Off Road exclusion (1 Viewer)

Hatty04

Free Member
Aug 14, 2020
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Valentine
Exp
I'm trying to sort insurance for our, new to us, first motorhome and a broker today mentioned a clause called an 'off-road exclusion' As far as I can tell, this means that the vehicle cannot be parked overnight at our home address or usual place of storage unless it is parked off the public road, ie albeit only a driveway. Has anyone else encountered this and is it normal for motorhomes?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
A lot of companies won't insure a Motorhome parked permantly on the road but usually allow it to parked unattended away from designated parking place for 48 hours unattended without notifying them.
Read the policy carefully.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
I'm trying to sort insurance for our, new to us, first motorhome and a broker today mentioned a clause called an 'off-road exclusion' As far as I can tell, this means that the vehicle cannot be parked overnight at our home address or usual place of storage unless it is parked off the public road, ie albeit only a driveway. Has anyone else encountered this and is it normal for motorhomes?

It is normal for a policy to have such an exclusion if you're getting a reduction for parking on the drive. However, you should check what the penalty is. It can vary from complete removal of theft insurance at one extreme to an extra £100 excess for theft at the other.

Feb 17, 2017
Herefordshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
A Bit
Most insurance's will ask where you keep your Vehicle whilst it is not being occupied, if you park it somewhere other than as specified for more than a short period of time (usually 2 or 3 days) without informing them it will have a detrimental affect on your cover (possibly even invalidate it) the daft thing is I have heard from a broker that if you have said it will be parked on your drive and then you put it into secure storage without telling them it could still possibly invalidate your cover

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
A lot could also depend on postcode. When I changed storage arrangements my insurance requested an increased premium of almost double. Turned out to be due to a "good" postcode moving to a "bad" one, even though the new place was a very secure CaSSoa Gold site. Had a "discussion" and got it sorted with no increase.
At the same time I was told I could only leave it at home for 36 hours - I've since changed insurers and there is now no stated restriction. Seems different insurers have different criteria for different things.

Check the policy wording very carefully and get anything unclear sorted in writing. Better it's done before an "incident" rather than arguing after the event.

OP
OP
Hatty04

Hatty04

Free Member
Aug 14, 2020
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Valentine
Exp
Thanks for all the helpful replies. I spoke with the broker this morning as he had mentioned it whilst quoting for my policy, but it wasn't mentioned at all in any of the documents he sent me. He re-checked and confirmed it's not an endorsement on my proposed policy, but it's a common one on many as some of you have mentioned, and he automatically rattled it off. Our MH will usually be on a storage site, but we wanted the option to be able to make early departures or late returns so it could conceivably be outside our house, but not on the carriageway overnight. He confirmed that is okay.

Apr 6, 2019
Eye, Peterborough, UK
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
FourWinds Windsport 6.8L V10
My insurer wanted to know if I would park at home sometimes and I said yes and so policy was adjusted accordingly.

Jul 11, 2020
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Benimar Tessoro T486
Exp
Since August 2020
Comfort have this extension as standard and ask that you notify them if you plan to leave the MH unattended for 48 hours or more other than at your storage address - ie your drive. Personally, I can't see any circumstances where we would - we'll either be at home with it or MH'ing in it

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Comfort have this extension as standard and ask that you notify them if you plan to leave the MH unattended for 48 hours or more other than at your storage address - ie your drive. Personally, I can't see any circumstances where we would - we'll either be at home with it or MH'ing in it

It may be regarded that sleeping at home whilst it is on the drive counts as unattended.

Jul 11, 2020
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Benimar Tessoro T486
Exp
Since August 2020
It may be regarded that sleeping at home whilst it is on the drive counts as unattended.
The actual wording reads "Loss or damage to your Motorhome if it is stored anywhere other than the storage location disclosed as shown on your statement of fact, for a period in excess of 48 hours" so its Storage not just parking unattended. So you can store on your drive quite happily

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
The actual wording reads "Loss or damage to your Motorhome if it is stored anywhere other than the storage location disclosed as shown on your statement of fact, for a period in excess of 48 hours" so its Storage not just parking unattended. So you can store on your drive quite happily

All the policies have different wording, which is why it is so important to actually read it (little chance of that happening before accepting the policy!)

Jul 11, 2020
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Benimar Tessoro T486
Exp
Since August 2020
All the policies have different wording, which is why it is so important to actually read it (little chance of that happening before accepting the policy!)
Comfort highlighted it on the screen before pressing the accept button in fairness. It did get me looking at other quotes until I stopped to think logically. Then when the CC&M club came up with over £3000, I bought the comfort policy at £285!
The idea of the exclusion is to stop someone living and parking in London putting a rural address down to get a better premium

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
My C&MC (Devitt) Policy does not appear to restrict in that manner. Just noted that it is kept on my driveway?.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
I thought “off road exclusions” were about people charging around on green lanes, bye-ways and rough tracks. I must take a look at my policy. I know it stipulates a normal place of storage but that is nothing new.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back