Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I reckon I would live longer eating more lettuce, carrots, cabbage and the like, and not eating any bacon and sausage butties or Double Whopper burgers with extra cheese and bacon (no pickle) and the like...

but...

If I stopped doing and/or eating all the things I like doing and eating, I doubt I would want to live longer.

Life without burgers etc and sitting on my bum thinking (for hours) would be so tiresome.

JJ :cool:

Last edited:
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
If I stopped doing and/or eating all the things I like doing and eating I doubt I would want to live longer.

Life without burgers etc and sitting on my bum thinking (for hours) would be so tiresome.

You forgot to mention the FB pies and doughnuts

Did you run out ?

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
You forgot to mention the FB pies and doughnuts

Excuse me sir...

If you read my post again (carefully) you will notice the abbreviation "etc" which covers the items you mentioned.

Deleting this "etc" in your "quote" is a devious and sneaky way of trying to make your comment valid.

My legal people have been informed.

Now where is my Christmas Card list and the Tipex?

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
I never heard of anyone that died healthy :).

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Reactions: JJ
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
My legal people have been informed.

Now where is my Christmas Card list and the Tipex?

That's regrettable Sir

Mrs C has been making up hampers of 'Blighty Delights' for deserving folk we might meet along life's highway (whilst driving at sedentary pace)

Please pass me the Tipex when you've finished.

Baileysbus

Free Member
Aug 2, 2016
Fife
Funster No
Exp
Start of 2016
As for sugar...it's all those promoted low-fat products that have too much hidden sugar. I say cut out the sugar and then eat normally. Trouble is that means cut out the wine ! Oops do as I say not as I do:D
Totally agree with avoiding added sugar in all its hidden forms. Wine though is fermented and fermented foods are really good for you (y). That's my excuse anyway :pop:

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
I think much obesity is about a lazy culture, not just sugar. It's too easy to grab fast food, a bag of crisps a coke, fish and chips , a McD or a takeaway.
For us these are very rare, a balanced diet with modest portions with fruit and veg are cheap and easy.
Visit any McDs lunchtime and see the fat young women giving their kids
"a treat" , too bloody lazy to cook proper food , also the amount of school children having a Big Mac and fries. This is the way they are brought up and are gluttons of the future . Frightening :Eeek:

Derbyshire wanderer

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
15 years
I think much obesity is about a lazy culture, not just sugar. It's too easy to grab fast food, a bag of crisps a coke, fish and chips , a McD or a takeaway.
For us these are very rare, a balanced diet with modest portions with fruit and veg are cheap and easy.
Visit any McDs lunchtime and see the fat young women giving their kids
"a treat" , too bloody lazy to cook proper food , also the amount of school children having a Big Mac and fries. This is the way they are brought up and are gluttons of the future . Frightening :Eeek:
Very true
I am convinced that the real issue is processed food. Natural ingredients already have the right balance of 'good sugars, fat and fibre'.
Still balance is required of ingredients, intake and exercise to try to be healthy.
If this is generally followed, occasional treats do no harm.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Beer is ok cos it's made from Maltose rather than Sucrose.
However you can't ignore the calories.

In avoiding sugar I've made the following changes to my diet.

Swapped Fruit Juice at breakfast for Milk

Swapped 'clusters' type breakfast cereal for Shreaded Wheat or Porridge Oats

Swapped low fat yoghurt for full fat or Greek

Stopped eating chocolate and Ice Cream (Mrs C is going to make some sugar free ice cream for me)

I recently had a liver scan which showed I had 'fatty liver' and nothing was said at the time, but I nearly pooped myself when I saw the DVD
Who are you and what have you done with the real Robert Clark who posts pictures of himself eating all sorts of things including ice cream. More importantly what have you done with the lovely Lis.

KeithChesterfield

Free Member
May 20, 2015
Stand Road Chesterfield
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since 2010
Who's telling whoppers? .......

SHARON FOOD 1.jpg

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
I agree about calorie intake

The film showed how swapping a 2500 calorie low sugar diet for a 2500 'healthy' diet lead to fatty liver disease and 6kg weight gain in just 2 months.

Watch the film - then decide

I watched the film on Youtube. I can't explain his weight gain (although there are studies in progress investigating the impact on gut bacteria on weight gain (a change of diet to the processed food might have created better conditions for bacteria that boost fat gain)) but the majority of the programme appeared to be sensationalising what is already known; manufacturers add sugar to many of their products to boost sales, processed foods aren't as good for you as they might want you to think and refined foods lead to greater consumption. The science of the investigation is poor (no controlled study), the calorific measurements are poorly done (it is very difficult to estimate callorie intake) and the physiology and biochemistry science is not explored or expanded sufficiently to give it credibility (some of the arguments have been shown to be invalid or tenuous). See here for further reading.

In summary, sugar will boost weight (fat gain) if the intake is greater than the expenditure but, as with all things, everything in moderation and cut out processed food to reduce callorie intake and move more to use up what you take in .

Reactions: DBK

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
Fat people always say it is gland trouble to an extent they are right the gland on the face (mouth) is much bigger than the gland in their arse!

The Dotties

Free Member
Jan 31, 2015
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Ex Newbie
Became seriously worried by my weight at 19st 11lb last week of May.
Joined Slimming World, and just following their diet plans have lost 3s 8lb to date.
I intend staying on it for a while yet, I do need to shift another 3 to 3 1/2 stone.
No more bread, pastries, sweets or chocolate.
All our food is fresh, and I'm lucky in that the mem sahib is a good cook and happy to watch me disappear!
We find that our food taste a lot better, and still enjoy meat ( lean) as much fruit and veg that we like. Full roasts and full English are allowed, it all hinges on how it is prepared. Any sauces are prepared freshly nothing comes from tins. No take aways McD or Greggs, but not hard to leave out as we never went that often.
Biscuits were a big problem, haven't missed them to be honest, and sweets/ toffees are off the menu, but I'm really happy with the Increase in mobility and feeling freer.
But watch out. Clothing costs are high! Trouser waist band down from 48 to 42.
I am really glad I started on this path.
Geoff

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Became seriously worried by my weight at 19st 11lb last week of May.
Joined Slimming World, and just following their diet plans have lost 3s 8lb to date.
I intend staying on it for a while yet, I do need to shift another 3 to 3 1/2 stone.
No more bread, pastries, sweets or chocolate.
All our food is fresh, and I'm lucky in that the mem sahib is a good cook and happy to watch me disappear!
We find that our food taste a lot better, and still enjoy meat ( lean) as much fruit and veg that we like. Full roasts and full English are allowed, it all hinges on how it is prepared. Any sauces are prepared freshly nothing comes from tins. No take aways McD or Greggs, but not hard to leave out as we never went that often.
Biscuits were a big problem, haven't missed them to be honest, and sweets/ toffees are off the menu, but I'm really happy with the Increase in mobility and feeling freer.
But watch out. Clothing costs are high! Trouser waist band down from 48 to 42.
I am really glad I started on this path.
Geoff

Keep at it , life will be so much better , good luck (y)

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Just ate a Mars bar

They are NOT for Eating, the primary use of the Mars bar is as a Measure of How much the exchange rate has changed over time!. The Mars bar, It the standard of currency value when relating the cost of any Purchase in Historical terms.:whistle::whistle::whistle:

HOWEVER, The "Wagon Wheel" Is definitely Smaller!.

P.s. I have been 12stone +- 1/2st for the last 55years. Well OK one trip in '73, I ballooned to 14st but that was on a Passenger ship and we had to "entertain" at all meal times, and be seen to "circulate", 3 to 4 courses 3 times a day is not conducive to keeping low weigh gain!
Pete

Last edited:

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
No seems to have mention exercise..... Eating is one thing burning it off is the key... I come from a Martial Arts background. Started at the age of 11 still train to this day but not as much. All of my siblings my mum and dad were or are fat. I'm big built at 6.4 and 18 stone but not fat. OK not everyone wants to train or do fitness so if you don't eat less and watch what you eat it's an easy formula just not hard to follow.

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
No seems to have mention exercise..... Eating is one thing burning it off is the key... I come from a Martial Arts background. Started at the age of 11 still train to this day but not as much. All of my siblings my mum and dad were or are fat. I'm big built at 6.4 and 18 stone but not fat. OK not everyone wants to train or do fitness so if you don't eat less and watch what you eat it's an easy formula just not hard to follow.

The ELMM diet has been mentioned a few times... Eating less and moving more is a great start to weight loss. Then being more critical of the types of foods eaten and the exercise undertaken will result in more weight loss and a healthier body.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back