Off to Setthorns, New Forest - where do you recommend in the area (1 Viewer)

rosemaryd

Free Member
Sep 3, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2015
Hi all.

Off to Setthorns in the New Forest in a couple of weeks time. Stayed there many times and normally do plenty of walking, bike riding etc, often straight from the campsite but not always.

Just wondered if anyone has any must-see places in the New Forest they can recommend as we tend to stick to the bits we know and we're keen to explore a bit.

Thanks

Rosemary

Kool Kroozer

Free Member
Apr 19, 2014
Cannock Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hobby Premium
Exp
Always learning
Watch what car parks you park on in the woodlands, some are used for Dogging - as we found out last year:LOL::LOL:
So if you notice a lot of cars parking up near you and no one getting out and they are just staring your way i would advise you to move on - unless you want to stay for the show :D

Upvote 0
Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Bet you never expected to hear about dogging when you asked about activities in the new forest !

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
rosemaryd

rosemaryd

Free Member
Sep 3, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2015
Ooh er! Yeah, you're right I didn't expect to hear about dogging! I was expecting to hear everyone's favourite beauty spots!!

Upvote 0
Jun 1, 2016
Ferndown, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Laika Kreos 4009
Exp
Since early 90's
Not sure how far you want to drive but places to consider are@
Burley - Gorgeous new forest village, Deer, Cider etc
Lymington - Lovely Market (sat) town with harbour (quaint)
Christchurch - Town, Ruins, Riverside walk,
Mudeford - Harbour, Quay side walk
Ringwood - Market (Wed) Town, Owl/Raptor Centre

to name a few.

Upvote 0

grasscutter

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 11, 2009
East Wittering. West Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis i588
Exp
Started in 1980
Watch what car parks you park on in the woodlands, some are used for Dogging - as we found out last year:LOL::LOL:
So if you notice a lot of cars parking up near you and no one getting out and they are just staring your way i would advise you to move on - unless you want to stay for the show :D
Half a post. You missed out the sat nav co-ordinates :rofl: :rofl::rofl:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
rosemaryd

rosemaryd

Free Member
Sep 3, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2015
Thanks everyone. Will probably try that walk to Bucklers Hard. Where's the best place to park the motorhome for Muddiford?

Upvote 0

big map

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 8, 2009
Poole
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
You can park in Mudeford Car Park
Screenshot 2017-02-01 11.55.55.png

Upvote 0
OP
OP
rosemaryd

rosemaryd

Free Member
Sep 3, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2015
I remember the Mudeford car park being really tight. Think I'm thinking of a different bit of the sea front perhaps. Proper name for it something like Avon Beach. Is Mudeford car park further along then.

Upvote 0

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
I wouldn't even attempt to get a mh in the village or village car park at Beaulieu although it is a lovely walk.

It's nice at Calshot, plenty of space & can watch the cruise ships go by, could spend a day there just pottering.

Opposite Mudeford is Hengistbury Head (has all the mega expensive beach huts on it) it's a lovely walk from the cafe round or over the headland, down to the end opposite Mudeford and back to the cafe, or go on the little train back. The car parks have height barriers although there is parking on the road which says for bikes & cars only. I rang the council & was told as long as we were no more than 3.5t we would be ok to park. Or there is a ferry that operates between Mudeford and the headland.

Not sure how far you cycle but the track from near to Black Knowl cc site goes up to Lyndhurst which is pretty. Or parking at Lyndurst down by the memorial - usually plenty of space out of weekends.

Upvote 0

GeriatricWanderer

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso, just cos I can!
Funster No
MH
Pop-Top Campervan
Exp
45years
If you fancy a wander around Lyndhurst there's some free parking on the edge of town at 50.87199, -1.57044.
Bit of a rough track at times but not too bad most of the time. Lovely spot and free.
Lovely busy town with a very nice car showroom (leave your plastic at home).

Further in the forest one of the many parking spots is Pig Bush 50.84411 , -1.48645
Good for walking, cycling and dogging
Fun caters for all persuasions. :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Oct 20, 2014
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 680 SL
Exp
Since 2014
If you do get to Calshot, the little Castle is quite interesting to visit, see the entry in Wikipaedia.

Upvote 0

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
If you do get to Calshot, the little Castle is quite interesting to visit, see the entry in Wikipaedia.
Doesn't Wikipedia look weird when you spell it correctly, although I think should more correctly be Wikipædia! :D
Sorry, it just jumped out at me when I read your post :D

Upvote 0
Oct 20, 2014
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 680 SL
Exp
Since 2014
Doesn't Wikipedia look weird when you spell it correctly, although I think should more correctly be Wikipædia! :D
Sorry, it just jumped out at me when I read your post :D

:LOL: As soon as I started typing it I realised (a) I wasn't sure how to spell it and (b) it seemed weird the way I did spell it!!

Thinking of the book sets of knowledge I suppose - don't want to risk spelling those wrong as well...

Upvote 0

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
:LOL: As soon as I started typing it I realised (a) I wasn't sure how to spell it and (b) it seemed weird the way I did spell it!!
I approve, don't get me wrong :D The word is a derived from encyclopædia, and moreover, I really hate American spellings :D
I'm sure others will be along to point out that it is a brand name :giggler:

Upvote 0
Jun 17, 2015
Portsmouth
Funster No
MH
Pilote G740
Exp
July 2015 plus 20 years of camping
I absolutely love Hengistbury head. Fantastic walks and views, a bit of a drive from setthorns via Christchurch, but well worth it. The main carpark has height barriers, but there is short term roadside parking, or just find a street nearby and walk/cycle.

Upvote 0

TJBi

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2014
Park at Keyhaven and walk or take the water taxi to Hurst Castle. Very interesting castle and small museum and superb views over the Solent..

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back