Oh dear, please help me to help my daughter's MH purchase (1 Viewer)

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Hello all

Of all the MH owning people my daughter could turn to I am by far the least able to help

They wanted a MH, they also wanted to do it themselves and have gone and done so

The seller must have thought he had really dropped lucky, sold 'off' ebay he said with everything working ready to go and no damp

well lets just say he lies :(

One side if full of damp, serious levels, my moisture meter only goes up to 50% then flashes if above, virtually whole offside is over 50% :(:(:(

But staying positive, it could have been like that for years and they genuinely didn't know

So lets try and get it working so that can at least use it

The hob has a flame thrower impression beside the knobs :( condemned that till properly checked / tested / mended / changed

didn't even bother with oven on same basis

traumatic heater looks beyond any hope and I just hope an be swapped for a brand new equivalent for efficiency and safety sake

so to the bits I would like help with for now

water pump makes noise but nothing comes out, as I don't 'do' anything like this what are the options, like for like change would seem simplest, but I guess any in line 12V pump would do with some slight pipe changes if needed?

habitation battery is fitted on some kind of telescopic frame, it looks like the nut on the outside should simply turn to lower, but it doesn't seem to want to move

43808CD5-AE46-47F6-A6AF-2832B7536B25.jpeg

8FDBBF34-5821-4447-8F3B-D1ADF53E9C1A.jpeg

71BF74FD-BB6E-4351-A464-D1DD6B3BC5B6.jpeg

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
Even if a private seller, if they expressly lied the buyer beware does not count, so take it back and return it for a refund. How did they pay, if by CC card get them on side etc ?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Even if a private seller, if they expressly lied the buyer beware does not count, so take it back and return it for a refund. How did they pay, if by CC card get them on side etc ?

no to credit card, folding money, daughter doesn't seem keen to even try asking for money back

not really sure why, she hates confrontation, but leave it to me, its right up my street looking after my girls :)

they haven't even got it cheap, paid £6K :(

feel so sorry for them, have made the same kind of mistakes myself about their time of life, just when you really cant afford it o_O

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
So he has clearly done this before. I despair of people with no experience just going and buying something with no advice from someone who knows something!

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
If no luck with seller and you have to sort it I suggest the battery cradle looks to be on a scissor movement with rotation of the dome nut at the front to lower but first removing the lock bolt through the plate , if that’s the case it would be a long threaded rod which has probably rusted so will need lubrication.

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
If no luck with seller and you have to sort it I suggest the battery cradle looks to be on a scissor movement with rotation of the dome nut at the front to lower but first removing the lock bolt through the plate , if that’s the case it would be a long threaded rod which has probably rusted so will need lubrication.

thanks Larry, there is an 'extra' bolt that makes sense now that it is a lock (y)

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Be sure there is water in tank and by slackening a hose clip that it has reached the pump, and any inline filter not blocked.

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
So he has clearly done this before. I despair of people with no experience just going and buying something with no advice from someone who knows something!

not sure if you despair of the seller, or my daughter and son in law as buyers

if the latter, we were none of us born perfect, I have certainly made similar mistakes

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
David, if motorhome has valid MOT and other documents are correct and it runs ok with half decent tyres etc then £6k is not the end of the world.
If the damp is in the complete side up to the ceiling then worth checking all roof seams for cracked sealant . Hopefully damp and not rot.
It’s a project but with a few pounds spent could result in a useable first motorhome for your daughter.

Feb 16, 2017
Southampton
Funster No
MH
AT tracker 2002
Exp
On n off fer years
If its roadworthy and running OK maybe the van has just been parked up unused in the open or have a leak causing the damp. The heater and hob can be sourced from a caravan breakers and maybe the water pump feed is blocked up. DIY learning curve for your daughter and SIL . That leisure battery position is plain daft possible to move inside the van somewhere?

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I am fasinated by this, what is the handle connected to? And is it in the closed or open position?

View attachment 236445

It is as suggested a drain valve for the cold water tank

I think the one way valve is actually just a hose connector suggesting the pump may well not be the original

Filter just removed and all looks good, water runs freely from disconnected feed pipe

Just putting all back together to try again

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
David, if motorhome has valid MOT and other documents are correct and it runs ok with half decent tyres etc then £6k is not the end of the world.
If the damp is in the complete side up to the ceiling then worth checking all roof seams for cracked sealant . Hopefully damp and not rot.
It’s a project but with a few pounds spent could result in a useable first motorhome for your daughter.

Will give daughter another hug and pass that on

They did want a project but maybe let their hearts get in the way

Been there still wear the t shirt :)

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
If you have that level of damp in the walls the chances are the timbers will have started to rot. Most of the wood used in construction was not treated so when it gets wet it starts to rot. They also used to put insulation inside the walls which soaks up water. The longer it is left the worse it gets. IMHO you would be better working out where the damp is coming from before you start spending money putting the rest of it right. Try and remove some of the panels and have a look what’s behind them. Also worth considering is using SH parts. There are a number of Breakers who will have parts as most parts are used on more than one make of MH / Caravan. They could of course try selling it but they will be lucky if they get anything like they paid for it.

I would also point your daughter in the general direction of eBay where they tell you the consequences of buying “ Off EBay “.

Perhaps you should give her a list of parts required and a few numbers to phone.

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
not sure if you despair of the seller, or my daughter and son in law as buyers

if the latter, we were none of us born perfect, I have certainly made similar mistakes
Of course, however having a dad who must know something about them and has access to this fount of knowledge on Fun, makes me wonder why your opinion/advice would be ignored.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Damp is far from the of the world..
2 years ago youngest daughter bought a 1980's Laika a class.
The whole rear wall was sodden.
Son in law ( whose idea of DIY is cover it up with paint normally ! ) took it apart, removed all the manky wood, replaced the insulation ( bought from Wickes ! ) reboarded it and wall papered it.
Including the window removal, the resealing of everything and the rebuild, the whole thing was done in one rather full weekend for less than £60

I reckon that for less than another £400 and a bit of elbow grease they have got a good 'un...

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Water pump get a sure flow used them for years very reliability
The damp photos of roof trim would help photos of window seals would help damp only comes from leaking roof lights the most likely culpret
Or the trim that seals the edge of the roof .
Being a old van owner all the thing youhav mention
I have at sum time came across them
Bill

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Jus to Ade to my previous post look at what dose work the pick off the things that don't work one one at a time
Til their all working as for using it camping cooker and coals box
Soumwhar to sleep soumware to poo
Get out make the best of what that have
Bill

Feb 16, 2017
Southampton
Funster No
MH
AT tracker 2002
Exp
On n off fer years
Got to love an old van, tinkering,repairing or just plain bodging .its better than watching daytime tv brilliant hobby!

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
they bought it having seen it on ebay, but bypassed them at the request of the seller o_O

he even saved fees and potential comeback I reckon :(

eBay wouldn’t get involved when it comes to motors generally.

As said above if the owner knew about faults, not talking a lamp or similar, they are responsible and a refund can be demanded.
The law is on the buyers side.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back