Free Member
Jun 24, 2009
Alvorge,Portugal
Funster No
MH
Rockwood Fiver
Exp
2 years long time ago
Hi All just returned from pickering, had a nightmare 9 hour trip up from Hastings, East sussex. 3 hours to get through Dartford Crossing!!! arrived pickering 1am but we cheated and stayed at the white swan hotel in pickering very nice. spent most of the day was spent on 5th wheel stands as we are just about to order a 2010 wildcar 31THSB Toy Hauler from the states so that we can put 2 x quad bikes in the back.

The rain held off while we there and we left at 2 pm for the long drive back which only took 6 hrs.

Anyway as i said i looked at Calder leisure, SST,Niche Marketing, 5th Wheel company

And i am still as confused as every Rep from each of the companies, APART from calderleisure slated all the other companies. They all said that there production were the best. and the others are illegal! its either weight,length,width, etc etc etc

We are just about to spend 50 grand and if i dont get it right, and i quite like my testicles where god put them and not where debbie would want to put them if i get it wrong, so any help would be great many thanks

Wildcat 31 TSB Toy Hauler dry weight 8525 lbs 3866 kgs
gvr weight 11515 lbs 5234 kgs
cargo cap 2590 lbs
hitch weight 1355 lbs
ext length 33'
ext width 8'

we would prob get a Dodge 2500 Ram with tow pack to tow?
What Licence do you need to drive this unit and pick up?
Does the unit have to have air or electric brakes
does unit have to have a separate Parking break

Please Help :cry: Many Thanks

derekfaeberwick

Free Member
Dec 1, 2007
Berwick
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
9 Years
I was spending 50g I'd be looking for professional advice, not someones opinion.:Eeek:

Have you already made your mind up?

OP
OP
Ant&Debs

Ant&Debs

Free Member
Jun 24, 2009
Alvorge,Portugal
Funster No
MH
Rockwood Fiver
Exp
2 years long time ago
Hi

Not yet but geting close to the time we need to. lolololol we have asked a few for expect advice and yet still get conflicting reports,:cry:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

robrobc

Free Member
Oct 16, 2008
Cotswolds
Funster No
MH
None Now
Exp
5+
Hi

Not yet but geting close to the time we need to. lolololol we have asked a few for expect advice and yet still get conflicting reports,:cry:

Hi, conflicting advice, not really a surprise. had the same issue myself, so lets deal with the issues one by one.

1. What licence is needed.........5234 kgs plus 3500 kgs (re-plated 2500 Pick up) equals 8734 kgs. This will need more than a "standard" car licence .

2. Max width. Referring to this web site then
Link Removed
As your tow vehicle is 3500Kgs GVWR then you can tow legally up to 2.55metres.

3. Braking is going to be the standard ones fitted to the 5'er and these will be electrically actuated via the brake controller in the pick up.

4. Parking brake.......yes you have to have one fitted. You may never use it (I have yet to have a need to use mine) but I got one fitted to remain legal.

I hope that helps

Ask away if you need more clarification.

HTH

Rob

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
Old-mo on here is selling his 5th wheel including truck on ebay and its nearly new. Might well be worth a PM to him.

Can advise you if nothing else.

Link Removed

Last edited:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Please Help :cry: Many Thanks

To be unhelpful...... I've seen the opinion, more than once, "it takes three goes to get it right".

And of course it can never be right, there's always "if only.......".

With that kind of investment should you go to the States and hire a few first ?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi , its possible to drive on car license if the tow unit is very light . my mitzy couldnt do it as it weighs just under 3000kg. but my vwlt50 only weighs 2.000kg its train weght is 7.500kg so on paper it will do it legaly (but slowly).you are asking alot my mitzy could do it but there is a risk of over loading for a car licence.(8.2500)do you have artic licence i have so if i ,m driving it doesnt matter if i go over as its train could be 9.8. think i would look for a lighter trailer. also a living van over 3.500kg needs mot worth thinking about. go lighter save a few shilling.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back