Deceased RIP
Sep 4, 2007
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
We are off on our first outing of the year on Friday. We are staying at the Three Magpies Public House, Sells Green, Seend, Melksham, near Devizes,Wiltshire.
A pub with its own campsite was an obvious attraction. ::bigsmile: Costing us £9.50 per night including ehu. If any other Funsters are there please come on over and say hello,:thumb: we have MotorhomeFun stickers fore and aft so we should be recognisable. ::bigsmile: Wherever you may be going, have a great weekend.:thumb:

Brisey (Brian & Pam)

Yetties

Free Member
Nov 19, 2007
Radstock Nr Bath
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel
Exp
Have a great time

Have a great time its a lovely area and you will be well placed to explore if thats what you like to do.
Sorry cant tell you anything about the site as we only live about 20 miles away
Neil

errpaul

Free Member
Feb 27, 2009
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
11 yrs
Are you actually staying at the pub or at the Camping and caravan club next to it?
The pub site is literally behind the pub through the car park and will take you literally seconds from bar to van!!:thumb::thumb:

There is the kennet and avon canal within a few minutes walk and there you've got another good couple of pubs (our local is one of them), plus walking, cycling, fishing (with day permit).

The three magpies is a great pub, with very friendly staff.

If you wanna know any more about the area (other good pubs or anything) let us know as we are walking distance from the three magpies.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Brisey

Brisey

Deceased RIP
Sep 4, 2007
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
Hi errpaul

We are staying at the pub site, we are not C&CC members and to stay on their site would have cost us almost double the price.:whatthe:
literally seconds from bar to van!! sounds good to me.:winky:::bigsmile: I believe that the pub also has a rally field, so it might be a good location for a MHFun meet in the future.:thumb: We will no doubt have a walk along the canal in both directions from the pub, we want to have a look at Caen Hill Locks.:Cool:
If you are about, come over and say hello.:thumb:

errpaul

Free Member
Feb 27, 2009
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
11 yrs
Yeah, I reckon it could be a good place for a rally, but you'll probably be better to say once you've been.
What days are you there from and until?
The caen hill locks are a sight....I would definately not want to have to negociate them in a barge (hard enough on a bike when cycling to work)...takes a whole day apparently!

OP
OP
Brisey

Brisey

Deceased RIP
Sep 4, 2007
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
We will be there from late Friday afternoon until Sunday afternoon. The Avon Group of the Motor Caravanners Club are holding a rally there in early May I think. I am not too sure if electric hook ups are available on the rally field. Will post a campsite review when we return.:thumb:

Last edited:

errpaul

Free Member
Feb 27, 2009
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
11 yrs
We will be going somewhere (not sure where yet, will probably just look up a CC CL with fishing, which our son loves) this weekend. Not sure when we'll be back, but we'll pop by and say Hi if we can.
We've only had our van 2 weeks, and it's our 1st one so been away every chance we've had, (the 1st weekend we got it and an extended weekend the one just gone. Straight from site to work!)
Maybe see you on the weekend though. Have a great time

errpaul

Free Member
Feb 27, 2009
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
11 yrs
:thumb:Thanks Brisey. You too :thumb:

Mark breen

Free Member
Oct 27, 2007
Funster No
We are off on our first outing of the year on Friday. We are staying at the Three Magpies Public House, Sells Green, Seend, Melksham, near Devizes,Wiltshire.
A pub with its own campsite was an obvious attraction. ::bigsmile: Costing us £9.50 per night including ehu. If any other Funsters are there please come on over and say hello,:thumb: we have MotorhomeFun stickers fore and aft so we should be recognisable. ::bigsmile: Wherever you may be going, have a great weekend.:thumb:

Brisey (Brian & Pam)

Hi P&B. We have been before . The pubs ok foods ok camping ok. Landlord ????????
We tried to book for Mothering weekend and he told me he had a RV in that week and it took up to much room.
What ,ollocks.
The c&c site next door is one of the best.
We parked the one afternoon no charge, and stopped there twice lovely people great site.
The Barge inn takes some beating for a pub meal really great food.
Have Fun and try the barge inn if you can get a booking.
"The Breens"
:thumb:

Feb 3, 2008
Highworth
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 85
Hi errpaul

We are staying at the pub site, we are not C&CC members and to stay on their site would have cost us almost double the price.:whatthe:
literally seconds from bar to van!! sounds good to me.:winky:::bigsmile: I believe that the pub also has a rally field, so it might be a good location for a MHFun meet in the future.:thumb: We will no doubt have a walk along the canal in both directions from the pub, we want to have a look at Caen Hill Locks.:Cool:
If you are about, come over and say hello.:thumb:

Hi we are not far away might come over to put a face to the name.On the site been there a couple of times try the pub for meals brilliant food at a great price
cheers
Pete:thumb:

OP
OP
Brisey

Brisey

Deceased RIP
Sep 4, 2007
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
We had a great weekend at the Three Magpies, pity we had to come home we would have liked to have stayed longer. The staff at the pub were very friendly and welcoming. The pub itself serves excelent food and ale, a few pints of Bishops Tipple will ensure you have a good nights sleep. It does get very busy in the evening so it is well worth booking a table in advance. On Saturday we had nice walks along the canal to Caen Hill locks in the morning and to the Barge public house in the afternoon. On Sunday morning we walked up the hill to the pretty village of Seend. The view across the Wiltshire countryside from the Bell Inn was well worth the effort. On Saturday evening another Funster paid us a visit, namely Sherpa who was pitched up on the nearby C&CC site. We can thoroughly recommend the site and will return for another visit whenever we can. I will post a campsite review in the next day or so.

Sherpa

Free Member
Aug 7, 2008
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
25yrs with breaks
The Wharf Devizes

Brisey

Following our short conversation on Saturday evening, I thought you may like to know there is a Motorhome friendly car park in the centre of Devizes should you be in that area again.

Car park is known as the Wharf, its down by the canal and a three to five minute walk into town.

Have stuck a very short video of it on here

Link Removed

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back