be an exercise in futility, unless your awning is a lot smaller and more airtight than any I have used! For semi-outdoor spaces, radiant heat is more effective than convective heat, as it heats the people directly, not the air. It's why people like to congregate round a camp fire.

AndyPK

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 7, 2015
Cirencester
Funster No
MH
None……..!
Exp
Motorhoming since 2015......
Welcome from Ciren! (y)

We fitted a 100w electric towel warmer just inside the door of our ‘van, and even that keeps the chill off when it’s cold outside…..so your 500w rad will do just fine. Just don’t have too many electrical devices connected and in use at the same time…..;)

In a Pickle

Free Member
Oct 9, 2019
Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Knaus Boxlife LHD
Exp
Since 2001
The problem we have found is that are boiler is under the bed so It is always warm when the heating is on. A small oils filled radiator in the front of the van will prevent cold surfaces and so reduce condensation
That’s exactly what we do in Spain in winter. The only time we turn on the gas central heating is if we have wet coats then we hang them in the bathroom and open the vent fully and usually everything is dry within half an hour. We make sure we keep the vents closed in the rest of the van otherwise it just gets too warm!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back