Offering out a motorhome parking spot in my drive with stunning sea view and looking for advice! (1 Viewer)

Aberystwyth_V

Free Member
Jan 17, 2022
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Hello, thank you for letting me join,I hope I'm in the right place to seek some advice from motorhome owners.
At my home in Aberystwyth West Wales I have a large private driveway with an absolutely stunning sea view and private access to a furnished sun terrace so it is my idea to offer this out to campervans for short stays at a low nightly rate. It is an absolutely amazing peaceful spot and people can't get over the sea view and they visit so I know people would be keen to stay on my drive I just don't know about the legalities and technicalities of it and how I would go about advertising, has anyone ever done this please?
Many thanks for your help, Louise 🙂

OP
OP
A

Aberystwyth_V

Free Member
Jan 17, 2022
Funster No
MH
Just looking
There are two routes to go

1/ check out CAMpRA website (https://campra.org.uk/forum/index.php) and forum they can help you a lot

2/ there is a park for the night on my drive style site that I came across a while back

You have to think also how to collect the payments and how many vans you could accommodate
Thanks so much for your help! Would only be for 1 van occasionally for a few nights. The bonus is the exclusive private access to sun terrace with sea view.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
A

Aberystwyth_V

Free Member
Jan 17, 2022
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Thanks for the welcome! Here it is, we can see the sunset over sea all year round! 🙂

Attachments

• IMG_20210824_202131_804.jpg
    IMG_20210824_202131_804.jpg
    332 KB · Views: 204
Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
w2f
Sounds like a great idea.
You could just list it yourself on say searchforsites, this is a website many use to find parkups.
Done in a small way, say one unit at a time, I don't think there are too many legalities, although others may think of some, it might depend on how many units you were to accommodate.
Any queries from busy bodies and they are just your guests
Neighbours may have a different take on it.
Your listing on sfs could state the fee and pre-booking by phone essential, payment on arrival.
You would need to decide about any services you could offer, waste bins, fresh water, grey / black water disposal. If you can't offer them just state this although the more you can offer the more you can charge.
I suppose there is a risk of alerting the attention LA who would probably find something to object to

AndyPK

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 7, 2015
Cirencester
Funster No
MH
None……..!
Exp
Motorhoming since 2015......
Welcome from Ciren!(y)

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
Oh, and the view is gorgeous!

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Looks a lovely view.
Folk would find it handy/desirable if there was a fresh water tap and maybe a drain cover that could be lifted to dispose of grey and black (loo) water.

Clipgate

Free Member
Jan 1, 2014
Folkestone
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I investigated doing a similar thing here in Ceredigion, then the sword of reality struck.
Insurance is my advice consider well not all are like you.
I have and will allow the odd friend to use my paddock, in full knowledge and confidence that they will not abuse, quite the opposite they help me greatly.
I have run many businesses and managed others, and that is what they were and are a business, adequate insurance robust views and policies in place to eject those who abuse or are poor business choices.
We each have choices to make, good luck with yours, please make sure you have insurance in place and enjoy your views possibly share also.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
A very good and noble idea, but sadly the second you make a charge for such a facility, you fall foul of the law. The caravan sites and control act 1950? would bean you need a licence or an exemption certificate and full insurance etc. It's a big can of worms if not very careful

Reactions: GJH

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I just don't know about the legalities and technicalities of it
A very good and noble idea, but sadly the second you make a charge for such a facility, you fall foul of the law. The caravan sites and control act 1950? would bean you need a licence or an exemption certificate and full insurance etc. It's a big can of worms if not very careful
That's correct. You need a licence/planning consent or exemption as explained Here. It is unlikely that you would qualify for a licence or that most exempt organisations would grant a certificate so the only exemption which is likely to apply is that in Para 2, which means you would be severely restricted in what you could offer.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Would the Fun exemption and insurance cover this for up to 30 days per year? Ie a one van rally?
it's a quick way to lose an exemption, if the local authority check it

Reactions: GJH

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Would the Fun exemption and insurance cover this for up to 30 days per year? Ie a one van rally?
it's a quick way to lose an exemption, if the local authority check it
I think Natural England would probably see it as taking the wee wee :)
Given that the Para 2 exemption allows up to 28 days in a 12 month period it would hardly be worth the risk for an extra 2 days.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I am the sites officer for another club, and they are really hot on exemptions certificates at the moment. Getting harder to arrange rallies even for the 2 biggest clubs in the UK with limitations on what can be defined as a rally field. We apply and can be rejected at any stage by the local authorities and Natural England. Asking for a 1 van rally on a domestic driveway would never be accepted

Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
Insurance could be an issue. One conversation I had with c&cc about two high value vehicles at one address while one was for sale just as a temporary thing. One was less than £10k. I couldn't believe it, so after 10 years I changed insurers. So payment may be even more of an issue. Anyway, could you consider not charging a fixed rate, but suggesting that if they want to leave what they think it's worth, you may do well!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back