Oh my word....this is going to be interesting (1 Viewer)

OP
OP
J

JojoHu

Free Member
Oct 25, 2020
Pécs, Hungary
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Total newbie
:WelcomeFlag:

It's normally me that does the cassette and I am the duck part rather than the drake part. I can honestly say it doesn't concern me at all - I contribute so I should empty. Personally I do not like the chemicals and find the bio capsules a much nicer smell. However they do need time to work! We used to "do" the cassette almost as soon as we returned home but one time it got forgotten for a couple of days ....... much easier to empty after having left the magic to happen and even less smell!

I always make sure the cap (and slide part if doing a really thorough rinse) is placed on the floor well away from the disposal opening - do not put them anywhere near where they can get knocked in! It really isn't an issue at all.

Our cassette locker is quite deep and the cassette sits well to the rear of the locker so I have a couple of baskets in there with cleaning supplies - which frees up space inside the van. The previous van didn't have that.

I am also a fan of zoflora and have a squirty bottle of dilute zoflora for cleaning the shower and loo :) Much nicer smell than many other products.

Thanks for the advice - especially about placing the cap further away. It's bad enough fishing around in clean toilet water when you knock something into the loo - but fishing in that - hahahaha. I am concerned about the weight of the cassette. As I said, we haven't taken possession yet. Having done nappies etc. I think ducks make less of a fuss that drakes with this kind of thing, but who knows, it could be a bonding experience for my drake at the poo pond :-D We are definitely going to practice emptying with clean water before we go 'live'.
I don't think they have Zoflora over here. Isn't it just a really intense (floral) smelling liquid (I remember from childhood). Could I substitute with other smell disguisers? Maybe air freshener that comes in the pump bottle (as opposed to gas-powered)?
I think I'll definitely get some of the pink stuff to spray the bowl as we have only one water tank, not a separate one for the flush.
I am also planning to get some of the toilet liners to simplify cleaning. This is going to be a good way to become more environmentally friendly, use less water etc.
Thanks again for your advice.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
:welco:
Recently, I ended up in a German hospital for a week, pleased to report 'er indoors self training went quite well.

IMG20201023180252_copy_1024x768.jpg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Thanks for the advice - especially about placing the cap further away. It's bad enough fishing around in clean toilet water when you knock something into the loo - but fishing in that - hahahaha. I am concerned about the weight of the cassette. As I said, we haven't taken possession yet. Having done nappies etc. I think ducks make less of a fuss that drakes with this kind of thing, but who knows, it could be a bonding experience for my drake at the poo pond :-D We are definitely going to practice emptying with clean water before we go 'live'.
I don't think they have Zoflora over here. Isn't it just a really intense (floral) smelling liquid (I remember from childhood). Could I substitute with other smell disguisers? Maybe air freshener that comes in the pump bottle (as opposed to gas-powered)?
I think I'll definitely get some of the pink stuff to spray the bowl as we have only one water tank, not a separate one for the flush.
I am also planning to get some of the toilet liners to simplify cleaning. This is going to be a good way to become more environmentally friendly, use less water etc.
Thanks again for your advice.

Zoflora is a concentrated disinfectant, made in Yorkshire - and it does have an intense smell and there are lots of varieties these days. I don't like the artificial pine smell that many disinfectants have which is why I like zoflora. It's also a very small bottle so takes less space. Perhaps there is an equivalent product where you are?

If worried about the weight of the cassette empty it before it gets too full. Most do have wheels so the lifting is more of a lowering from the cassette locker to the ground and if the disposal point has a rim rather than a hole in the ground you have to lift it to there. Actually that could be his contribution - the moving and lifting part!!!!! Many people empty their cassettes as part of their daily routine which makes the cassette much lighter but gives no time for any treatment additive to work.

I have no idea if this works:

Amazon product ASIN B01N42EYS7 or it might even rot the seals on the cassette - I always thought you would do just as well with a drop of essential oil but again that may damage the seals so I have never been brave (or foolhardy) enough to try.

We don't use the liners and just use the toilet paper cross method of lining the bowl, with blade open before bombs away.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back