Free Member
Jul 26, 2016
stratford upon avon
Funster No
MH
hymer s700
Exp
new owner
hello everyone,just joined and this is my fist post not very good with this interwebby thing so bear with me
Anyway just gone and bought a 1993 Hymer S700 with my wifes FULL approval(just want that down in writing to point to in case of divorce proceedings later on) and we pick her up on saturday hopefully.
Im afraid we have let our hearts rule our heads a bit already putting a deposit down sight unseen but having seen nothing but dogs or missing out on all the good ones wejust jumped at this one but now i need some reassurance that we have done the right thing in buying our own instead of just keep on borrowing my Dads (cheers mate just in case your reading) having worked my way up through his Bedfords(lovely old buses) Peugeot,Citroen coachbuilts and aVW transporter (sorry but yuck) i have jumped staight in at the deep end with an A class for my first ever motorhome, lucky me the only way is down from here right LOL i feel like im 9yrs old again and cant wait till saturday
ps sorry for the long post i always waffle when im excited
nite nite campers going to try to go to sleep now

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Just don't part with any more dosh till you've seen it !

Hope it's all you want - and a lot of the older Hymers are good, but not one make of em are guaranteed problem free even if they made it last week. Don't forget to jump up and down on the floor - same as caravans, if it feels 'soggy' - that's because it IS. Not rocket science! Makers charge silly money for OEM parts - and that's why God created firms like O'Leary's LOL

Hope it's wonderful - enjoy!

Oh - and don't forget to tell us anyway.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
hello everyone,just joined and this is my fist post not very good with this interwebby thing so bear with me
Anyway just gone and bought a 1993 Hymer S700 with my wifes FULL approval(just want that down in writing to point to in case of divorce proceedings later on) and we pick her up on saturday hopefully.
Im afraid we have let our hearts rule our heads a bit already putting a deposit down sight unseen but having seen nothing but dogs or missing out on all the good ones wejust jumped at this one but now i need some reassurance that we have done the right thing in buying our own instead of just keep on borrowing my Dads (cheers mate just in case your reading) having worked my way up through his Bedfords(lovely old buses) Peugeot,Citroen coachbuilts and aVW transporter (sorry but yuck) i have jumped staight in at the deep end with an A class for my first ever motorhome, lucky me the only way is down from here right LOL i feel like im 9yrs old again and cant wait till saturday ps sorry for the long post i always waffle when im excited

:welcome4:Welcome to Fun.

Picking the wife up on Saturday, do you remember where you left her? :)

kcy

Free Member
Nov 7, 2013
east yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chausson flash
Exp
since 2012
Im afraid we have let our hearts rule our heads a bit already putting a deposit down sight unseen but having seen nothing but dogs or missing out on all the good ones wejust jumped at this one but now i need some reassurance that we have done the right thing in buying our own instead of just keep on borrowing my Dads (cheers mate just in case your reading) having worked my way up through his Bedfords(lovely old buses) Peugeot,Citroen coachbuilts and aVW transporter (sorry but yuck) i have jumped staight in at the deep end with an A class for my first ever motorhome, lucky me the only way is down from here right LOL i feel like im 9yrs old again and cant wait till saturday
ps sorry for the long post i always waffle when im excited
Sight un seen!? Are you 9years old? Hope all goes well. Oh and. Hello

Nov 6, 2013
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B574DL
Exp
Since 2011 (tugger for 20 before that)
:HelloThere:
From us in East Sussex and
:pink:
I hope your Hymer is all you hope it to be (y)

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Your perhaps pushing the boundaries of good luck if buying unseen but you won't know until you see it. It's 23 years old so there are going to be issues so go prepared for work / expense.
Don't part with any more money and be prepared to walk away if it's not what your expecting.
Hope it goes well for you, let us know.
Did you say you got wife's approval in writing, you may need it !

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Hello and welcome to the Fun
upload_2016-7-27_9-11-3.png

I expect all will be well with your new moho but do remember that IF things go wrong then among all the "told you so's" and "I've never made a mistake's" there will be LOADS of help and advice available on here. But with good luck and a following wind all will be fine :) Sounds like you have plenty of experience anyway (y)

Happy travels!

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
i do hope you havent bought from a serviceman stationed abroad/north of scotland, who will deliver the vehicle once youve paid through westen union or by transfer personally i wouldnt part with any money without seeing the van in front of me
is it this one?

Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
Hi there and welcome to the madhouse. Just to let you in on a secret.....we did the same! And......we've just returned from 24 days in Europe ( went to Poland). Not without a couple of issues, but our MH was born in 1991. So what can you expect! We love her and can't wait for the next adventure. Happy travels!

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
Hello and welcome from West Midlands. We bought our motorhome without all the precautions. We knew nothing about motorhomes (weren't even intending to buy one!). Went over to take a look and said we'd think about it...then drove off. By the time we got to the end of the road we turned back and agreed to take it :eek:.
It proved to be just fine. Wasn't a scam and hasn't given anything but minor niggles that you might expect. We've looked at plenty since but haven't seen one we prefer. That was 5 years ago. So don't be overly concerned.

Wyn

Wyn

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Hi welcome to fun I have had motorhomes and I fell like a 9yo every time I step in to my van to go away don't let the felling go
Were away with our van on Saturday me the wife and the weeman are sooooo excited
So don't let that feeling go sume grate Holiday's and exciting adventures a head happy motor homing
Willdbill

Hils and Glenns

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 13, 2015
N Yorks
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 674
Exp
Since 2015
We did see our Hymer before we bought it, but were very naive. We didn't test drive it or ask any useful questions just jumped in and did it. :Eeek:Considering all that I think we've been really fortunate with it. Not too many problems and we love it. Although we look round showrooms etc we still haven't seen any we prefer (well not that we can afford anyway). We've had a lot of help from this site. Hope it all works out well for you too.
:welc:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I suppose if I had to buy a 23-year-old van sight unseen I'd make sure it was a Hymer. :) But do be careful, they old girl could have plenty wrong with her. So make sure you check everything twice before parting with more cash. Check out The Motorhome Buyers Guide it’s free to subscribers (y)

grumps147

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
St.Helens
Funster No
MH
Between
Exp
MH 12 yrs -Tent/Caravan 49 years
Welcome esprit391. :hiya2:

I sincerely hope all goes well for you. Subscribing is well worth its value annually, not only is there a wealth of existing knowledge you can search for, but just in case you can't find what you need you just ask. Older Hymers are very popular, so as soon as you can get to one of the Rallies and get chatting. Lincoln show is coming up, again you need to be a subscriber to stay with Fun in our area, but plenty of funsters going to chat to, and a good trade area for those things you never knew you needed.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
i do hope you havent bought from a serviceman stationed abroad/north of scotland, who will deliver the vehicle once youve paid through westen union or by transfer personally i wouldnt part with any money without seeing the van in front of me
is it this one?
Well if it is that one , at least it's not a scam and apart from looking a bit on the dear side for the year, it looks ok, and I think there is some sort of come back on motorhome depot, not a lot but just a bit better than private:)

Mar 10, 2016
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class RMB 750HE
Exp
Three years and counting, 30 years a tent tower.
Im afraid we have let our hearts rule our heads a bit already putting a deposit down sight unseen
:hiya2:
Oh we did something very similar, I was on my ship in Thailand, finally saw the one I'd been looking for on mobile.de and managed to persuade the owner to sell it to me via email on the basis of his pictures and knowing what family heirlooms RMBs are. Same as you plunked down a deposit and went to Germany two weeks later excited as a four year old. It was actually even better than I expected and they will prise the keys out of my cold dead hands:D:D.

So GOOD LUCK, Hope it is THE ONE and there are many happy times ahead. Do become a subscriber, this is the BEST motorhome site, and we'll see you down the road somewhere....:):)

Jul 6, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic A clas
Exp
Since 1990
Welcome to FUN - the £15 per year subscription to become a full member is well worth it, in my opinion.

So, you've paid a deposit and intend to view the van on Saturday.

What happens if the mechanicals or habitation devices are not working as expected? You may find that the tyres need replacing if they are more than 5 to 7 years old (check the date of manufacture indicated on the tyre wall). A new set of rubber will set you back at least £500.

What I'm saying is, do you have the opportunity to negotiate the price if you find things need fixing or replacing to make it fit for purpose? I sold a 10 year old Hymer but made sure everything worked properly before putting it up for sale - some sellers just want to offload all their problems to the unsuspecting buyer.

As others have said, don't part with any more money unless you are happy with the general working condition of the vehicle and it has a full service record. Also ask if a damp test has been done recently.

Best of luck. If you are talking to the present owners, you should get a lot of feedback on how well they have looked after the van and their reason for selling. It looks a nice van on paper but prepare yourself for a Plan B.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Welcome to FUN - the £15 per year subscription to become a full member is well worth it, in my opinion.

So, you've paid a deposit and intend to view the van on Saturday.

What happens if the mechanicals or habitation devices are not working as expected? You may find that the tyres need replacing if they are more than 5 to 7 years old (check the date of manufacture indicated on the tyre wall). A new set of rubber will set you back at least £500.

What I'm saying is, do you have the opportunity to negotiate the price if you find things need fixing or replacing to make it fit for purpose? I sold a 10 year old Hymer but made sure everything worked properly before putting it up for sale - some sellers just want to offload all their problems to the unsuspecting buyer.

As others have said, don't part with any more money unless you are happy with the general working condition of the vehicle and it has a full service record. Also ask if a damp test has been done recently.

Best of luck. If you are talking to the present owners, you should get a lot of feedback on how well they have looked after the van and their reason for selling. It looks a nice van on paper but prepare yourself for a Plan B.
Motorhome depot won't let you talk to the owners:(

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back