LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Sorry to hijack but is the ECG a requirement? I'm asking as I am allergic to the ECG pads so an ECG is a no-go for me.

Billy23

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
On a planet...far, ....far away.
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995
I lost my commercial pilots licence 25 years ago and my GP is a CAA doctor and has it all on file and said no way will he pass me to drive over 70 . It is all on record and I do not want to take the ECG now and fail it, just in case, although I am fit it is the paperwork that counts.

Understand now. Thank you.

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Like others I weigh mine regularly and do know the weight of the major stuff as I checked it on the wife's fancy glass digital scales as it all went on board. We've just emptied the van for a service and Hab check next week and plan to resite the heavier items under the front sofas to get more weight off the back end when I reload and also refrain from taking certain stuff that we won't use for the colder months to keep the overall weight down.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Like others I weigh mine regularly and do know the weight of the major stuff as I checked it on the wife's fancy glass digital scales as it all went on board. We've just emptied the van for a service and Hab check next week and plan to resite the heavier items under the front sofas to get more weight off the back end when I reload and also refrain from taking certain stuff that we won't use for the colder months to keep the overall weight down.
Oh Dear.......:cry::cry::cry::cry: Look, a MH is just an aluminum and plastic box, with a door instead of a lid. (y) Just fill it with all your goodies, and as long as the door still shuts, then fine.........:)

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
It was the Ovenden soil recycling one I went to first I did not get printouts from them as it was not working properly they said. The Zen one Would be an almost certain puncture as the scrap is all over the place, the Quarry was bad but the sharp items are something else, The same applies to Parkers at Canterbury, loads of swarf and metal bits all over the ground, OK for thick truck tyres but mine are a lot thinner.

Hi.
In Scrap yards,you plant a couple of quid in the Crane Magnet drivers hand and he will "Sweep" the weighbridge area.i did this with Thick Truck tyres.......Nearly as Thick as me.... LOL.
Tea Bag

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
NOT TRUE There is a standard,
European standard BS EN 1646 – part 2

Almost all makers pay lip-service to it. However, since late last year it got stupid and the NCC have agreed that makers may exclude the 90% full water tank, meaning they are allowed to quote payload with an empty water tank. Previously a 90% tank of water was one of the items (like a 75kg driver and a 4kg hook up lead and essential habitation equipment per passenger) that makers had to add before giving the payload. This means that some payloads this year look much better than they did last year.

What about foreign converters that don't care about the NCC?

EDIT: Sorry, didn't read it properly. Missed the Euro standard bit. So they all should abide by it but they don't.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
EDIT: Sorry, didn't read it properly. Missed the Euro standard bit. So they all should abide by it but they don't.

No they all abide by it. However last year the European Standard for Motorhome Payload was found to be in conflict with the European Directive for the Masses and Dimensions of vehicles, this has a higher priority in law. The upshot, they can ditch the 90% water if they wish and quote a payload with full or empty water tanks. Most still quote 90% but plenty don't include water at all. by ignoring water at 1kg per litre the payloads sound much healthier.

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 669
Exp
Since April 2013
Parker Steel at Vauxhall Industrial Estate , Canterbury, is a about 15miles from you, but they only weigh new steel, no waste. The other two listed deal in waste and tippers. Parkers might give you an accurate result.

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Oh Dear.......:cry::cry::cry::cry: Look, a MH is just an aluminum and plastic box, with a door instead of a lid. (y) Just fill it with all your goodies, and as long as the door still shuts, then fine.........:)

Reminds me of Portuguese buses, if they can shut the doors theirs room for one more.:D And before JJ jumps on me, I found them excellent and very clean.

Ian

Jamwitt

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 18, 2012
Chandlersford
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
4yrs
Hi steve n Tracy looks like you have the same van benimar 202 got to weigh mine what were your weights well with in or over I took the free upgrade to 3.650 ?

The Dotties

Free Member
Jan 31, 2015
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Ex Newbie
I think about it like this........Poodling down the motorway........Mr plod pulls in front, with a flashing 'FOLLOW ME' sign. Onto weighbridge. "Sorry sir, your motorhome is grossly overweight. You cant proceed until you unload something really heavy........."
Sorted. The wife gets a two week break at Keel Services.........(y)(y)

That is going to take more than a couple of aspirin to relieve the pain coming your way!:)

Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
You have explained why you bought the van but did you make the reason crystal clear to the seller? If you did then you have a good case against them. If not then you may find it difficult to show that they have done anything wrong. Incidentally claiming "not fit for purpose" is unlikely to work try "miss-sold".

Reactions: DBK

Steve N Tracy

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 1, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 Years
Hi steve n Tracy looks like you have the same van benimar 202 got to weigh mine what were your weights well with in or over I took the free upgrade to 3.650 ?
With a full fuel and water tank 2 electric bikes on the back me and my wife and everything else we would take on holiday ,
Front axle 1780 kgs
Rear axle 1860 kgs
Gross 3640 kgs
140 kgs over the 3500 kgs plated weight but less then 5% over dump the water and use some fuel close enough.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
with well other 1100kG payload I do not think even I will be able to overload the old girl !!

Jamwitt

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 18, 2012
Chandlersford
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
4yrs
With a full fuel and water tank 2 electric bikes on the back me and my wife and everything else we would take on holiday ,
Front axle 1780 kgs
Rear axle 1860 kgs
Gross 3640 kgs
140 kgs over the 3500 kgs plated weight but less then 5% over dump the water and use some fuel close enough.
Thanks steve I'm glad I took the free upgrade now but still need to get weighed I see your in Southampton where did you get yours weighed

Steve N Tracy

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 1, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 Years
Thanks steve I'm glad I took the free upgrade now but still need to get weighed I see your in Southampton where did you get yours weighed
European Metal Recycling Dundas Spur Dundas Lane Portsmouth PO3 5NX no need to book and they are open Saturday mornings.

PhilG

Free Member
Mar 8, 2016
leicester
Funster No
MH
euramobil 810
Exp
since birth
I have been pulled , and although i was travelling light ( by my standards) , i was still way over.
If you are no more than 10% over , ( i was 3950 on a 3500 van) , they issue a ticket , but allow you to proceed, but more than that , you have to be under your weight to proceed , not the +10% figure. So i had to dump stuff at the side of the road, leave my son to guard it , and go home, empty the thing totally and hope i could get everything back in that i had dumped. When you see 6/7 berth vans with 750 kg payload , you have to ask what expectation there will be that it would ever be legal in use.

OP
OP
GWAYGWAY

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Mine would be perfectly usable at the lower limit for two people but I could take out the beds for four and the seats for four as it would be fine for two. At the uprated weight it is OK for most all things . I love the van but it is very tight for the future so I will weigh it again properly. It is the stupid arbitary limit that is the wrong thing all the fuss for a few more kilos after a certain age. There are a load more makes that are a damn site worse in that they cannot carry anything. My Chausson Oddesee was brought into the country with an empty weight 30 kgs below the 3500 and one was returned and they had to upgrade all of them to 3860kg. I will not be adding to much to the spec, no awning and in fact nothing that does not actually earn its weight in usefulness. As for multi seat vans, where do they think the payload would go if 5 or 6 occupants were actually in it.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
with well other 1100kG payload I do not think even I will be able to overload the old girl !!

I thought that till I weighed my 5 ton Hymer, found I was over weight and had no wife on board, wasn't going to bother getting weighed, thought I had masses of spare o_O

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
I have just had our motor home weighed and the sum of the 2 axles is exactly the same as the gross weight, I reckon it depends on the skill of the operator as to where they tell you to stop when weighing the individual axles.

Nothing to do with an operator as here the public certified bridges that are all used by the haulage trucks are operated by your good self. (y)
It does not matter where the vehicle is positioned on the bridge, it should weigh exactly the same anywhere.
I just put the front on for the front weight. run on for total weight & then back axle just on. The axles always add up to the total.
Most vans at 3500 aren't fit for purpose. They certainly can't carry 4 or 5 people.

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
That is going to take more than a couple of aspirin to relieve the pain coming your way!:)
PAH! I scorn pain! My body is a temple to asprin. (y) And anyway, she cant read anything which dosent include the following words.....
Dress
Shop
Money
Handbag
Mother
Grandchildren
More money
My money. :cry:

OP
OP
GWAYGWAY

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
All is revealed, It is a DODGY BLOODY weighbridge where I had it done. Instead of the weight being 4100kgs as they said it turns out to be 3520kgs and the axles weight are 1900kg on the back and the front is 1620kgs, this is as we would br using it with me and Wifey, 25litres of water full fuel at 100 litres a new spare tyre fitted, with a jack to lift it, some food stuff and some clothes, not a fully loaded ready to go to the big trek but enough to go a couple of days . The weigh bridge I went to today was clean nicely laid out and on a level area. The operator made me drive right up to the rear wheels nearly touched, the same with the front weighing so the vehicle was as near the centre of the platform as possible. I then went to the centre of the platform and got the main weighing. they all added up within a couple of kilos. I am very happy now as I spent time yesterday adding the given weight for every optional part and the Miro then added Wifey and the other useful items, that added up to almost the same weight as the weightbridge gave me.
SO the Hymer weights were spot on accurate and I was panicking about the dodgy weighbridge readings, The way they told me to do it was entirely wrong and the whole thing was distinctly bad. The uncertified weigh bridge at the local tip was where I went to redo the weighing yesterday was within a few kilos of the readings today, so they are OK as well. That whole episode had me really worried as you do not expect the CERTIFIED weighing station to be that far out, and I though that I was really in the mire.
ALL IS WELL IN MY HOUSEHOLD NOW. I can now safely add the payload I want and be really well inside the legal limits even if I need to drop the licence limits in a couple of years. Also I can set the tyre pressures at the optimum as given to me by Continental today.

Southampton

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 16, 2011
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2009

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
ALL IS WELL IN MY HOUSEHOLD NOW. I can now safely add the payload I want and be really well inside the legal limits even if I need to drop the licence limits in a couple of years. Also I can set the tyre pressures at the optimum as given to me by Continental today.
Really glad you got that sorted. (y) Funny really, our van was built with 3200 on the plate, front axle 1500kg, rear 1700kg. Then at some time in the past, it was 'uprated' to 3500 tops. My question has always been, what makes the maximum weight on axles suddenly get better just because a man in a suit stamps a line through 3200 and ads 3500 to an alloy plate?? o_O

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
All is revealed, It is a DODGY BLOODY weighbridge where I had it done. Instead of the weight being 4100kgs as they said it turns out to be 3520kgs and the axles weight are 1900kg on the back and the front is 1620kgs, this is as we would br using it with me and Wifey, 25litres of water full fuel at 100 litres a new spare tyre fitted, with a jack to lift it, some food stuff and some clothes, not a fully loaded ready to go to the big trek but enough to go a couple of days . The weigh bridge I went to today was clean nicely laid out and on a level area. The operator made me drive right up to the rear wheels nearly touched, the same with the front weighing so the vehicle was as near the centre of the platform as possible. I then went to the centre of the platform and got the main weighing. they all added up within a couple of kilos. I am very happy now as I spent time yesterday adding the given weight for every optional part and the Miro then added Wifey and the other useful items, that added up to almost the same weight as the weightbridge gave me.
SO the Hymer weights were spot on accurate and I was panicking about the dodgy weighbridge readings, The way they told me to do it was entirely wrong and the whole thing was distinctly bad. The uncertified weigh bridge at the local tip was where I went to redo the weighing yesterday was within a few kilos of the readings today, so they are OK as well. That whole episode had me really worried as you do not expect the CERTIFIED weighing station to be that far out, and I though that I was really in the mire.
Good news!! Now go and enjoy your lovely new van!!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back