Free Member
Apr 28, 2011
essex
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
three years
Tried to tax the MH online last nioght, the system would'nt have it, I supposed it was because the V5 was not with me yet, it was sent off by the dealer.
decided to tax it at the local PO this morning with the "green slip", I handed all the paperwork over to Mr PO man, he went throught he motions, then with a slightly sneery smile i thought, and certainly with a sort of nasal tone (bit like Liam Gallagher workinh in a PO really), said "sorry sir, but i cant issue a tax disc for this vehicle, it is an HGV and i can't do HGV,s"
Once i,d looked at where his bony little finger was pointing, to the bit saying "3850kgs"...I gave up, collected all my paperwork and went home.
I finally managed to get through to DVLA, and the upshot is i have to visit the local office in the morning to get a tax disc, after that, it should all be plain sailing. I did give my insurers a ring though, just to make sure THEY had it down as a "3850kg HGV":RollEyes:..they said they did, so no problems. Ive now got to check wifeys license, to see if she can drive it, should i ever feel the need to be scared witless:Eeek::ROFLMAO:

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
surely it should be a PHGV as in private heavy goods vehicle, i would carefully check all your paperwork to make sure it is right otherwise you will both need to have passed the 'yorkie bar' test.
PHGV is a cheaper taxation class the other class it could come under is PLG which as we all know is getting dearer by the year

OP
OP
darklord

darklord

Free Member
Apr 28, 2011
essex
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
three years
yeah, sorry, i did,nt clarify it IS PHGV........£165 for 12 months i was told.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
darklord

darklord

Free Member
Apr 28, 2011
essex
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
three years
Visited local DVLA today, VERY nice young lady:Blush:, did the deal for me, so now we are all legal.

arrived home to find an NIP waiting for me for 35 in a 30 in Northampton a month ago:Doh:, got to do the paperwork and get on the Speed Awareness Course hopefully........still, driving for a living, sods law i get one sooner or later.

Wifey is still taking the mick:Angry::Angry:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
the post office is authorised to issue PHGV discs so i reckon the post office employee didn't know his stuff :Doh:

they want your support to remain financially viable but aren't willing to offer any help.

i always used the same local P/O but when i sold the kontiki they wouldn't re-tax it, even though they issued the expired disc, so I went to the next P/O who did :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Visited local DVLA today, VERY nice young lady:Blush:, did the deal for me, so now we are all legal.

arrived home to find an NIP waiting for me for 35 in a 30 in Northampton a month ago:Doh:, got to do the paperwork and get on the Speed Awareness Course hopefully........still, driving for a living, sods law i get one sooner or later.

Wifey is still taking the mick:Angry::Angry:
providing Northampton constabulary do the S/A course you should be eligible at 35mph in a 30mph zone.

for some reason 35mph is the only speed they allow for the course.

i opted to do one in 2001 :Blush:

two or three hours classroom with video's and verbal and written questions, then an hour or so practical driving which is very close to advanced motorist standards....hazard perception, correct road positioning and a rolling commentary to your examiner :Eeek:

if they think you aren't paying enough attention, they'll cancel the rest of your course and still give you points and a fine.

good luck and i hope you qualify then you don't need to inform your insurers.

providing your wife took her test pre 1997 she is qualified to drive it....after '97 she isn't, unless she's also taken, and passed, the C1 test.

OP
OP
darklord

darklord

Free Member
Apr 28, 2011
essex
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
three years
Hopefully i,ll get on it. What i can't make out, is that they see courses like this as a good way of improving driving, yet never apply them mainstream, say every five years. HGV drivers now have to do 7hrs training (documented by DVLA) every year for five years or lose their license, would it not be prudent to have continual retraining part of the normal driving license?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back