Off to Southern Germany 3rd week in June (1 Viewer)

Sep 18, 2016
Bonnyrigg
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs 7057DBL
Exp
Does anyone know how busy the german stellplatz's are in late June? I think we are going just before the school holidays so hoping to get lots of easy stop overs around bavaria.

This is our route plan we're leaving uk on June 23rd

1 night Canterbury Motorhome stop for Eurotunnel next day
1 night stop at Bastogne - Belguim (Battle of the Bulge museum)
2 night stop at Camping Fuusekaul - Luxembourg
1 night at Sasbachwalden stellplatz
2/3 nights Campsite Sandbank Lake Titisee
1 night - Uberlingen or Meersburg - Stellplatz
2/3 nights - Garmish Partenkirchen - Stellpaltz
1 night Oberammergua stellpatz
1 night Kloster Andechs stellplatz (Some German Beer Swigging):D
1 night Landsberg am lech - Stellplatz
2 nights Berncastel Kues - Stellplatz

Back home via Eurotunnel

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
You should be OK in June.

Make sure you always have enough cash on you. Some parts of Germany, especially in the South, can be very hit and miss (more miss than hit!!!) for accepting card payments. Some places just won't accept cards at all and some others use a strange processing network that doesn't accept Visa or MasterCard. Cash is very much king in that part of the world.

Also have plenty of coins. You'll find a lot of the Stellplatzes have all services, some will even have showers, but it's all extra via coin op meters.

May 6, 2017
North Lincs
Funster No
MH
Frankia
Exp
since the eighties
I notice you are stopping at the campsite in Luxembourg. We have stayed there and caught the bus into the city, but this week we stayed at an aire in Dudelange. It had all facilities, was free and very near the shops and restaurants of Dudelange. The railway station was a 2 minute walk, and many motorhomers took advantage of the 4 euro day ticket to travel to Luxembourg City. Just another option for you to think about. Look it up on campercontact if you want more information. Have a good trip.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
Great trip but lots of miles, I hope you have factored in time to visit the towns and sites.
If you are going to Garmisch consider instead spending one night in Mittenwald's Stellplatz, wonderfully typical Bavarian town - one of our favourites.

mittenwald-bavaria-germany_main.jpg

We actually stay in Mittenwald and catch the train into Garmisch. If you have time take a trip to the highest beer garden in the world - .

OP
OP
Chris Laing
Sep 18, 2016
Bonnyrigg
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs 7057DBL
Exp
Planning to have a half day trip to Mittenwald
Staying in garmisch to visit zugspitz and the interestingly named Mount Wank

Great trip but lots of miles, I hope you have factored in time to visit the towns and sites.
If you are going to Garmisch consider instead spending one night in Mittenwald's Stellplatz, wonderfully typical Bavarian town - one of our favourites.

View attachment 164722
We actually stay in Mittenwald and catch the train into Garmisch. If you have time take a trip to the highest beer garden in the world - .
Pls

OP
OP
Chris Laing
Sep 18, 2016
Bonnyrigg
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs 7057DBL
Exp
Not planning to go to
Luxembourg City just using
Camping fuussekaul as a rest point before heading south. May look at Dudelange as a stop on the way back before heading to the Euro tunnel

I notice you are stopping at the campsite in Luxembourg. We have stayed there and caught the bus into the city, but this week we stayed at an aire in Dudelange. It had all facilities, was free and very near the shops and restaurants of Dudelange. The railway station was a 2 minute walk, and many motorhomers took advantage of the 4 euro day ticket to travel to Luxembourg City. Just another option for you to think about. Look it up on campercontact if you want more information. Have a good trip.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Yeah it's perfect for staying in garmisch and visiting the mountain.

The couple that run the Stellplatz have a tiny little cafe/bar there in the main building. They serve local dishes and are worth trying while you're there. It's simple stuff but pretty good and big portions. They prep the food at home and bring it with them so they have limited amounts and when it's gone it's gone.

Easyliving

Free Member
Dec 4, 2012
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
Does anyone know how busy the german stellplatz's are in late June? I think we are going just before the school holidays so hoping to get lots of easy stop overs around bavaria.

This is our route plan we're leaving uk on June 23rd

1 night Canterbury Motorhome stop for Eurotunnel next day
1 night stop at Bastogne - Belguim (Battle of the Bulge museum)
2 night stop at Camping Fuusekaul - Luxembourg
1 night at Sasbachwalden stellplatz
2/3 nights Campsite Sandbank Lake Titisee
1 night - Uberlingen or Meersburg - Stellplatz
2/3 nights - Garmish Partenkirchen - Stellpaltz
1 night Oberammergua stellpatz
1 night Kloster Andechs stellplatz (Some German Beer Swigging):D
1 night Landsberg am lech - Stellplatz
2 nights Berncastel Kues - Stellplatz

Back home via Eurotunnel

The only place on your list we have been to is Sasbachwalden, on our September 2015 trip. Plenty of space on the stellplatz, and more pleasant than it looks in the photo.

Pretty tourist town with small supermarket, baker, bars etc 1 minute away.

Paul.

Just remembered we stayed at Meersburg too, nice stellplatz and pleasant walk to lovely Bodensee (aka Lake Constance). Our original plan was to stay at Uberlingen but the stellplatz was full of Itinerants.

sasbachwalden.jpg

meersbrg.jpg

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2013
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic e-line
Exp
Since 2013
We've stayed at Landsberg am Lech,short walk back over the bridge to the old town,barrier controlled full services.I thought I'd never say it but we prefered Germany to France having spent four weeks there two years ago.

image.png

D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
Bernkastel Keus is a very busy Stellplatz, it is large though and you'll probably be ok. If not there's an abundance of options within a few km.
Looks like a lovely trip, enjoy (y)

May 23, 2013
Not on the Coast East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B504
Exp
Since 2013
Bastogne might be worth asking if you can stay overnight at the museum which would be very quiet, the aire in the town has plenty of room but is just a big carpark and a short walk into town.

We were in the Garmisch region during August school holidays last year and still plenty of options on the Stellplatze and/or campsites.

Enjoy the trip

Nov 5, 2013
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic e-line
Exp
Since 2013
As for were they busy....the ones that were busy were rammed for some reason,but as you can see we were on our own quite a lot :)
We went to the Black Forest,over to see some friends near Bad Aibling,up the Romantic road and then to see some more friends in Cloppenburg! had a brilliant time :)

20150706_162625.jpg 20150704_170804.jpg 20150702_071949.jpg 20150624_184741.jpg 20150619_130601.jpg 20150617_142429.jpg

Sep 2, 2014
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
Self-converted Van
Exp
Since 2014
Have you checked when the school holidays are? My grandchildren(German) start their summer holidays much earlier than here in the UK, though you need to check dates for each state as they they do stagger the start and finish dates

Ron

OP
OP
Chris Laing
Sep 18, 2016
Bonnyrigg
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs 7057DBL
Exp
Yes I think the schools in Northern Germany are late June to end of July whereas other parts are later I think

Have you checked when the school holidays are? My grandchildren(German) start their summer holidays much earlier than here in the UK, though you need to check dates for each state as they they do stagger the start and finish dates

Ron

OP
OP
Chris Laing
Sep 18, 2016
Bonnyrigg
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs 7057DBL
Exp
Okay an update on what we've done since Thursday.
A very long 9 hours from Edinburgh to Canterbury motorhome stop. Had a good night at the Canterbury park and ride and even had a Chinese delivered straight to our motorhome

First time driving in Europe went without a hitch straight down to Bastogne free overnight car park that was really good.
Went to see all the 101st airborne memorials and then down to Camping Fuusekaul in Lumbourg for 2 days.

We have now arrived in Sasbachwalden but we have already upset the 8 German Motorhomes already there when our new strike back alarm decided to blow its whistle while we were out

I've had to apologise to them all one by one. I think I didn't close the habitation door properly.

Here tomorrow then off to Sandank Lake Titises

T4mad

Free Member
Feb 6, 2017
London
Funster No
MH
VW T4 Self Build
Exp
Since 2009
Hi i would really like to know how you get on at sandbanks Titises as been looking to book that for August time .

OP
OP
Chris Laing
Sep 18, 2016
Bonnyrigg
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs 7057DBL
Exp
You can't book you just turn up and find a place to park. Best to arrive before 12noon.
It's an odd campsite but it's a lovely place to park up for a couple of days next to the lake.

We paid 24 euro per night with electric, free water. It's about a mile walk along the lakeside path to Lake Titisee where there are loads of shops. Restaurants and beer drinking places. It's a Chinese tourist hotspot so it's busy in summer.

Hi i would really like to know how you get on at sandbanks Titises as been looking to book that for August time .

Jul 31, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
EuraMobil Activa 820HS
Exp
Okay an update on what we've done since Thursday.
A very long 9 hours from Edinburgh to Canterbury motorhome stop. Had a good night at the Canterbury park and ride and even had a Chinese delivered straight to our motorhome

First time driving in Europe went without a hitch straight down to Bastogne free overnight car park that was really good.
Went to see all the 101st airborne memorials and then down to Camping Fuusekaul in Lumbourg for 2 days.

We have now arrived in Sasbachwalden but we have already upset the 8 German Motorhomes already there when our new strike back alarm decided to blow its whistle while we were out

I've had to apologise to them all one by one. I think I didn't close the habitation door properly.

Here tomorrow then off to Sandank Lake Titises

Hi Chris,
How did you get on staying at camping Fuussekaul in Lux on this trip?
I'm planning my route to Italy and wanted to take in Bastogne for the battle of the bulge sights before moving on.
We'd be arriving into Zeebrugge in the morning and driving down to Bastogne for a look around before either staying nearby or driving on to Luxembourg to overnight and I saw Fuussekaul in campercontact and it's in vicinity of our route.
Can you remember if the pitches are a good size? We're 9.5m with the bikes on.
Was Bastogne interesting? - any tips?
Thanks a lot
gav

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back