occasional data usage in France (1 Viewer)

May 4, 2015
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2000
We are thinking of having a cctv system fitted at home, we will be able to monitor it online. I am also due a new iPad, so I am looking at one that will take a sim card, I can then monitor the cctv a couple of times a week when we are in France travelling without having to search for free wifi. My Android smartphone is also due to be passed on to himself so I am due a new smartphone as well.

At home in France I can pick up free wifi , I also have the option of buying a French sim.

Can anyone give me advice as to which way to go with this please. I am an idiot as far as computers and such like.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
NOTE...
Having the sim version of ipad adds £100-120 to it's cost and your tied just to that devise..
£20ish from Argos will get you a MIFI, These can be unlocked with a code off ebay for 99p allowing any sim to be used. Also they allow up to 5 devices to connect to them. small, portable and rechargable to carry around to use when you need it..:xThumb:
Broken Link Removed

OR.... If you have a smart phone and depending on your supplier / contract why not just turn the phone on to "hotspot" then you can connect a standard ipad / tablet to that...

Just idea..

I have cameras at home and app on phone so log in just to check now and again :)

That Milkman seems to take his time !! :xrofl::xrofl:

Vanman

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2016
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R PVC
Exp
March 2017
Just a word of caution. Network connected CCTV systems are notorious security weak spots. There are several websites where you can go and watch other peoples houses/pets/babies. On top of that, they can be hacked to gain access to your router and once there they can access any of your home network now, or in the future. If you're determined to get some then make sure they are good enough to have regular firmware updates to keep up with the latest hacks.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back