Off to Boston America. What to buy (1 Viewer)

Gazza333

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 8, 2013
Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 695
Exp
So I'm off to America on a course and presume I'll get the weekend free to go shopping. So what are the must buys while over there that are cheaper. I already have an endless breeze or I'd be getting one of those . Wife's put an order in for Jeans .

Any more things I should be looking for while out there ?

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Bargainsa are not as good with the weaker £.

Clothes are often cheap out there, especially brands and especially in the sales that the likes of Macys often have. But go to the out of town or outlet malls. Wife picks up Levis for as low as £10. I got proper Wranglers for less than £20 each. Electronic stuff can also be a bit cheaper

But beware, all of the prices quoted in shops excludes sales tax which gets added at the till. The rate will depend upon the State - not sure what it is in Boston.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
IF your in the market for a (laptop) computer, I saved about 30%. The likes of I-Phones and pads are Dollar for pound (usually). The "basics" clothing is cheaper too. I get my "jockeys" from Walmart for about half what you pay here!.

P.S. Don`t forget that sale tax is added at the till and varies by State AND county!. Can be from ZERO up to 10%.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
C Class: Low profile
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
A red wig, so you can pretend to be Irish and then fit in with half the Boston-Irish population

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Whatever you buy... remember you have restricted allowances, not only the 1 litre/200 cig but £390 for all other purchases.
Two of you can't combine to get £780
Any single item over £390 will be charged on the whole amount.

And for electronics, remember to double check for "international" voltage.

As for what to buy, check out the department store sales.
Always found trousers/jeans to be a good buy - mainly because of leg length... 32" [here its 31, too short or 33 too long :whistle:]

USA has Marshalls, a bargain basement store - similar to TJ Max - never know what you might find in there, but can be some cracking bargains.

For a bigger better "Covent Garden" experience - try Faneuil Hall & Quincy Market.

Dazzlin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 31, 2012
La Marina, Costa Blanca.
Funster No
MH
1986 Hymer A Class
Exp
From 2013
I bought a Leatherman 'Wave' multitool from Walmart.
Fantastic bit of kit. I used it daily when working and still in use regularly now.
Lifetime guarantee. Snap a blade - send it back (uk address) and get a new one.
Over £100 here. USA less than half that.

Ps. Make sure it's in your hold luggage.

Deleted User
I was in Boston about 6 weeks ago. Didn't see much in the way of bargains but had a great time. If you are a coffee addict then you will be in heaven.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
So I'm off to America on a course and presume I'll get the weekend free to go shopping. So what are the must buys while over there that are cheaper. I already have an endless breeze or I'd be getting one of those . Wife's put an order in for Jeans .

Any more things I should be looking for while out there ?
The cars are a good buy;) We visit my son in Greenwich which is a hop south from Boston fairly often but seldom bother to bring anything back, no real bargains as I see it. Boston though is an interesting place to visit.(y)

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
A nuclear bunker might be a sound investment

Aug 19, 2009
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Clothing is invariably less expensive, Filene's Basement was the best place to get a real discount on branded clothing in Boston if it's still open; I haven't been for a while. Failing that if you can hire a car (it's well worth it) drive over to Wrentham Village there is a terrific outlet mall there; you will be surprised at some of the deals you can get. http://www.premiumoutlets.com/outlet/wrentham-village
If you are in the market for trousers be careful the American cut is different to ours, try them on first don't go off waist and length of leg.
Electronic goods, computers etc are usually priced $ for £ but you need to be careful what you buy for operating in the U.K.

Try a meal at Legal Seafood, they are all over town, that is if you like seafood!
If you like Italian you are spoilt for choice but if you can get out to Rockland, Bella's Italian restaurant is better than most Broken Link Removed

You can't fail to enjoy Boston it is a great city. Safe journey.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
An rv

If you've seen that programme on sky about the extravagant rv's it's amazing what you can get for $75000

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Martin says that Dairy Queen do the best banana splits he has ever tasted - and he is an expert.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
My god......... Wendys' burgers and DQ. Real redneck country!

There are lots of independent Mom & Pop type ice cream parlours that still make their own on the premises. Often sold from roadside huts. Usually much better than the chains. Likewise the best burgers are also from those type of establishments who make their own. Again much better than the chains.

Also Boston, and a lot of other places on the East coast, has brew pubs that brew their own beer on the premises. The quality is much better than the traditional Buds and Millers that was all you could get a few years ago. And it is the home of Sam Adams, which I think is one of the best big brewers in the USA.

BKen

Free Member
Feb 17, 2013
Rojales Spain
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since 2000
All the way to the US to save a few Quid on Jeans or clam Cowder or even an I Phone surly the trip should be the whole experience of location, culture not not what can I save on ....and you may get stopped a customs and have to pay import duty .......enjoy the journey.

OP
OP
G

Gazza333

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 8, 2013
Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 695
Exp
All the way to the US to save a few Quid on Jeans or clam Cowder or even an I Phone surly the trip should be the whole experience of location, culture not not what can I save on ....and you may get stopped a customs and have to pay import duty .......enjoy the journey.

The trip is actually for a works training course . But whilst I'm there I'll look at things I can buy for me

Teuchter

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Nov 4, 2014
Lee on the Solent
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes MLI 580
Exp
I have been caravanning for 32 years but in 2014 I have"gone over to the dark side"

Deleted User
When are you travelling, if it is later in the year then don't forget your thermals.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back