Ohhhh! Is THAT what they're for. (1 Viewer)

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
Was driving in deepest Lincolnshire today on my way up to Jim's place, when I started to notice red road signs with white lettering saying 'ER Out'. Originally, I thought these might have something to do with the military, but I thought that military signs are red lettering on a white background.

Turns out that they are evacuation routes in the event of severe flooding of the vulnerable East Lincs coastal towns. They direct 'evacuees' to higher ground and safety. The signs are not only for locals, but for visitors and holidaymakers unfamiliar with area. The signs also serve to keep traffic on designated routes which allow other routes to be used for the emergency responders.

Every day's a school day eh?

Jul 3, 2008
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 700
Exp
since 1998
Lincolnshire council did not inform the populace about these signs and for months us locals had not a clue what they referred to:sun:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
thanks for that, we have just driven back from Thetford via Lincs, saw loads of those signs and wondered

we also noted how many lay byes the CC provide and maintain. more on the A17 from Kings Lynn to Newark than we have spotted in virtually the rest of the country, good on you Lincs CC (y)(y)

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I have never seen these signs. I better open my eyes in future. Although I do know Lincs well enough to know my way out already :rofl:

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
Well that explains them. I've seen them and wondered what they were. Thanks for explaining.

Chrysalis

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 16, 2016
Herts
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp
I'm a newbie
Doesn't 'ER Out' mean the missus isn't at home, probably shopping? :D
That warning would need an apostrophe, Stretto Boy ! It might also mean that the lady's cricket innings was over!

Stretto Boy

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2016
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2011
I did spot the punctuation error in the official sign, so corrected it in my post! It's like the apple's sign at the fruit counter in the supermarket. So annoying. P.S. Aaaaaaargh! Just noticed the rogue ' after Out in my post. Must improve my typing. Exit stage left in shame to eat humble pie (or 'umble pie) . . . . . . . . :crying1:

Last edited:

Dare_Devil_Dennis

Free Member
Apr 22, 2017
Derby
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I grind my teeth at road signs That either do not inform or miss-inform. How about the common "USE BOTH LANES FOR xxx"? If I did, and straddled two lanes, I would get at best a few rude gestures and at worst a "pull" from a Police Officer. What is wrong with "USE EITHER LANE FOR xxx"? Before anyone instructs me that the sign does not address me personally but the traffic collectively, please consider "MERGE IN TURN" signs which do address the individual driver. No consistency here.

Come on, own up, who writes the standards for these "informative" signs? Someone gets a good salary out of it.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back