Obtaining a French/eu passport for my little woof (1 Viewer)

Jbman

Free Member
Oct 3, 2021
Funster No
MH
Transit self build
Hello I’m hoping someone can share some experiences with me.

I have a little Tibetan terrier x toy poodle I will be taking to France in January. I have already been to my vets and spoken about this. I have a vaccination card and I understand what I need to do to get an AHC to take her to France. I have also found the post about the vets in folkstone who will do a pre arranged AHC for a very good price.

So for all of this information I thank you all!!

I have also seen the post of vets that are happy to give eu passports. And from what I have read it seems like it is not too difficult to obtain. I do have some questions though.

do I strictly have to have a French address? Or can I used any address such as a guest house or campsite? I am not a resident of France does this matter

has anyone used their eu pet passport Aquired since brexit <🤢 to re enter the uk? Also has anyone used it to go back to Europe again? Has anyone used it to travel to different European countries? Has anyone had any problems with said post brexit eu pet passport?

If all else fails I’ll have to travel on the AHC. has anyone any problems whilst in countries that are not the country the AHC was applied for? Such as I will be applying for an AHC to get to France but I wish to travel to Spain would this be a problem?

sorry for the lengthy post, any help would be much appreciated. And thank you

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
The vet we used near Chamonix seemed to think any French address would do, campsite, hotel etc. We used the dog’s brand new French passport when we returned to the U.K. No problem at all. Haven’t traveled to the EU again yet but not expecting any problems when we do.

OP
OP
Jbman

Jbman

Free Member
Oct 3, 2021
Funster No
MH
Transit self build
Thank you very much. This is very reassuring!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
do I strictly have to have a French address? Or can I used any address such as a guest house or campsite? I am not a resident of France does this matter

has anyone used their eu pet passport Aquired since brexit <🤢 to re enter the uk? Also has anyone used it to go back to Europe again? Has anyone used it to travel to different European countries? Has anyone had any problems with said post brexit eu pet passport?
Hi and welcome to the Fun!
:welcome3:

The requirements of French vets seems to vary widely. When I got my dog’s French pet passport back in March, they were happy to use my UK address and there was no mention of i-cad registration. At some point this year the French government apparently sent a directive to their vets, stating that I-cad registration was now a requirement to obtain a French pet passport. For I-cad registration you need a French address and for the dog to supposedly be in France for at least 3 months. However, while some vets seem to be following this directive, others are just giving a Gallic shrug and continuing to issue them to Brits. So really you need to ask any individual vet you are planning to use for their take on the situation.

I used my dog’s French pet passport to return to the UK at the end of March, and then again about 10 days ago to go back to Europe. No problems either time, although it is a good idea to keep your old UK pet passport or vaccination record with your new EU pet passport to show continuity. We used Eurotunnel both times.

Sep 3, 2009
NW Surrey
Funster No
MH
LHD Hymer exsis-i
We used La Mailleraye a couple of days ago for worming. They had a closely typed A4 sheet there explaining why they couldn’t issue passports to English dogs. Unfortunately I didn’t bother reading it since we’ve just got a Belgium passport. They did confirm, after a phone call to head office, that they could give a 3 year rabies jab when required

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
Doing a bit of research into the i-cad register, this has now appeared on their website:

3F27AA5E-FF64-4B14-BC89-51490148B5FB.png

Using google translate it reads as follows:

The veterinarian can only issue an Fr passport to an animal holding a UK passport after checking whether the animal's identification number has been recorded in the national identification file for domestic carnivores (I-CAD ) and that an identification card has been issued.
Otherwise, the veterinarian can register the animal in the ICAD national identification file, if the animal's stay in France exceeds a period of 3 months, in accordance with article 22. of the MA of August 1, 2012 relating to the identification of domestic carnivores.
When issuing the passport, the veterinarian must report and validate the identification and data relating to the valid rabies vaccination, adding the UK passport number as a reference.
The pet owner can keep the UK passport to justify valid vaccinations.

Wonder why they are seeking to deny only Brits, when they have been issuing pet passports to Americans, Australians and other Part 2 listed countries for years with no requirement for i-cad registration? :RollEyes:

OP
OP
Jbman

Jbman

Free Member
Oct 3, 2021
Funster No
MH
Transit self build
Wonder why they are seeking to deny only Brits, when they have been issuing pet passports to Americans, Australians and other Part 2 listed countries for years with no requirement for i-cad registration? :RollEyes:

I had heard elsewhere that Americans had been getting eu passports for their pets for years. So it seems pretty tried and tested in the case of part 2 listed countries. I’m also hoping to stay in France “europe” 😉 for three months at least so if all else fails I’ll just get one on the way home for when I next return.

May 4, 2015
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2000
I’m resurrecting this post to ask how dogs that have never has a pets passport at all have managed.
Casper had a French passport, but now he’s gone Jacques will be 6months old and will only have an AHC. Are the French vets needing any extra paperwork ? We have a French address if required. Also are the French insisting on a blood test, Casper had to have one.

Jun 14, 2014
Coventry
Funster No
MH
IH N680CFL
Exp
Since2014
I’m resurrecting this post to ask how dogs that have never has a pets passport at all have managed.
Casper had a French passport, but now he’s gone Jacques will be 6months old and will only have an AHC. Are the French vets needing any extra paperwork ? We have a French address if required. Also are the French insisting on a blood test, Casper had to have one.
Ruby had a UK passport. Obviously no good now.

We got the AHC for the last trip and we obtained a Fr passport with no French address in Sept no problem. The vet never asked to see the passport before seeing Ruby but I did produce it in her paperwork defiantly not required though and we returned end of sept no issues in fact she had less trouble getting into the UK than we did. Covid etc.
English speaking vet in Rochfort. Excellent. 57 Euro inc 3 year rabies

May 4, 2015
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2000
Ruby had a UK passport. Obviously no good now.

We got the AHC for the last trip and we obtained a Fr passport with no French address in Sept no problem. The vet never asked to see the passport before seeing Ruby but I did produce it in her paperwork defiantly not required though and we returned end of sept no issues in fact she had less trouble getting into the UK than we did. Covid etc.
English speaking vet in Rochfort. Excellent. 57 Euro inc 3 year rabies
Thank you, do you have a name for the vet please.

May 4, 2015
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2000
Thanks, that’s brilliant. We will be spending a few days near St Jean D’Angely where we used to have a house. It’s an easy ride to Rochefort from there.

Jun 14, 2014
Coventry
Funster No
MH
IH N680CFL
Exp
Since2014
I would e mail and ask if they will transfer the rabies information over from your AHC. We were lucky that Ruby was due her booster just after we returned anyway.
Enjoy your trip. certainly can't wait for June24th(y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back