Obligatory tracker (1 Viewer)

Jul 7, 2020
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Carthago Cmpct i143
Exp
Hi! Finally managed to picked up our (new to us) motorhome yesterday; we'd already insured it through AIBinsurance, but they are insisting that we must have a tracker fitted within a fortnight. It has to be Thatcham Category S5 or S6 and managed (ie not self-monitored).

We're looking for something not too expensive to install or run; the van already has a Thatcham Cat 1 alarm.
I know about eddievanbitz's VTS Shadow, but I've also read Eddie's thoughts on trackers :)

So, what do people suggest?

BillandHelen

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 17, 2013
Edinburgh United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
Wildax Elara
Exp
since 2004
Minxy Girl / Christoph is it the SmartTrak Protector Pro? Cheapest I've found is these people but the £199 cost doesn't appear to include the "DRS" keys you need to disable the system. How would it work without them?

Why don’t you phone Lynne Tanner, subscriptions at Global Telemetrics, I’ve found her very helpful and would take you through all the options and pricing. Tel 01530 275920 option 5

hope that helps.
Bill

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
I have the factory fitted Autotrail (Sargent) tracker fitted I dont pay the £99 per year or £297 3 year option
instead i stand the penalty of my Insurer to the tune of almost £1 per month thats right £11 a year for NOT having it switched on.....
Its wot they call a no brainer

That is, rather, my point. The CBA, at an individual policy holder level doesn’t stack up but, where they are fitted, they must reduce an insurers payout costs. The question becomes one of, at what level of take up does the balance shift where it is in the interests of both individual policy holders and insurers? 🤷‍♂️

So the discount given will cover the annual cost of maintaining the tracker year on year? Average is around £150 to £200 per annum.
Even a lifetime sub of £400 to £500 will take quite a few years to get back.

Indeed, it doesn’t make sense at an individual policyholder level but it must make sense for insurers to have them fitted. At some level of uptake it ought to make sense for both parties but that‘s not the case currently.

Ian

Upvote 0

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
Hi! Finally managed to picked up our (new to us) motorhome yesterday; we'd already insured it through AIBinsurance, but they are insisting that we must have a tracker fitted within a fortnight. It has to be Thatcham Category S5 or S6 and managed (ie not self-monitored).

We're looking for something not too expensive to install or run; the van already has a Thatcham Cat 1 alarm.
I know about eddievanbitz's VTS Shadow, but I've also read Eddie's thoughts on trackers :)

So, what do people suggest?
Whilst Eddie has a great alarm system he is not a fan of a Tracker and clearly others have a different opinion, Insurance companies are about managing risk and probabilities. Many Fleet operators may choose from a number of providers such as Vodaphone or Tracker if you do decide to purchase one of these rather than buy an annual tracking package sign up for 3 or 5 years its much cheaper

Upvote 0

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
I was really anti-trackers before we picked up the bus, but seeing it sitting on the drive, all shiny and "new", I've become quite a convert :)
Anything you can do to make your MoHo harder to steal has to be an investment, From Physical (ClutchClaw, Stop Lock and wheel clamp etc), an Alarm such as EddieVanbits supply, to Trackers, it all helps to protect your investment and whilst will never guarantee it will not be stolen it means your investment has some protection and an easier target may be taken.

What Insurance companies do not tell you is that if you loose an asset such as MoHo and they cannot recover full costs your file will be marked with an F rather than NF. So you make sure your vehicle its locked and secure then some B'tard breaks in and steals your keys and takes your vehicle, it is a Fault claim against you, in other words its no different if you had an accident, written off your vehicle and it was your fault.

So anything and everything you can do to protect your vehicle from theft is an investment.

Upvote 0

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Yes, I have an alarm, Yes, I have a tracker (self monitored), It also has a switch which cuts the Fuel Pump Power feed OFF. So if it gets nicked I can cut the fuel pump off. Not going anywhere without fuel?. While I was at it, I put a second, manual, (hidden) switch in the circuit. If it is left for any length of time I can physically cut the fuel pump off. As it is Parked behind locked gates and covered by CCTV 24/7?. I think all the possible bases are covered? I would walk away from any Insurer that wanted me to PAY for a tracker monitoring. The same system, did not stop our neighbour laying in her own blood for hours despite her have pressed the warning button on her neck band!. Who watches the watchers? Eh?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Allansheila

Free Member
Apr 17, 2018
Carmarthenshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2007
i had no option but to fit a tracker on a new bailey £55.000 comfort wanted a tracker or alarm fitted within 14 days vanbitz were unable to an alarm fit for a couple of months but i managed to get a tracker from smart track.

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We made an enquiry last year and had an indicative quote from and they didn't need tracker or alarm but then come the crunch the underwriter said tracker, suits me as the remote battery monitoring is handy and I get a map where it's parked just incase I forget.

Martin
Like you could 'misplace' a Morelo Palace!!!! :LOL:

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Minxy Girl / Christoph is it the SmartTrak Protector Pro? Cheapest I've found is these people but the £199 cost doesn't appear to include the "DRS" keys you need to disable the system. How would it work without them?
Yup that's it, it is linked to your vehicle's remote key and you get a tracker fob too, so you don't need the DRS keys to activate/deactivate it. We haven't got them as it wasn't a requirement for our insurance anyway.

Upvote 0
Mar 28, 2019
DERBY
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo
Exp
since 2012
We have a Vodafone VTS system, very good service, the company call within a minute of me driving it and forgetting the little fob:oops2:... Can see where vehicle is, trip reports, status such as voltage of device etc, set certain criteria for ferry, garage mode etc.
We also have this and agree the company is brill they have called us a few times :rolleyes: so we know it works. My parents have also downloaded the app so they track us whilst we’re touring (Bit like santa tracking at Christmas 😂) so they always know we’ve safely arrived at our next destination. 😁

Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
Do you mean it's gone down to 50k as it's been 75k for at least 6 or 7 years, it was 50k when we had our first van in 2008.

£50k is the threshold for an alarm + tracker that I was told in 2016. I remember it well. Anyway it is academic now.

Upvote 0
Oct 8, 2014
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Compactline 143
Exp
I'm a newbie and always will be. You never know it all.
I can only imagine that a Tracker requirement is more to do with post code than level of security or value of M/H. I, just yesterday, re insured my 60k van with AIB, underwritten by Aviva and no tracker required, it was also a couple of shekels cheaper than last year.
I really would have another word with AIB if I were you. (y)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
MajorClanger
Jul 7, 2020
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Carthago Cmpct i143
Exp
All,

We've decided to go with Global Telemetrics' SmarTrack Protector Pro Global, due to time constraints.
£180 (inc VAT) installation, and £399 for a lifetime subscription. They're coming to fit it next week.

Thanks everybody for your advice!

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back