Off grid night time battery charging? (1 Viewer)

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
I have an Efoy and it does just that. Charges whatever the weather, day or night and wherever you are parked. Including nice shady spots. I use 40 or 50Ah per day with a single 100Ah LiFePO4 battery. The Efoy runs quietly for 8-10 hours (no solar), turns on when the battery is about 40% discharged and stops when it is full. I need reliable electricity because I have a CPAP machine that runs all night. With the Efoy I simply donā€™t have to worry.

The Downside is it is not a cheap option.
I wouldnā€™t be without mine, bought some cartridges a month ago they came from Germany,cheapest, ordered Sunday and delivered Wednesday ā‚¬8.50 delivery.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
Well suggest visit them during summer, when there's plenty of solar and minimum electrical demand.... ;) (y)
My CPAP uses the same amount of power whatever the season and I like parking in nice shady spots in summer.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 31, 2016
Alness, Cromarty Firth
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 (2012)
Exp
We have 240w solar and two 85amp exide gel batteries. They are usually fully charged on the morning by 9am. But we aren't heavy users of batteries. More solar and better batteries is the answer

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
My CPAP uses the same amount of power whatever the season and I like parking in nice shady spots in summer.
I'm no expert, but didn't think a CPAP used a lot of juice? But happy to be corrected. :unsure:

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
I'm no expert, but didn't think a CPAP used a lot of juice? But happy to be corrected. :unsure:
The basic CPAP doesnā€™t use a lot but many users, like me, need to use it with a humidifier attachment which doubles the demand. It then has to run constantly for 7 or 8 hours and it mounts up. My overall daily power requirement including CPAP, water pump, lighting, heating etc. amounts to 30 or 40Ah per day. Whatever goes out has to be replaced.

Buying an Efoy is expensive but having an independent and reliable source of electricity is my priority. A CPAP shutting down unexpectedly in the night is very unpleasant. The daily running cost of the Efoy fuel is less than Ā£5, which is about the same as an electric hook up adds to the cost of a pitch. For me it makes sense but I fully accept that for many solar is a better option.

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
Fit another panel but make sure it's a lunar panel then you will have all situations covered ... unless it's cloudy!
Lunar panels are soooo last year. The latest technology is the nebular panel, designed originally for tropical rain forest locations. As you know, many lunar panels are double-sided. To attain the required efficiency, nebular panels need to be triple-sided.

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
Funny thing is, some Belgian freinds bought a new Hymer with one Lithium battery and two gel batteries, with the lithium there to top up the gels.
But seriously, the Hymer gel plus lithium system seems to use a small lithium battery in combination with a pair of gels. Some clever electronics makes the lithium battery do most of the small loads for most of the time, with the gels in reserve for larger loads or extended time off hookup/at night/bad weather. The lithium battery is better at continual charge/discharge cycling, and the gels are kept fully charged for the maximum time.

I think the OP needs the clever electronics module for this system to work. From the website they do a retrofittable version, but for MHs later than about 2012.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Vic. Parsons.

Vic. Parsons.

Free Member
Mar 2, 2015
Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymermobil S740
Exp
since 2014
Perhaps you ought to have a battery to charge the battery to charge the battery to trickle charge the other batteries so you can keep the main batteries up!

So you're saying not to use a battery to charge another battery?
So how do you charge your cordless vacuum Cleaner, laptop, tablet, smart phone etc?
Presumably not off your leisure batteries through an inverter, because that would just be silly wouldn't it. šŸ˜

OP
OP
Vic. Parsons.

Vic. Parsons.

Free Member
Mar 2, 2015
Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymermobil S740
Exp
since 2014
But seriously, the Hymer gel plus lithium system seems to use a small lithium battery in combination with a pair of gels. Some clever electronics makes the lithium battery do most of the small loads for most of the time, with the gels in reserve for larger loads or extended time off hookup/at night/bad weather. The lithium battery is better at continual charge/discharge cycling, and the gels are kept fully charged for the maximum time.

I think the OP needs the clever electronics module for this system to work. From the website they do a retrofittable version, but for MHs later than about 2012.

Well that's me out then, our Hymer is 2002 so presumably our existing electronics would be incompatible.
Maybe I'll take a look at Lunar panels. šŸ˜

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
So you're saying not to use a battery to charge another battery?
So how do you charge your cordless vacuum Cleaner, laptop, tablet, smart phone etc?
Presumably not off your leisure batteries through an inverter, because that would just be silly wouldn't it. šŸ˜

I was actually being silly saying that about charging, I suppose if your sense of humour has gone then that would be a shame.
As to charging things like cordless vacuum that's on the inverter when travelling and all else is on USB ditto!:LOL:

OP
OP
Vic. Parsons.

Vic. Parsons.

Free Member
Mar 2, 2015
Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymermobil S740
Exp
since 2014
I was actually being silly saying that about charging, I suppose if your sense of humour has gone then that would be a shame.
As to charging things like cordless vacuum that's on the inverter when travelling and all else is on USB ditto!:LOL:

I know. šŸ˜

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
We only have a 140w panel mppt charging and the 2x 97ah AGM batteries are being charged fully each day. You should cope as you are, maybe you should add an extra battery and check your original battery is good.

Mark and Mindy

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2017
Nr Bicester
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640 SGX
Exp
Since 2019
From Hymer...
Smart_Batterie_System_Flyer_08_2018_GB_258.pdf

HYMER Smart Battery System

Experience the freedom of superior technology: at the typical rate of use, the combination of lithium and lead batteries in the new HYMER Smart Battery System increases your independence from external power sources from 2.8 to 5.6 days, improves the battery efficiency from 50 to over 80 %, reduces the weight by 5 kg and triples the lifespan to approx. 10 years.

Available for all ERIBA Touring, Nova GL, Nova SL and Nova S model range layouts.

The HYMER Smart Battery System is only available in conjunction with the ERIBAautonomy package.

With the HYMER Smart Battery System, youā€™re now also free to camp in the middle of nowhere ā€“ in places where a self-sufficient, on-board power supply system is a must. When youā€™ve found the perfect campsite, thereā€™s no reason for you to leave straight away. In fact, thereā€™s now one more reason to stay a few days: the new HYMER Smart Battery System for HYMER motorhomes, camper vans and ERIBA caravans.

How it works:

The HY-Tec lithium battery 135 (LiFePo 4*) consists of 6 individual LE300 lithium extension battery modules (LE300). This extendable solution increases the capacity and performance of the lead batteries, while simultaneously increasing the efficiency and lifespan of the entire system. The lithium batteries are connected in parallel with the lead batteries. The lithium batteries undertake the majority of the charging cycles, whilst the lead batteries function as backup storage devices. The system ensures that the lead batteries are always charged first (1. Preferential charging of the lead battery).

Any excess energy is then stored by the lithium batteries (2. Charging of the lithium battery). Conversely, when power is consumed, the lithium batteries are discharged first, significantly increasing the lifespan of the lead battery (3. Preferential discharging of the lithium battery). Thanks to integrated discharge management, the lithium batteries detect the voltage of the lead battery. The on-board power supply system is thus preferentially powered by the cycle-proof lithium batteries. In the event of increased energy consumption, power is supplied by the lead and lithium batteries in parallel, reducing the strain on both batteries (4. Discharging of the lead battery). The result: A reliable and stable power supply on the road, especially when there arenā€™t any external power sources nearby.

What are the advantages of the HYMER Smart Battery System?

With a service life of 10 years, lithium batteries offer a significantly longer lifespan than standard lead batteries (approx. 3 years). If used optimally, the HYMER Smart Battery System will also increase the lifespan of your lead battery. There is also a considerable increase in battery efficiency to as much as 80 % (normally 50 %). Compared with comparable lead battery systems, this results in a significant increase in self-sufficiency, as well as a simultaneous reduction in weight.

Attachments

• Smart_Batterie_System_Flyer_08_2018_GB_258.pdf
    8.7 MB · Views: 13
Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
I'm not too convinced about your reasons for charging the lead-acid batteries from the lithium battery, but the answer to the original question is yes, you can easily arrange for the lithium battery to charge the lead-acid one.

As well as the stuff for charging the lithium from solar, you will need a B2B (Battery to Battery) charger. Usually a B2B works in voltage-sensitive mode. It charges the target battery when the source battery voltage rises above a threshold, which indicates it is being charged itself. But that's not what you want.

The B2B can be set to an alternative mode, where it uses the D+ wire from the alternator to sense that it is charging. So whenever the D+ wire is seeing 12V, is tells the B2B to charge. You could wire the B2B D+ terminal to a 12V supply via a switch. Then whenever the switch is on, the B2B will charge. The switch could be manual, a timer, or daylight-sensitive.

The B2B will continue charging until the target battery is full, or the source battery drops to a predefined low limit.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back