Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
We are loading for a trip through the tunnel later on, Stay in Calais the off in the morning to Luxembourg, Trier up the Mosel the down the Rhine to Constance, then back up through France.
I have just checked the tyres and they DO NOT have the snowflakes on. Am I going to run into problems in Germany with winter tyre rules??????? It was meant to be an all weather Hymer and I thought that meant all weather tyres not plain Vancos. If it is meant to go up mountains.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Have a good trip.
You will only have a problem in Germany if you are involved in an accident cause a traffic delay due to incorrect tyres, traffic delay €60 fine, accident €80 fine.
The reason they often don't fit winter rated tyres is because Germany like a lot of other European countries the owners have another set of wheels with winter tyres that they change over to in the autum.
Hymers with 15" wheels come with Conti CP tyres, Hymers with 16" wheel come with Michelin CP tyres which are M&S rated.

From Jan 1st 2018 M&S tyres are no longer legal in countries that require winter tyres they must be Alpine rated, however Germany has said M&S tyres made before this date can be used up until 30th Sep. 2024.

OP
OP
GWAYGWAY

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
I hope I do not see snow YET, it might go pear shaped but I will be driving on main road so I should be OK.. Hopefully this time I get passed ARRAS.
However my MLI is fitted with Continental Vancos on 16 inch Alloy wheels . Never could fit chains to those if bad snow was met.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
I hope I do not see snow YET, it might go pear shaped but I will be driving on main road so I should be OK.. Hopefully this time I get passed ARRAS.
However my MLI is fitted with Continental Vancos on 16 inch Alloy wheels . Never could fit chains to those if bad snow was met.
Look on the bright side, it can't be worse than last time.:rolleyes:
I've not seen any new Hymers on 16" with Contis.
If it does start snowing in Germany it gets interesting due to the Green party having quite a few seats they don't salt the roads as the salt kills trees. :(

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
From Jan 1st 2018 M&S tyres are no longer legal in countries that require winter tyres they must be Alpine rated, however Germany has said M&S tyres made before this date can be used up until 30th Sep. 2024.
@Lenny HB. I bow to your superior knowledge but can't find anything that says that M&S rated tyres can't be used in Europe after Jan 2018.
As I need new tyres I am obviously interested in making sure that I'm 'future proof' but searching on t'interweb brings up nothing.
Confused.com!

Richard.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
@Lenny HB. I bow to your superior knowledge but can't find anything that says that M&S rated tyres can't be used in Europe after Jan 2018.
As I need new tyres I am obviously interested in making sure that I'm 'future proof' but searching on t'interweb brings up nothing.
Confused.com!

Richard.
upload_2017-10-31_14-40-37.png

And here is a link to Continental's info, which says the same.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jazzledog

Free Member
May 1, 2016
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Hymer B588PL
Exp
Have a good trip.
You will only have a problem in Germany if you are involved in an accident cause a traffic delay due to incorrect tyres, traffic delay €60 fine, accident €80 fine.
The reason they often don't fit winter rated tyres is because Germany like a lot of other European countries the owners have another set of wheels with winter tyres that they change over to in the autum.
Hymers with 15" wheels come with Conti CP tyres, Hymers with 16" wheel come with Michelin CP tyres which are M&S rated.

Thank you Lenny HB for an extremely informative post! I immediately went out to check and our 2016 B588 on 16inch wheels have the tyres as you describe. Our trip to the Xmas markets in early December may include one or two German ones....

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Must be a relatively new change. Our 2015 Hymer B678 on 16" wheels came with Continental CP tyres thank goodness.
Probably changes each time Fiat do a new contract with the tyre manufacturers when we bought the last van in 2014, 15" wheels had Conti & 16" Michelin and the same this year. Could be that yours and Grahams are on RHD chassis, and Hymer only build a couple of batches a year of RHD.

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back