Oil Degradation Change Oil Light Euro 6 Citroen 2 Litre Blue HDI 130bhp (Same engine as Peugeot) (1 Viewer)

GSD

Free Member
Dec 31, 2016
North Scotland
Funster No
MH
Fifer Touring "M" 2017 E6
Exp
10 years +
I have a 2017 Euro 6, 2 litre Citroen. Last Dealer Serviced in February 2019 at 13,000 miles. Van little used since October 2019 and last run on 1st March 2020 then "locked down" Started today but not driven. Mileage is 20,000 Change Oil warning has come up. Explanations ? Mileage tolerance to change if I need one. No plans to use van until at least September and possibly not until next year when service would be due anyway.

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
I would let it warm up, circulate and then check it again after a short drive. (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

• Thanks
Reactions: GSD
OP
OP
G

GSD

Free Member
Dec 31, 2016
North Scotland
Funster No
MH
Exp
10 years +
Sorry read your post twice but can't figure out what your asking.
Well I am wondering if anyone can suggest why the oil change warning might have come up since it is not due and apart from not being run for three months the use before that was normal including long and reasonably fast runs e.g. to Spain. Milage since service about 8000miles
Perhaps the non use has caused the oil to be degraded. I was also wondering if anyone knew how many miles could be run before problems. Due to covit we probably won't use the van this year but would like to run it and clean it.

Sep 6, 2019
Newcastle Upon Tyne
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Frontier
Exp
since 2015
My company van does the same, light flashes & message says 'change oil' servicing is every 20k, i drove 5k over the top without a problem. Yours shouldn't be due an oil change either on mileage or time, ring the dealer & ask.

• Thanks
Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
Either:
1, The ECU wasnt reset at the last oil change
2, You have done a lot of short trips and the ECU has done a number of forced regenerations of the DPF which has degraded the oil. Has the oil level risen slightly?
3, The DPF has partially blocked causing the ECU to try to force regenerate the ECU to clear it. Hass oil level Risen?
4, Unlikely, a sensor is faulty, which triggers the system to believe the oil needs changing. Could be a sensor to do with the DPF or Oil system.

The Coops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 8, 2019
The Fylde
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact DL
Exp
Yes, thank you
The dealer has not reset the computer when doing the oil change so it shows up as due at 20,000, you have another 13,000 miles left but still I would change the oil etc every year regardless of mileage

• Nice One!
OP
OP
G

GSD

Free Member
Dec 31, 2016
North Scotland
Funster No
MH
Exp
10 years +
Thanks. Because apart for non use the use has been normal so forced regeneration probably has not occurred but I will check oil level. It was a Citroen franchised dealer so probably dealer did reset both levels of reset. I will most likely give dealer a ring. it has to go back for a recall anyway.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
If you aren't using the van just leave the oil change until you do.
No point changing oil just to leave it stood possibly til next year.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Change Oil warning has come up. Explanations ?
It works on mileage/time/degradation
Well I am wondering if anyone can suggest why the oil change warning might have come up since it is not due and apart from not being run for three months the use before that was normal including long and reasonably fast runs e.g. to Spain.
Could either be time or degradation.

• Thanks
OP
OP
G

GSD

Free Member
Dec 31, 2016
North Scotland
Funster No
MH
Exp
10 years +
Thanks again for responses.

My take on the responses is as follows
Possibilities

Time. Clearly the oil is still "in date" for the 2019 change however if the vehicles computer was wrongly set (there were oil changes in 2018 and 2019) it may have erroneously come up with a two year change (2018-2020) just after I put it away in early March and I just saw it yesterday.
Degradation I don't know if degradation can occur "passively" i.e. just through the vehicle standing. If not then the circumstances would have been present when last used (a quick 140 mile trip to get MOT and manufacturers premises in late February) and nothing untoward then.
Mileage
Even based on the 2018 oil change the oil is well within its mileage parameters.
Faulty Sensor
Obviously a possibility.
Failure to Reset Service Computer
I know that the service computer has a two stage reset process which I will call "ordinary" and "associated with the DPF". There were issues with this when the vehicle was new caused by the supplying dealer (of the unconverted base vehicle) not correctly setting the computer at the PDI and I needed to return the vehicle for a reset ( a different dealer from the more local one I am using now but both Citroen Dealers).
I believe that a non franchised garage can reset the the first function but not the DPF function as it needs access to a Citroen specific computer system.

Blocked DPF (Change in oil level)
I will check this to see if oil level has risen implying dilution/degradation. Van is stored away from home.

After checking oil level I will speak to the dealer and update on his comments however I expect I will be told that if the computer says to change then it should be changed !

OP
OP
G

GSD

Free Member
Dec 31, 2016
North Scotland
Funster No
MH
Exp
10 years +
Been to Van today. Oil level is about 2/3 on dipstick so OK. I will take Van to dealer when it is off SORN which may be a while depending on our ultimate plans for using the Van given Covid-19 situation.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Modern Oil`s are (usually) fully sythetic, hence why they have longer "life" between changes. Degradation is more likely due to a malfunction of some part of the emissions paraphernalia. IMV.
BTW. SWMBO`s Previous Scenic, had a gearbox fault and the ECM was reprogrammed, which also messed with the scheduling too, so withing a few months she got a "Oil change now" warning despite it not being due.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back