Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
Van just over 12 months old so thought I would do an oil/filter change, turns out the left hand doesn't know what right hand is doing
Rung a number of fiat dealers half said 0/30 the other half said 5/30, rung supplying dealer who said 5/30 and even contacted Fiat customer services in Italy (Motorhome division) who confirmed 5/30 ACES C2
My problem is the Fiat manual that came with the van said 0/30 ACES C2 and was very specific about using the correct oil even mentioning that using any other oil as a fill up could invalidate the warranty
I think the problem is because I have a Euro 5+ engine, it seems the Euro 5 is 5/30 and Euro 6 is 0/30
What do you experts think I should do follow what the manual says or what Fiat in Italy have said
TIA

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
I would go to a Fiat dealer and buy the oil from them.
Confirm with the person behind the counter your reg number and it may be printed on the receipt along with the grade and part number.

I maybe wrong but I don't think there is a great deal of difference between 0 and 5/30

Stretto Boy

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2016
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2011
I don't see how Fiat can invalidate your warranty if you go with what is in the manual because, if the manual is wrong, it's their fault! If you want to go with what Fiat recommend then I would do so only if you get an email from them confirming that you may do so even though this contradicts the manual.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
It is a minefield now..
Similar thing.. on a mk 8 transit euro 5 engine..
Got some oil from ford to top up and was told that ford recommended the 5/30 full synthetic magnatec. .
When I took it to ford for a service at the end of its first year I asked them to confirm that that was what they would use to do the service since their parts deparent had said that was the correct oil...
Of course said the lad... :) by the time I got home the phone was ringing. .. same lad saying he had checked with workshops and the oil they used was not in fact the magnatec. . If that's what I wanted it would be another £20. So it is all a bit confusing.. but as long as it meets the manufacturers specifications and you have that proof and done by a registered buisness then the warrant should be OK if there was a problem..
Andy

Bobby22

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013
I have the same engine and year, if you go into a fiat dealer and give them the van registration they should come up with the right stuff 0w 30 is what i got and what it says in my handbook......... And it wasn't too expensive.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
sounds like your chassis was built up to 2 years ago and when sold had the latest handbooks. very common with motorhomes

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
Fiat Professional Dealer will give you the right oil. I rang mine up and said it was a year old and could do with an oil change and they asked what for. We have done 9000 miles so far. Service is not due till 20000. Modern engines are nothing like the old ones. The oils used are different again and they expect them to do very high millage between changes. Gone are the days of new oil every 3000 miles.

OP
OP
Gorse Hill

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
I have the same engine and year, if you go into a fiat dealer and give them the van registration they should come up with the right stuff 0w 30 is what i got and what it says in my handbook......... And it wasn't too expensive.
The problem I have there is my local Fiat Professional dealer said 5/30, yet the manual says 0/30
But like @TheBig1 said it's possible I was given a later version of the manual

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
I priced the oil for my Merc and got a bit of a surprise the 0/30 spf oil for the Euro 6 is about £120 from Halfrauds for Mobil 0ne, or Devlac about £90. It is not due anytime soon but I might just change the filter as it is so easy and get the Main Dealer to do the oil change when it is due in 20000 miles. It will take another year to get to the mileage and they said do it then as it isn't worth it before

Bobby22

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013
This is what your looking for.

image.png
The problem I have there is my local Fiat Professional dealer said 5/30, yet the manual says 0/30
But like @TheBig1 said it's possible I was given a later version of the manual
I went into the fiat dealer armed with the exact spec that was printed in the book. I asked for oil for my van, he asked my reg and supplied the exact letter for letter that was in the handbook.
I would follow the handbook as it states that warranty might be affected if you do 't follow the spec.

Last edited:

Neckender

Free Member
Oct 15, 2007
Neckend or North Wales.
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1Kombi day Van
Exp
Since 2004
I went to Platts Fiat dealership in Stoke on Trent and asked for a litre of oil to top up our 2017 Globecar based on a Fiat Ducato. They gave me the 5/30 oil and when I said that I needed the 0/30 as in the handbook they said that they had different charts which said different oil.
So who is right.

John.

OP
OP
Gorse Hill

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
I went to Platts Fiat dealership in Stoke on Trent and asked for a litre of oil to top up our 2017 Globecar based on a Fiat Ducato. They gave me the 5/30 oil and when I said that I needed the 0/30 as in the handbook they said that they had different charts which said different oil.
So who is right.

John.
That's exactly what I have found out, it's not about the cost it's about the right oil for my van
Having done quite a bit of technical research it's seems the 5/30 is a more suitable oil for the euro 5 engine, not much info on the Euro 5+ and for the Euro 6 0/30 is better suited
Fiat Italy have my VIN number and they said on there system it's 5/30, so probably get them to confirm in writing to cover my Harris and pretend the van never came with a manual

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
The reality is you can use either. The lower the viscosity the easier the start up in ultra low temperatures and the easier the load on the engine which I theory means more economical running..... just make sure you get low ash for the DPF

Steve N Tracy

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 1, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 Years
My local Fiat Professional Dealer told me that there had been a bulletin issued to all Fiat Professional dealers which superseded the 5w-30 oil with 0w-30 oil for Euro 5+ Ducato's the same as the Euro 6 models, now the question is did they all read the bulletin and did they understand it correctly?

Steve N Tracy

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 1, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 Years
Tried that and it comes up no product found for my Euro 6 Ducato.

John.
Definitely 0w-30 Selinia WR forward for the euro 6, now somebody tell me how your supposed to get it into a 2017 Dethleffs A Class there is so little clearance above the filler I had to result to decanting it into a a aerosol cap and poring it in that way, glad I won't be doing the full oil change.

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
Was walking through local village a few days ago and this thing on wheels went roaring by. And I took a deep breath and it all came flooding back. Castrol R.

Did not know you could still get it? :rofl:

PhilG

Free Member
Mar 8, 2016
leicester
Funster No
MH
euramobil 810
Exp
since birth
Fiat Professional Dealer will give you the right oil. I rang mine up and said it was a year old and could do with an oil change and they asked what for. We have done 9000 miles so far. Service is not due till 20000. Modern engines are nothing like the old ones. The oils used are different again and they expect them to do very high millage between changes. Gone are the days of new oil every 3000 miles.

This.. Oil does not need changing every 15 minutes, the engines are the same, the oil is a bit better, what has happened is the Lease companies dictate what theye are prepared to pay for, and the company with the longest service intervals gets the sale... hence why we went from having a 1000 mile service on new cars , to not having one till 6k, then 9k, then 18k, now on some its 24000... nothing has changed, just the book.

Americans are fools for this.. guys changing oil every 3000 miles on cars that are 20000 here.

I change mine in my little van once every 3 years whether it need it or not.

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
This.. Oil does not need changing every 15 minutes, the engines are the same, the oil is a bit better, what has happened is the Lease companies dictate what theye are prepared to pay for, and the company with the longest service intervals gets the sale... hence why we went from having a 1000 mile service on new cars , to not having one till 6k, then 9k, then 18k, now on some its 24000... nothing has changed, just the book.

Americans are fools for this.. guys changing oil every 3000 miles on cars that are 20000 here.

Not sure if your joking but leaving the oil in an engine for longer than specified is plain daft. Oil is subject to condensation cycles and can retain a minimal but hugely detrimental amount of moisture. Long service periods are in the eyes of most mechanics or those who know about engines is plain bloody daft.

Oil is cheap engines are not ....

PhilG

Free Member
Mar 8, 2016
leicester
Funster No
MH
euramobil 810
Exp
since birth
Not sure if your joking but leaving the oil in an engine for longer than specified is plain daft. Oil is subject to condensation cycles and can retain a minimal but hugely detrimental amount of moisture. Long service periods are in the eyes of most mechanics or those who know about engines is plain bloody daft.

Oil is cheap engines are not ....

I have been involved with oil spectroscopy , measuring both engine parts for wear, and also seeing the oil degradation that accompanied it.

London Transport did a study 20 years ago , and found that the oil in their test vehicle took 90,000 miles to get to a point where the oil needed to be changed, when they were doing them every 5000 miles. Obviously the engines were level checked and topped up regularly, which meant it likely wasn't all the same oil , but even so , it saved them a huge amount of money.

Where long service intervals 'is daft' is with the people that don't actually check their oil , and run the things low , which causes damage, rather than the oil itself.

The wife's Fiat is 20000 miles or 2 years, whichever comes first , which I consider reasonable, my van , which has 200,000 miles on it, runs on Asda own brand, as has everything else I have as a daily drive for the last 15 years.

My bikes get decent oil, they are properly stressed , and are maintained as such.

Don't be panicked into changing oil for no reason.

makems

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2011
Ingleby Barwick,,Teesside
Funster No
MH
Sadly had to give up
Exp
2010-2017

I was lving in rhe US a few years ago and had a Merc M Class 4x4 which had at the time a 15000 mile service interval. US dealer tried to tell me the oil had to be changed every 3000 miles.
I adked him whether they put different engines in the US Mercedes or whether it was the same as the European models. When he confirmed the engines were the same i asked why the oil change was not 15,000 miles or was this just a ruse to make more money.
There areliterally thousands of places in the US that do nothing but an oil change while you wait. The Yanks are addicted to oil changes because they dont know any better.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back