Oh Dear, I'm at it again another moan about my van. (1 Viewer)

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
I went around to put a new convertor lead that came today, into the garage, opened the door and found that the rain over the last couple of days had ingressed and soaked the floor along with all the stuff on it. The gutter that I put along the top does not it seems work and the water still get in through the seals, The clamps do not pull it tight and the door does not squeeze the rubber seal. I will have to do somthing about this as it is now not a occasional happening but every time it pours the water gets in, especially if the van is dead level.
I do not want to go all the way to Yorkshire but it look like It might have to. Getting fed up with it now water seems to gather in my pocket. Any ideas as to why the seals do not really SEAL?

Attachments

• DSCF2628.JPG
    DSCF2628.JPG
    103.1 KB · Views: 432
  • DSCF2620.JPG
    DSCF2620.JPG
    269.4 KB · Views: 421
  • DSCF2626.JPG
    DSCF2626.JPG
    245.5 KB · Views: 419

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
That’s really poor.

Is it a Hymer?

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
Sorry,can’t help you on that one. But I’m sure someone will be along soon to offer advice. Sounds like the seals aren’t sealing properly.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Gutter above the garage door is a bodge job and no fix at all

Can you adjust the keepers on the inside of the door, (the bits of metal that the catches lock onto).

The door may need to be taken off and re-hung.

How do the seals look? Do they look damaged?

Can you sit in the garage with the door locked and get someone from outside to pour a watering can over the top section to simulate rainfall, that way you will see exactly where it is coming in.

Jun 18, 2008
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since June 2008
Do you have a bright lamp you can put in the garage? With the door closed you should be able to see light leaks which will indicate where water can enter.

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
I went around to put a new convertor lead that came today, into the garage, opened the door and found that the rain over the last couple of days had ingressed and soaked the floor along with all the stuff on it. The gutter that I put along the top does not it seems work and the water still get in through the seals, The clamps do not pull it tight and the door does not squeeze the rubber seal. I will have to do somthing about this as it is now not a occasional happening but every time it pours the water gets in, especially if the van is dead level.
I do not want to go all the way to Yorkshire but it look like It might have to. Getting fed up with it now water seems to gather in my pocket. Any ideas as to why the seals do not really SEAL?
On my seals they have cut outs on both inner/outer seal to allow water to drain out at the bottom (the seals are hollow not a solid piece of rubber) apparently this is part of the design check to see if these are blocked
The seals are easy to pull out of the groves on the door, and the same to put back on, or at least they are on mine which is Burnster and looks identical to your own door and as you know there part of the same company

OP
OP
GWAYGWAY

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Gutter above the garage door is a bodge job and no fix at all

Can you adjust the keepers on the inside of the door, (the bits of metal that the catches lock onto).

The door may need to be taken off and re-hung.

How do the seals look? Do they look damaged?

Can you sit in the garage with the door locked and get someone from outside to pour a watering can over the top section to simulate rainfall, that way you will see exactly where it is coming in.
The catches ar not adjustable, you can just bend the arm a bit and then they do not close, there is just one seal and no room for anything else, I put the gutter up and it does cut it a bit but when it is heavy it overcomes the edge and in it comes. Inside I found the a hose causes the water to come in all along the top edge and down the side as well on both sides of the van. Design Fault????
People say get something else, but I paid an awfully large sum for this van, and there is not much left except for the actual use of it to go places. So if it goes that is it. It is still under warranty but I have a good mind the forget Lowdhams as they are 300 miles away and go to the factory itself and demand a satisfactory resolution, however they are also a long way plus a tunnel fare. My satellite dish and equipment along with all the other stuff on the floor are soaked. I really expected a lot more from Hymer and so called quality vehicles.
The other problem was fixed with sealant and screws when the water dam was removed from the roof after water soaked my dropdown bed area and the passenger footwell had standing water up to the ridge level then it went out. the door. How much is this model now????? Basic £83000 plus the extras. I only got this one because it was a Mercedes with the 7G gearbox, wasn't available in other makes of Van.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I know people that have taken N+B vans back to the factory because the UK dealer couldn't sort stuff, the factory have offered to pay costs. So yes I would send your photos to the factory telling them that the UK dealer has failed to fit it and you want them to sort it out.

I take it that the seal is on the door not the frame, it seems to be the modern way, can you take the seal out of the bottom of the door so the water can run straight through rather than getting pushed inside.

Martin

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
we have a Hymer, no leaks as such, although we did get similar water levels in ours due to split in filler hose to water tank, but if yours happen while parked that cant be your issue

We have quite a few issues closing our garage doors, so much so that we often set off and get a door open alert, always one of the garage doors needing a good slam

but thinking that through is it because they seal well that they need slamming, suggesting yours might need adjusting maybe

hopefully something simple, albeit very annoying, you shouldn't have to fit duck boards in a Hymer garage o_O

OP
OP
GWAYGWAY

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
we have a Hymer, no leaks as such, although we did get similar water levels in ours due to split in filler hose to water tank, but if yours happen while parked that cant be your issue

We have quite a few issues closing our garage doors, so much so that we often set off and get a door open alert, always one of the garage doors needing a good slam

but thinking that through is it because they seal well that they need slamming, suggesting yours might need adjusting maybe

hopefully something simple, albeit very annoying, you shouldn't have to fit duck boards in a Hymer garage o_O
Duckboards might work, I cannot use the rubber mat as that hold the water all over the whole surface. At least it is a glass fibre floor and not going to rot out like wood.

Feb 4, 2016
West Sussex, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B680 Starline
Exp
Long term a few years now.
I live in a hymer and cant praise it enough but it is an older one .
Really hope you get your van sorted @GWAYGWAY I dont think i would be buying a newer one .
My garage door i push closed and there is a two stage click click .
Out of all of the things that have gone thrupennys up lately my van has been fine , touch wood .
Wood everywhere in here but safer to touch my head im mr blockhead (y)

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
It will be no consolation to you but I have a Hymer with the same type of door and my garage is as dry as a bone. The seals on mine seem to protrude out a bit more than yours. Maybe they put the wrong seals on?

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
Have you contacted Lowdhams about the issue? Before setting off to the factory I think you need to ask the dealer to rectify the problem first.

In the meantime I'd be wary of trying to fix it yourself with guttering as it might invalidate the warranty. Can you take the gutter off?

Can you photograph the catches? Someone here may know how to adjust the mechanism.

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Got to say that this is a no s**t Sherlock post. o_O
Can never understand why people do this.
It helps to bump the OP if not getting many replies. I have just done it to a newbies post asking about a van I have no knowledge of, just to keep the post current. No reply just leaves a person hanging.

MillieMoocher

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kingham
Exp
40 years under canvas: Motorhome 2016 To 2020
Hi Graham. Sorry to hear of your leak. I also have a garage leak in Millie mk 2. I suspected the problem was down to the door seals and that your guttering remedy would be the way forward.

Took the MH back to Travelworld and pointed out the apparent poor door sealing but learned that the problem was nothing to do with them. Instead the leak was coming from the side/roof joint and due to the PUAL constriction, water was channelling down inside the wall and coming out in the garage.

The gap in the sealant is suspected to be that the sealant gun “spluttered” at the factory when the sealant was being put in.

The picture below hopefully explains things a bit better.

The fix is a big job, 18 hours labour plus 10 days while sealant dries etc etc so MH is currently with them for the warranty repair.

So perhaps the time has come to get the dealer involved? Not sure how the Hymer warranty works, but could you go back to a more local dealer for assessment? Maybe even Travelworld?

Good luck whichever route forward you take.

ED352BDC-651E-4C3F-AC56-073124578BAD.jpeg

Sep 28, 2015
Kingston upon Hull, East Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
2001 Caravans 2011 Motorhomes
The water in our rear locker turned out be from the cycle rack mounting points on the rear panel leaking. It came inside, down the back wall (wardrobe in our case) and gathered in the locker below, unable to go anywhere else as it's basically a plastic box. Lowdhams replaced the door and seals twice to no avail.
The good news is that because of the construction materials used nothing was damaged.

Jan 31, 2016
Alness, Cromarty Firth
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 (2012)
Exp
Just a thought, as I'm a joiner and fit doors etc, when the door shuts is it actually flush with the outside wall/frame.

It could be the hinges are not set in enough, if you remove the screws on the hinges can you move them (the screws) in a bit say a few millimetre ? this would pull the door into the frame making the seal tighter. If you can't move the screws due to the original screw holes then you'll have to drill new holes about 5mm away. I know this sounds a bodge but it may help. Hope this makes sense.

Jenben

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Uk
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I
Exp
Since 2007
I'm not sure if the Hymer Mlis have the same GRP garage floor system and water tank design as the Exsis? However, on the Exsis there is a common problem with the water tank inspection hatch leaking when the tank is full. This then drains straight into the garage area when the van is parked on a slope. Several people on the forum have had this problem which looks just like a leaking door seal.

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
I'm not sure if the Hyner Mlis have the same GRP garage floor system and water tank design as the Exsis? However, on the Exsis there is a common problem with the water tank inspection hatch leaking when the tank is full. This then drains straight into the garage area when the van is parked on a slope. Several people on the forum have had this problem which looks just like a leaking door seal.
We have the same problem with the hatch on our B678. But with ours the water drains down into the basement box the tank is sitting in and out through a drain hole.

Jenben

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Uk
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I
Exp
Since 2007
We have the same problem with the hatch on our B678. But with ours the water drains down into the basement box the tank is sitting in and out through a drain hole.
Yep, unfortunately on the Exsis and the Ml the water tank sits in a tray which is actually part of the garage floor so any water spilt can end up inside.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
I have lost track of the unfortunate leakage problem with @GWAYGWAY Hymer but for me I would expect warranty to sort the problem as I understand it is still within that period. The more it's fiddled with the less chance of this happening and there must come a time where the bullet is bitten and the mohome is left with the not so good dealer until it's sorted.

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Still learning since 2010
I have the same problem on our Autotrail, so it is not confined to any specific make by the look of it.
As the water only seems to gather at the base of the door in the garage, and only at one side of the MH, then I am inclined to think it is the door seals not doing their job.
The factory fitted reversing camera was removed once as it stopped working, and I suspected that it wasn't sealed back in properly and water was tracking down from it.
This has been looked at but the water is still making an appearance.
I have to say that it is intermittent and that is why it is so difficult to trace.
Luckily it isn't a flood, just a damp to wet floor area.

PS. The door seals have been changed under warranty

Last edited:

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
As I have said before our last van was an Exsis which is basically the same van as yours on a Fiat chassis. We had a silght leak on the garage door facing the prevailing weather when parked on our drive, a new door seal fitted cured the problem. Instead of keep messing about why don't you take it to a dealer and get a new door seal fitted.

No consultation to you, on the new models Hymer have totaly changed the door seal and it has a double seal all around the door.

The water tank cap leaking into the well in garage that has been mentioned, we had it happen a couple of times but only if the tank is overfilled and the cap is not fully tightened it needs to be really tight.

You also mentioned on another thread you might have a problem with the floor, why don't you book it into Bad Waldsee and pop down there and get them to sort it. Although the service centre is a separate company to Hymer itself they probably have more experience on Hymers than anyone else and they can call on the help of the factory if needed.

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
It will be no consolation to you but I have a Hymer with the same type of door and my garage is as dry as a bone. The seals on mine seem to protrude out a bit more than yours. Maybe they put the wrong seals on?

As I was reading down the same thought entered my mind.

We have a N+B and our garage door requires a push with a knee to even get the catches to close, due to the need to compress the seal.

How tight does yous feel when closing the catches?

Even if the seal is hthe correct one have you thought of fitting a thicker seal - would be cheaper than a drive to Lowdhams.

Geoff

Mr B

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 1, 2015
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065ff Design Edit
Exp
Since 2015.......
We’ve been looking at a few twin bed/garage hymer Motorhomes, but reading this, I think we’ll keep what we’ve got :);)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back