Off to Spain, departing Portsmouth (1 Viewer)

Nosmo King

Free Member
Jul 17, 2018
Funster No
So the question I have is - where to fill up with water?
I'd rather not carry 75l for the entire journey down to the ferry if possible.
We'll be wild camping for a few days at least so could do with full tanks when we get to Bilbao, or soon after!
TIA!

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
We'll be wild camping for a few days at least so could do with full tanks when we get to Bilbao, or soon after!
TIA!

I leave the UK with a full tank of water, gas and diesel.....and food for a couple of days - that's what a motorhome is for...no stress.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
There are free aires with water around Bilbao, so you could use one of those. You can find them on Campercontact or one of the other apps/sites but I would arrive full as already suggested. :)

OP
OP
Nosmo King

Nosmo King

Free Member
Jul 17, 2018
Funster No
Thanks folks
I don't envisage problems just didn't fancy lugging 70kg of weight if there was a place in Portsmouth where I could fill up with water
Looks like I'll be travelling full (water) and empty (loo) then!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
We’re you heading from Bilbao Nosmo? We usually stay a night or two at Haro about 80 miles down the Paege, good supermarkets on edge of town including Lidl shortly after leaving the motorway, also reasonably priced fuel. Haro campsite is ACSI and it’s a 10 minute walk into the old town and it’s wonderful Tapas bars

Reactions: DBK
Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
We’re you heading from Bilbao Nosmo? We usually stay a night or two at Haro about 80 miles down the Paege, good supermarkets on edge of town including Lidl shortly after leaving the motorway, also reasonably priced fuel. Haro campsite is ACSI and it’s a 10 minute walk into the old town and it’s wonderful Tapas bars
It would be a crime to visit Haro without visiting at least one Rioja bodega I would suggest Muga. I would travel with a couple of nights water (I'm sure they have taps in Spain) that being said the ops tank seems fairly small at 75 l ours is 130 l so half a tank in ours wouldn't be far off full in his.

OP
OP
Nosmo King

Nosmo King

Free Member
Jul 17, 2018
Funster No
Thanks folks. Plan was to follow the coast, but we were looking for a stopover on the way back prior to departure from Santander so this sounds like a good spot!
It's all pretty flexible - we have a general direction we want to be heading in, that's about it! Thought about first night in Gijon - we arrive 08.00 so a couple of hours drive away from the port.

Do they really have taps in Spain? We've bought hundreds of 1l bottles of water to keep the tank topped up.....

You'll be telling me they have flushing toilets next!

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
Simply Haro (Auchan) sell cut-price fuel. We have a Simply card, if you spend €30 in-store, you get a further 3 cent reduction. Fill up first, then when you have spent in-store, get the redemption.

Diesel today, €1.21, Premium Diesel, €1.23 (less card discounts)

There is also a Le Clerc at Mirando del Ebro which has a cheap fuel station.

Diesel Today €1.25

Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
Water in Northern Spain is generally good for drinking etc, the de-salinated water further South especially on the coasts has a high mineral content which can cause problems so bottled water is recommended fo drinking.

Apr 26, 2018
England, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Learning all the time
New to camping. A few questions if you dont mind.
1 What's the camps site in Haro called?
2 What's the Paege?
And last for now
3 What's ACSI a camping club do we need to join to stay at above site?

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
The best thing you could do is sort out internet, download the park 4 night app and many of your problems are solved. :pop: Bob.

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
TIA!

I would normally recommend a pack of wet wipes as a replacement for your water dilema but after watching the BBCs War On Plastic programme the other day they are now banned in our household

There's no substitute for water.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Water in Northern Spain is generally good for drinking etc, the de-salinated water further South especially on the coasts has a high mineral content which can cause problems so bottled water is recommended fo drinking.
I suspect the southern Spain water is safe to drink, however it tastes terrible and makes lousy tea. Stick to the wine, some is cheaper than bottled water.

Drifter

Free Member
May 25, 2019
Dundee
Funster No
MH
Low profile c class
Exp
I would normally recommend a pack of wet wipes as a replacement for your water dilema but after watching the BBCs War On Plastic programme the other day they are now banned in our household
Who knew? That surprised us too. I’m guessing sales of them will plummet now

Jan 19, 2010
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2007
Thanks folks
I don't envisage problems just didn't fancy lugging 70kg of weight if there was a place in Portsmouth where I could fill up with water
Looks like I'll be travelling full (water) and empty (loo) then!

It's just the same as another passenger....

Stonemags76

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2011
Derbyshire Dales
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleepers Warwick Duo
Exp
Full Time 2011-2013, now part timers!
2 What's the Paege?
And last for now
The Peage is the toll motorway & fairly cheap in Spain (dearer in France). ACSI is a discount card you can buy from Vicarious Books or The Caravan & Motorhome Club, and from some sites in France & Spain. Gives much cheaper rates on loads of sites in off season (usually just excludes July & August), so a must have in our opinion. You can then download the Camping Card app, which gives all the discount sites f is much easier to use than the books that come with the card. You need to input your membership number into the app for it to work. Both last from January to January, but still worth getting for the rest of the year as discounts are so good. The app has reviews on it, which the books don’t, so that is another reason we like it.

Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
2 What's the Paege?
And last for now

Your other queries have been answered by others, the campsite detail as in this link.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Your other queries have been answered by others, the campsite detail as in this link.

We used to stop at a little site in Navarette which is also just off the Peage and not far from Haro

I love that part of the World and I love that road across to the Med as well. I think it’s the AP2?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back