Oh what a trip....not (1 Viewer)

Jan 31, 2016
Alness, Cromarty Firth
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 (2012)
Exp
First trip out since October. Loaded up full water tank half waste tank. Full diesel tank too. Food clothes 2 bikes and dog for a weeks trip and set off for weigh bridge.
4250kg rated van came in at 3670kg. So all good there.

Travelled down to Loch Laggan. Then it all went to pot. Water pump wirred round but kept blowing fuse. Then we ran out of gas (Thought we had enough) then I slipped on mountain path and broke a toe.

Went to 2 garages that have lpg but both out of order so ended up going home.

Will try again next week sore toe or not. Will try to sort pump in mean time too.

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
Thats such a shame, I thought it was only us that experienced delays & disasters, but at least you were brave in going for it, with the weather forecast as bad as it is predicted to be.
Hope you get the pump and gas sorted out, along with you toe issue.
Great news on the payload though!, I dont think we would be that much under weight on a loaded up trip.
Best of luck, keep your chin up, kettle on, tea fixed everything !.:):)
Les & TinaL

Jan 2, 2017
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starspirit
Exp
7 years
Keep going. Never give up. Here's to next time.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
Look on bright side you could have driven halfway across Scotland :)

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Yes, me too, why take a half tank of waste? Should've taken a spare bottle of gas.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Had to give it a funny.
I thought my planning was bad, you take it to another level, as you have refillables why did you let both run out, I start to panic when the first bottle runs out, & I always carry a spare water pump.:)

Come on tell us why you set off with a ½ full waste tank.

At least you broke the toe in doing somthing active, I broke mine on the flipping oak bed leg at home dam thing took about 2 years before it stopped hurting hope you have better luck with yours.

Makes you feel smug when you are fully loaded and have bags off spare payload, we come in around 3900 kg on our 4500 kg chassis. :)

May 13, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
eight years in theory, a newby in practice!!!
If you took a full tank of waste, gas wouldn't have been a problem:whistle:

OP
OP
BusyBuilder
Jan 31, 2016
Alness, Cromarty Firth
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 (2012)
Exp
We wanted to be fully loaded for the weigh bridge so half filled the waste as we wanted to know for sure what weight we had to play with.
Gas was a pure simple mistake we have twin alugas bottles with auto change over. We thought we had enoughforthe weekend.

Bit miffed we couldn't get any gas locally. Off to Dornoch tomorrow as lpg station up there. Try a walk on the beach even with a big fat purple toe.

May 13, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
Bit miffed we couldn't get any gas locally. Off to Dornoch tomorrow as lpg station up there
Just ordered a Gaslow system for our new van and we've since heard that LPG isn't widely available in Scotland:Eeek:
What's your experience been?

Last edited:
OP
OP
BusyBuilder
Jan 31, 2016
Alness, Cromarty Firth
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 (2012)
Exp
Just ordered a Gaslow system for our new van and we've since heard that LPG isn't widely available in Scotland:Eeek:
What's you experience been?

We don't normally have a problem main supplier is Gleaner Fuels who run most independent stations. Just having a few problems at moment with maintenance I think.

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
In normal usage you would hardly find yourself with full water and half waste, possibly other way round.

Aug 27, 2014
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
McLouis Tandy 640+
Exp
Since 2014
What's you experience been?

It's true it isn't, but then again plenty of other things aren't widely available in areas as rural as Northern Scotland!

I can go about a week without filling up with LPG, I've not had a problem so long as I plan a little and use my LPG atlas, £7 from here:-

http://www.go-autogas.com/

There is an LPG station app that is supposed to be quite good, but it only works on Android phones, and I've got an Apple one.

It's not nice if you have to cut a holiday short. We had to on our last one - 5 o'clock at night in October, getting dark and cold, and the heating and fridge decide to pack up. Messed about with fuses and a multimeter for an hour or so and found the fuses had not gone but there was no 12v to either the boiler or the fridge. Was getting cold and we were only 2 hours from home so reluctantly we headed home, only a day early though.

Next day and I get a chance to look at it properly and find that it was a problem with a neutral feed from the distribution panel that sits behind the fuses - easy enough to fix at home with a full set of tools but would have been tricky to do on site - I probably could have done a temporary fix if I'd been further afield but as ever it's finding the problem first! Not much fun if it's near freezing and you're having to work standing outside the van with the passenger door open, with family inside getting steadily colder - the panel is behind the passenger seat in the cab and is a bit of a pig to get at unless you take the passenger seat out first :rolleyes:.

Aug 19, 2014
Cliftonville
Funster No
MH
A Class Burstner
Exp
Since 2014
First trip out since October. Loaded up full water tank half waste tank. Full diesel tank too. Food clothes 2 bikes and dog for a weeks trip and set off for weigh bridge.
4250kg rated van came in at 3670kg. So all good there.

Travelled down to Loch Laggan. Then it all went to pot. Water pump wirred round but kept blowing fuse. Then we ran out of gas (Thought we had enough) then I slipped on mountain path and broke a toe.

Went to 2 garages that have lpg but both out of order so ended up going home.

Will try again next week sore toe or not. Will try to sort pump in mean time too.
Shame you are not still in Scotland..... you could of joined in the celebrations after the rugby...!!!! :D

May 13, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
It's true it isn't, but then again plenty of other things aren't widely available in areas as rural as Northern Scotland!

I can go about a week without filling up with LPG, I've not had a problem so long as I plan a little and use my LPG atlas, £7 from here:-

http://www.go-autogas.com/

There is an LPG station app that is supposed to be quite good, but it only works on Android phones, and I've got an Apple one.

It's not nice if you have to cut a holiday short. We had to on our last one - 5 o'clock at night in October, getting dark and cold, and the heating and fridge decide to pack up. Messed about with fuses and a multimeter for an hour or so and found the fuses had not gone but there was no 12v to either the boiler or the fridge. Was getting cold and we were only 2 hours from home so reluctantly we headed home, only a day early though.

Next day and I get a chance to look at it properly and find that it was a problem with a neutral feed from the distribution panel that sits behind the fuses - easy enough to fix at home with a full set of tools but would have been tricky to do on site - I probably could have done a temporary fix if I'd been further afield but as ever it's finding the problem first! Not much fun if it's near freezing and you're having to work standing outside the van with the passenger door open, with family inside getting steadily colder - the panel is behind the passenger seat in the cab and is a bit of a pig to get at unless you take the passenger seat out first :rolleyes:.

Will put that atlas on my shopping list(y) I can't imagine cutting a holiday short. Getting our van has been over two years in the planning and we can't wait until June to 'live the dream':)

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Why did you take half a tank of waste ?:)
I was just thinking that. I set out with fresh water on board and empty waste and black tanks. That way the weight never changes unless you go to a lot of pubs, I drink the fresh and wash with it and it goes to the grey tank and the cassette, weight never changes at all until I drop the grey water and empty the cassette. fill up with more fresh and off you go again every two or three days. Gas is the only thing that evaporates from the weight equation.

OP
OP
BusyBuilder
Jan 31, 2016
Alness, Cromarty Firth
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 (2012)
Exp
We travelled DOWN to our destination at Loch Laggan. So yes we live in the Highlands near Cromarty.
We travel all over the Highlands free camping so off grid.
We really messed up this trip not checking the gas. But the water pump really confused me as it worked later on, maybe sometong in pump inlet inside the water tank ?
We'll go off again next weekend though broken toe or not, just not be hill walking.

I heartily recommend the Loch Laggan area it's really beautiful around there and for Monarch of the Glen fans you can go onto the beach and walk down to the big hoose. Lots to see, we had Golden Eagle flying above us in the early evening.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Often with the twin pumps one motor packs and the other one still works for quite a long time obviously at reduced pressure then goes a bit intermittent before finally failing, may have been run dry in the past.
Two types avalible with and without non return valve, I think your one has the non return valve & that ones cheaper, you can remove the valve. Always worth carrying a spare I do.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back