LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I thought that till I weighed my 5 ton Hymer, found I was over weight and had no wife on board, wasn't going to bother getting weighed, thought I had masses of spare o_O
Fully freighted ready for the winter jaunt ( so 125 scooter on th eback, everything inc twin tub washing machine on board, full tank of water, full tank of diesel, 4970 kg.. Plated at 5250 kg :)
I think I would be hard pushed to find room to carry anything else !!!!!

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Fully freighted ready for the winter jaunt ( so 125 scooter on th eback, everything inc twin tub washing machine on board, full tank of water, full tank of diesel, 4970 kg.. Plated at 5250 kg :)
I think I would be hard pushed to find room to carry anything else !!!!!

you just need a decent engine up front to tip you over :LOL::LOL:

Nov 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 669
Exp
Since April 2013
You have my sympathy, the following weighbridges do not weigh scrap , John Parker Steel Suppliers, Vauxhall Road, Canterbury, Saracen Horse Feeds, Forstal Road Aylesford. I have used Saracen on two occasions both times I would think they are pretty accurate. If you want a printed ticket its 20pounds otherwise they will write the weights for you for a few pounds. However I always think it laughable when MH Manufacturers advertise their vehicles as four and six berth, I take it the other occupants follow by car? To build a usable Motorhome at 3.5 tonnes is nigh on impossible with the current requirements of most buyers.

Oct 11, 2016
Bognor Regis
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 69-4
Exp
6 years
I have been pulled , and although i was travelling light ( by my standards) , i was still way over.
If you are no more than 10% over , ( i was 3950 on a 3500 van) , they issue a ticket , but allow you to proceed, but more than that , you have to be under your weight to proceed , not the +10% figure. So i had to dump stuff at the side of the road, leave my son to guard it , and go home, empty the thing totally and hope i could get everything back in that i had dumped. When you see 6/7 berth vans with 750 kg payload , you have to ask what expectation there will be that it would ever be legal in use.
Am I correct in reading the above that you can be up to 10% over the gross weight?

PhilG

Free Member
Mar 8, 2016
leicester
Funster No
MH
euramobil 810
Exp
since birth
If you are up to 10% over , I think they allow you to get to 5% over , and proceed , but over 10% you have to get under the proper weight..

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
GWAYGWAY

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
I have gone and put the GVM upto 4200kg now and that certainly sorts out the problems of loading it no, and I can still drop it down to 3500kg and carry us and a few bits, as I have a towbar that can pull enough to keep us in teabags now. The bits and extras do weigh a lot but they could come off and put it down to manufacturers weight.. I really did not know what had happened with that bloody weighbridge, the bloke was weighing the axles and because it was right on the end beyond the pivots I had the other end of the weighbridge pushing down as well same for the rear end. He was just a dumbo that didn't know what to do properly.,

injebreck99

Free Member
Dec 5, 2011
norfolk
Funster No
MH
Low profile C Class
Exp
Since 1997
There have been several threads on payloads and margins lately. It's sometimes suggested we insist on taking the van to a weighbridge before we commit ourselves but I've yet to hear of anyone who has done it, or a dealer who would let you. I feel for you.

We had our Broadway weighed by the dealer as part of the purchase deal, and a certificate issued to us as well, take a bow Simpsons of Gt Yarmouth.

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
Hi, the hymer handbook used to be very comprehensive. They used to put all the weights of the add ons including cab air con.is this is yours?
Have you checked the hymer website and the tech specs?
They are quoting payload as 485 kg, mass in running order 3015, but not sure what this includes.

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Hi, the hymer handbook used to be very comprehensive. They used to put all the weights of the add ons including cab air con.is this is yours?
Have you checked the hymer website and the tech specs?

Yes , it is a very comprehensive handbook as are the sales catalogues .
When we bought ours I went through the complete list of add ons and weights which confirmed the advertised payload.

OP
OP
GWAYGWAY

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
I worked the extras weights out from the sales price list and it is spot on only thing is I kept finding more extras I didn't count fitted to it.

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Don't worry...

It's a Hymer

Bits will fall of it as you go along.

This means after a short while it will make itself lighter.

Don't fix any back on

I'm not much use am I ;)

Il get me coat ?

OP
OP
GWAYGWAY

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Don't worry...

It's a Hymer

Bits will fall of it as you go along.

This means after a short while it will make itself lighter.

Don't fix any back on

I'm not much use am I ;)

Il get me coat ?
Shoo! Go away, don't say things like that, there are a load of proud Germanics on here you know that might string you up for that statement

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back