OBD2 Readers (1 Viewer)

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
Has any one purchased a OBD2 cable and laptop softwear? and if so would you recomend it/them?

Doug...

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
I have an OBII reader

I purchased off of Amazon an OBII reader to use on my RV... which has a V10 engine. I paid around £24 including postage.. it only reads on the handheld (no batteries needed) and it will give me fault codes and reads the chassis number. It is basic, but there is a code book with it to read the codes and there are a number of free internet code sites that will even tell you what the fault means and how to correct it. i.e how to clean an oxygen sensor and which one it will be... the unit is orange in colur and also has a clear fault button.

You can get more expensive items that have an interface lead with them and a cd for the computer.. but this one works just fine.

Bob

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Has any one purchased a OBD2 cable and laptop softwear? and if so would you recomend it/them?

Doug...

Do a search, I'm sure this has been done this year. A Bluetooth reader was suggested which means you can leave it plugged in all the time and get data displayed on laptop or mobile phone so you can have MPG whilst driving.

I have an old Elmscan 5 which is wired to RS232 on the laptop. Works. Problem can be translating odd codes to real faults but the internet usually manages to translate Sensor 24 to something useful.

I didn't have a suitable phone at the time, I may need to rethink this now, mpg would be very interesting.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back